The computer will only boot partway. I get a system shutdown in 60 seconds
even before I get to the desktop. It says lsass.exe terminated unexpectedly.
Also 1073741819 shows as a status code.

I've tried Safe Mode and last known good configuration and neither works.

I've tried taking the hard drive out of the computer and installing it as a
second drive to scan for viruses. I've used AVG and NAV, both updated, to
scan for viruses. I've also used Fxsasser.exe from Symantec to scan the
drive. None of these found anything at all.

I've also tried replacing the lsass.exe file with a known good one.

I cannot get the computer to boot so I cannot do anything with the drive
while it is in the computer.

How can I fix this?

Duck wrote:
> The computer will only boot partway. I get a system shutdown in 60 seconds
> even before I get to the desktop. It says lsass.exe terminated unexpectedly.
> Also 1073741819 shows as a status code.
>
> I've tried Safe Mode and last known good configuration and neither works.
>
> I've tried taking the hard drive out of the computer and installing it as a
> second drive to scan for viruses. I've used AVG and NAV, both updated, to
> scan for viruses. I've also used Fxsasser.exe from Symantec to scan the
> drive. None of these found anything at all.
>
> I've also tried replacing the lsass.exe file with a known good one.
>
> I cannot get the computer to boot so I cannot do anything with the drive
> while it is in the computer.
>
> How can I fix this?

Slave the drive again in the other machine and copy off all your data files.

With the drive back in the orig machine you may try a repair install:

but in my experience this sort of issue has required a clean install of
the OS, including deleting the existing partition:

Steve

You've got one of the Sasser worms.

Check the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

From: "Duck" <Duck@discussions.microsoft.com>

| The computer will only boot partway. I get a system shutdown in 60 seconds
| even before I get to the desktop. It says lsass.exe terminated unexpectedly.
| Also 1073741819 shows as a status code.
|
| I've tried Safe Mode and last known good configuration and neither works.
|
| I've tried taking the hard drive out of the computer and installing it as a
| second drive to scan for viruses. I've used AVG and NAV, both updated, to
| scan for viruses. I've also used Fxsasser.exe from Symantec to scan the
| drive. None of these found anything at all.
|
| I've also tried replacing the lsass.exe file with a known good one.
|
| I cannot get the computer to boot so I cannot do anything with the drive
| while it is in the computer.
|
| How can I fix this?

Download the patch (below). Put the patch, Stinger on media (CDROM, ZIP Disk, USB Flash
drive, etc) disconnect the affected PC from the Internet and install the patch. Then reboot
the PC and perform the following scan of the PC using Stinger and the below Multi AV Commnad
Line Scanner front end utility !

If you have the SHUTDOWN.EXE utility from the Win2K Resource kit, you can perform the
following when you get the shutdown message.

Go to; Start --> Run
enter; shutdown /a

If you don't have the SHUTDOWN.EXE utility, I have posted a copy in the News Group;
alt.binaries.comp.virus
In the post entitled "SHUTDOWN.EXE for Win2K platforms for RPC/DCOM and LSASS shutdown
issues"

This will halt the shutdown and give you a chance to Download the McAfee worm removal tool,
Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Please read the following URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser_printxp.mspx

Install the following patch for the LSASS vulnerability addressed by; KB835732
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0692C27E-F63A-414C-B3EB-D2342FBB6C00&displaylang=en

Please read: http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

You also need a FireWall. If you don't patch the PC and not use a FireWall then you will
just be re-infected.
I also suggest the installation of ALL MS Critical Updates ASAP.

You can also scan the system using the below multi AV Command Line Scanner front end utility

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } two batch files, four Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using up to 3 different Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to remove
viruses and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
On Win9x/ME the choices are; Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC
On NT4, Win2k, WinXP and Win2003 Server the choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the
menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE and/or FTP.EXE to go
through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor related files.

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

None of this will work as I cannot get into Windows with the affected
computer. Not in Safe Mode either.

The computer shuts down before I can do anything in Windows.

From: "tfw48079" <tfw48079@discussions.microsoft.com>

| You've got one of the Sasser worms.
|
| Check the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

That's a faux conclusion as many infectors now will exploit the buffer overflow
vulnerability in LSASS. This isncludes variants of MyDoom and the SDBot worms.

From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>

Oooops !

Why did I think I picked this up in a Win2K News Group ? Do'h !!
-----

Download the patch (below). Put the patch, Stinger on media (CDROM, ZIP Disk, USB Flash
drive, etc) disconnect the affected PC from the Internet and install the patch. Then reboot
the PC and perform the following scan of the PC using Stinger and the below Multi AV Commnad
Line Scanner front end utility !

Whjen you get the shutdown message...

Go to; Start --> Run
enter; shutdown -a

This will halt the shutdown and give you a chance to Download the McAfee worm removal tool,
Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Please read the following URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser_printxp.mspx

Please read: http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

Please install the patch that fixes the Lsass vulnerability that the Sasser and other
infectors exploit -- KB835732
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3549EA9E-DA3F-43B9-A4F1-AF243B6168F3&displaylang=en

From: "Duck" <Duck@discussions.microsoft.com>

| None of this will work as I cannot get into Windows with the affected
| computer. Not in Safe Mode either.
|
| The computer shuts down before I can do anything in Windows.

See my coprrective updated post. As indicated...

"disconnect the affected PC from the Internet " -- If it is a worm or other Internet based
LSASS Exploit then not having a connection to the Internet will block the ability of the
Exploit to force the shutdown.

If you do NOT have the PC connected to the Internet and you still get the NT
AUTHORITY/SYSTEM shutdown message then there is a problem in the Kernel of the WinXP PC.

When you get the shutdown message...

Go to; Start --> Run
enter; shutdown -a

This will halt the shutdown and give you a chance to Download Stinger and the patch.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

I guess I'll have to do a wipe and reload.

Thanks for your help.