Sign in with
Your question

Which LCD monitor for gaming?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 7, 2006 5:50:38 PM

Hi, currently trying to find the best 19" LCD to replace my old cheap blurry CRT (around £250 maximum, $464).

I will mainly be gaming and watching movies, I want the best picture possible with no ghosting or anything.

I am pretty close to buying the Viewsonic VX922, I read it is the best LCD for gaming right now but it is also pretty old, end of 2005 so maybe theres better now.

I then found this Samsung SM 940BF which even though I found very few reviews about it, people say it is good for gaming too, but I also read elsewhere that it is just an average monitor not worth buying (Quote from ZDNet, The bad: Limited adjustment options; no cable-feed system; expensive, given mediocre features and performance.).

I have no idea which one to go for, I like the look of the samsung better than the Viewsonic, also the Samsung has 50 more contrast ratio, but I have no idea which one would be best for gaming, movies, internet etc.

Also according to a review here the Viewsonic is very good not going above 10ms at all, but no such detailed review exists for the Samsung, so kinda leaning towards the Viewsonic

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: Ugh, reading around more, apparently the VX922 is terrible with movies/DVD, blue colours don't look right at all and moving very slightly up/down/left/right will make it hard to see the screen. I don't know anymore, as far as I can see, all LCD monitors are crap.

I just want something that is great for gaming and movies, and displays all colouring properly, how hard could it be.

More about : lcd monitor gaming

June 8, 2006 2:33:05 AM

VX922 very fast, very good for gaming, offset is the video noise when watching movies, very bad.

Your best all-rounder, for both gaming and movies, would be the VP930, but then you have to be willing to deal with the backlight bleeding.
June 13, 2006 1:43:59 AM

BenQ recently debuted its 2ms 19-inch LCD monitor (FP93G X) with a 2 MS response time, which it claims to be the world’s fastest monitor. The monitor is targeting the gamer market. To decrease its response time, the monitor employs BenQ’s original Advanced Motion Accelerator (AMA) technology that accelerates the twisting speed of liquid crystal by increasing the voltage, which helps the monitor increase its performance to a similar level of a CRT monitor. The Viewsonic VX922 also has a 2 MS response time.

I own one and i'm very satisfied. :wink:
Related resources
June 18, 2006 8:07:24 PM

Well i have been looking into an LCD monitor as well and was looking at the VX922 but i found the samsung 204B and it looks really nice. There are some mixed reviews about it, but I bet it on quality control. It also has a response of 5ms and well it seems to be hold to its claims so far as well. Another great thing about the samsung is that there is a 0 dead "bright" pixel policy for the first 30 days, so if you get it look really hard for dead pixels =p.

Here's a review(not sure about reliability but...)
Review

Good luck on your LCD hunt
June 19, 2006 11:25:35 AM

Thanks, all monitors I seem to find reviews for either say its crap for movies or just crap in general, theres always SOMETHING wrong with every monitor.

Wouldn't go 20", only got a 6600GT.

Finally settled on the Samsung 940BF, the 940B is highly ranked and even though this premium 940BF has crap features and a useless stand, it's at least good for everything and not just one thing.
June 20, 2006 7:11:39 PM

Got the 940BF, very nice screen, but either its my eyes or the top left corner looks like it sticks out a bit, as in closer to me than the rest of the screen as if the screen has been stretched out, meh I dunno maybe it needs to be used more only been 6 or so hours, top of the screen is quite hot to touch compared to most of it being like room temp, is it normal for the very top to get warm?

Also the stand is a POS, in a review I saw it could at least be tilted, but mine doesn't seem to be able to even do that and wouldn't wanna force it and break it, can you buy alternatives? hmm would be good if something could be hacked up to allow normal tilting and highering/lowering.
June 20, 2006 9:16:09 PM

I like the widescreens. Especially if you can rotate the screen to portrait. Dell has lowered the price on their 8ms 19" widescreen to $300. You can optionally get the stand to rotate it for under $100. Can't say I'm in love with Dell, but I'm eyeing that screen and any like it.
October 11, 2008 7:30:33 AM

I have my eye on this Samsung 22" that is good for both of your need and has a killer bang for your buck ratio. But a word to the wise, it has its draw backs and therefore I am waiting to see if a few more days will get me to see a better one than this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 21, 2008 8:23:41 PM

Thread necromancy ftw knife?
!