Your question

Recovering data from a healthy drive

Tags:
  • Data Recovery
  • SATA
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
August 20, 2012 11:34:44 PM

Had a desktop motherboard fry and pulled the harddisk for recovery. SATA from Win 7 OS. Started up a new Win 7 machine, attached the SATA drive (as a D: slave). The OS sees the disk and started a search for my data (looking for PST files). It found them....then poof! gone! No longer viewable in the search window. Even after rebooting the PST seach comes back empty. Is this a security issue? Are there tools that will get around the Win 7 security or whatever is blocking me from finding and copying my data. Thanks for any help!

More about : recovering data healthy drive

August 20, 2012 11:38:31 PM

What is the best way to recover data from a healthy drive that has a failed motherboard? (SATA drive - desktop internal - from Win 7 OS environment)
m
l
August 20, 2012 11:40:57 PM

plug it in to another computer
m
l
Related resources
August 20, 2012 11:41:56 PM

Put it in another working computer that has enough space to copy or use external drive to copy to.
-Bruce
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 21, 2012 12:56:20 AM

Hi :) 

Ignoring the pst files...can you see ALL the other files on the drive ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 21, 2012 12:58:16 AM

Duplicate posts not allowed here, even when you change the title...

Wastes everyones time...

m
l
August 21, 2012 2:25:56 AM

This next topics has been merged by Proximon
  • Need Help: Can\'t access data on slave drive Win7
    m
    l
    August 21, 2012 5:27:33 PM

MarkL_2010 said:
    What is the best way to recover data from a healthy drive that has a failed motherboard? (SATA drive - desktop internal - from Win 7 OS environment)

I have moved the drive to a new computer. The original drive was on a networked PC (Win 7 to a Windows 2003 server). Here is the strange part and why I posted this question - I did a search for some data, located it and copied several files to another drive. Then while doing an additional search, the system returned the search items in the search window and then suddenly they disappeared. Now every search I do on the drive returns a null result. Even searching for data I already was able to remove. My theory is that there is some type of security issue that took a few minutes to take effect and now it is blocking me from getting to the data that was on a networked PC. Does this sound logical? Anyone with an idea on how to get around this problem? Thanks in advance.
    m
    l
    August 21, 2012 5:31:27 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Ignoring the pst files...can you see ALL the other files on the drive ?

Only a few files that are not a data type (system files). Checked on unhiding views no issues there. Files that were visible within the first few minutes are no longer accessible or searchable.
    m
    l
    a b $ Windows 7
    August 21, 2012 5:53:49 PM

If you cannot see all the other files, you will probably need a data recovery company...

m
    l
    August 21, 2012 6:04:42 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Duplicate posts not allowed here, even when you change the title...

Wastes everyones time...

Sorry first time using this and the category originally selected (security) probably was not the best choice so I placed the question in a different category.... do all members see all categories?
    m
    l
    a b $ Windows 7
    August 21, 2012 6:28:34 PM

Maybe try Recuva.
    m
    l
    August 21, 2012 6:37:56 PM

MidnightDistort said:
    Maybe try Recuva.

I was hoping to understand the basis for why the data is not appearing ... is this a Microsoft security barrier. Reading the drive (bad sectors) is not an issue, drive is fine. I'm looking to see if there is a way to reset a parameter or setting that will allow me to once again see the data....assuming it is a security issue. Answer for me will be helpful for future situations, not just this one. Thanks for idea!!!
    m
    l
    a b $ Windows 7
    August 21, 2012 6:42:49 PM

Well if the drive that was connected to the motherboard that died, it's possible you could have some corrupted data.. doesn't have to be a bad hard drive. You can still find errors on the drive, but nothing is wrong with the drive itself.
    m
    l
    August 21, 2012 7:01:12 PM

MidnightDistort said:
    Well if the drive that was connected to the motherboard that died, it's possible you could have some corrupted data.. doesn't have to be a bad hard drive. You can still find errors on the drive, but nothing is wrong with the drive itself.

I see your point, however because I was able to see the data for about 30 seconds in the search window....then it disappeared, I am assuming security issue. Was able to copy a number of files in the initial search, however those files are now not searchable so...again points to something that is hiding the files.
    m
    l
    !