Hibernation - Inactivity Timer upon resume

rbmcgee

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005

I can't believe this isn't a more widespread issue but after
searching, the problem doesn't seem to have even been posted.

I'm running an old P3 Intel board (815) as a server in my home
network. When my computer wakes from hibernation, an inactivity
timer is reset that will cause the computer to re-hibernate after 5
minutes of inactivity regardless of power management settings
(including NEVER). This is not a laptop.

Here is a MS article that refers to the issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318355

Contents:
SYMPTOMS
After your computer returns (or "wakes up") from hibernation, it may
enter hibernation again after five minutes of inactivity, regardless
of the settings you have configured in the Power Options tool in
Control Panel.
Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
The computer's BIOS performs a full boot while it returns from
hibernation and clears any wakeup signals that might be active.
Therefore, Windows cannot determine why the computer woke up. Windows
then return to hibernation after five minutes of inactivity to avoid
situations such as, for example, a program waking up the computer and
then causing the battery to drain while the computer is not being
used.

Can anybody recommend a workaround (activity/command/registry setting)
that will cancel this timer?

Some caveats:
* Completely disabling hibernation is obviously not an option.
* Performing normal computer activities (serving a movie, mouse move,
open/close program) will not clear this timer. 5 minutes after no
activity (even after 3 hours of massive activity) will cause the
computer to re-hibernate.
* A reboot upon waking will clear the timer although to a great
extent, that defeats the purpose of hibernation (although that's my
current kludge)
* I've got the most recent (and final) BIOS for the board.
* MS claims there is no setting in the registry but rather is a
function of the kernal although this issue seems to have caught the
help desk off guard so I'm not sure how much they really know.

I'm looking for a registry setting, command, anything that will clear
this timer. Even if the command/setting/etc. has to be executed
every time the computer wakes up.

BTW, XP Home SP2.

Malke

rbmcgee wrote:

> I can't believe this isn't a more widespread issue but after
> searching, the problem doesn't seem to have even been posted.
>
> I'm running an old P3 Intel board (815) as a server in my home
> network. When my computer wakes from hibernation, an inactivity
> timer is reset that will cause the computer to re-hibernate after 5
> minutes of inactivity regardless of power management settings
> (including NEVER). This is not a laptop.
>
> Here is a MS article that refers to the issue:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318355
>
> Contents:
> SYMPTOMS
> After your computer returns (or "wakes up") from hibernation, it may
> enter hibernation again after five minutes of inactivity, regardless
> of the settings you have configured in the Power Options tool in
> Control Panel.
> Back to the top
>
> MORE INFORMATION
> The computer's BIOS performs a full boot while it returns from
> hibernation and clears any wakeup signals that might be active.
> Therefore, Windows cannot determine why the computer woke up. Windows
> then return to hibernation after five minutes of inactivity to avoid
> situations such as, for example, a program waking up the computer and
> then causing the battery to drain while the computer is not being
> used.
>
> Can anybody recommend a workaround (activity/command/registry setting)
> that will cancel this timer?
>
> Some caveats:
> * Completely disabling hibernation is obviously not an option.
> * Performing normal computer activities (serving a movie, mouse move,
> open/close program) will not clear this timer. 5 minutes after no
> activity (even after 3 hours of massive activity) will cause the
> computer to re-hibernate.
> * A reboot upon waking will clear the timer although to a great
> extent, that defeats the purpose of hibernation (although that's my
> current kludge)
> * I've got the most recent (and final) BIOS for the board.
> * MS claims there is no setting in the registry but rather is a
> function of the kernal although this issue seems to have caught the
> help desk off guard so I'm not sure how much they really know.
>
> I'm looking for a registry setting, command, anything that will clear
> this timer. Even if the command/setting/etc. has to be executed
> every time the computer wakes up.
>
> BTW, XP Home SP2.

Why is disabling hibernation not an option? Normally, you would never
want a server to hibernate. If you're just concerned about electricity
usage for the monitor (valid concern!), then either just blank the
monitor, turn the monitor off, or run a headless server.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com