Tags:
  • Article Discussions
  • File Sharing
  • P2P
  • Tom's Guide
  • Product
Last response: in Tom's Guide
June 8, 2006 4:57:36 PM

Does it seem like everyone else except you is downloading or swapping files using a peer-to-peer file sharing? Benjamin Webb provides a tour of ten P2P applications to help get you started, or to find a better one than you now use

More about : beginner guide p2p

June 8, 2006 8:56:25 PM

y didnt u mention the USENET method that be regarded as the best of the
best ?
June 8, 2006 9:49:30 PM

How about Kazaa Lite ++? It works great for me still! Lot's of files, lots of nodes, good speed, and NO spyware!
Related resources
June 8, 2006 9:59:27 PM

Well I wasnt going to mention kazaa because of obvious spyware issues and the fact that many of their files are corrupted or viruses. Kazaa's user base is also smaller then many of these other programs. Kazaa lite is an illegal hacked version of kazaa . Although it would be ironic if Kazaa started going after its user base for using it. It elevates people who uses its priority. This is usually done by a share ratio deal with normal kazaa.
June 8, 2006 10:33:46 PM

I am not perfect and I have never used or heard of USENET although the concept is interesting. Using postings to exchange files. The multiple servers would definitely give USENET very good download speeds though.
June 8, 2006 11:20:01 PM

/ In reply to the author of the article discussed:

With DC++ you can download from an infinite number of users at the same time. Where did you ever get the idea that you can only have one download slot open? You say you have used the program for many years??
June 9, 2006 12:03:18 AM

Quick remark,

I'm using Shereaza for more than the year and i didn't have major problems with it.

I use it with wireless connection with router and now DSL with no problems. I didn't need to set up Shereaza nor router. Just install and start searching.

Succes really depend on search you make. For files that are rare better forget but files that lot of people share. . . . . . . . different story.

What i notice is that most of hits are from EDonkey2000 where i need to wait for download but usually i'm downloading more than one thing so i really don't care.
The best download you get with Gnutella2 but not much hits. BitTorrent works fine when you have good torrent file.

What i like with Shereaza is add free, addaware, spyware (and any other ware) free and also the fact that i have "all in one" program.

Maybe there are better programs on the net but Shereaza does what i need.

Huh, for my first post this is enough :oops: 
June 9, 2006 1:32:59 AM

i believe he meant that you can only connect to one user for a particular file at a time with DC++, which is true. however there are variations of DC++, like strongdc++, and LDC++ that allow you to do segment downloading much alike torrent files.
June 9, 2006 2:47:04 AM

Thats very interesting. I knew there were other direct connect clients. How much does that capability increase download speed?
June 9, 2006 3:11:06 AM

i believe the segment downloading is limited to 10 users, so say there are 10 users available with an open slot and they all had say a speed of 50kb/s each then your total download speed would be 500kb/s, but its rare to get 10 fast users, but it definitely improves your speed from being stuck with one user who may be slower giving you the oppurtunity to connect to other faster users
June 9, 2006 10:28:04 AM

well if I ever write a follow up Ill be sure to include it.
June 9, 2006 11:52:38 AM

Yes you can download as many files as you have slots but with DC++ you can only download from one user at a time for a download.
June 9, 2006 1:47:25 PM

posting for a reader
Quote:
I personally don't agree that a con of BitTorrent is finding .torrent files. If a random person who is computer illiterate went to Google and typed "Torrent" the second link is for TorrentSpy. So it is hardly inconceivable that finding torrents can be difficult.

Also, it introduced me to a few (2 to be exact) new P2P programs. After reading the article, I wouldn't want to try them myself. BitTorrent is the current king of P2P regardless of what other sites suggest (such as Download.com or CNET or *insert random page here*). MiniNova and TorrentSpy are the top two sites for torrents for public use, among the many private use sites for torrents.

You could have also applied that private websites for torrents (where registration with a valid e-mail from your ISP) will provide the fastest results as your download and upload ratio are carefully watched and scripted. With regards to public torrent sites, quite a few people just download what they want, then close the torrent file.

Also, years ago, several I must say. Direct Connect was the private program to get access to tonnes of content. Then DC++ came around and that was the new wave. Also, you can download from multiple people at the same time, just not more than (1) file from the same person. Direct Connect started fading about 2 years ago when BitTorrent was gaining headway. I disliked that at first, but BitTorrent is so much faster.

Fantastic article though, I've gotten a few of my friends into BitTorrent as well, and even though one of them still doesn't grasp it, they both love the speeds. I get around 300-500 KB/s (Kilobytes) on Private sites (Eastlink is my ISP, 10MB (Megabits) connection).
June 9, 2006 1:49:11 PM

more reader feedback:
Quote:
Getting shareaza to connect to the G1 network is sometimes a problem but once u get it set up its comparable to limewire since it connects to limewire and bearshare hubs more frequently than any other on the G1 network. Try power mode that way you can see what hubs you are connected to exactly. also use the discovery service f11 i think and query them until u get one that doesnt say failure.

I think by default shareaza only connects to its own network so u need to manually get it to connect to the others. It connects to the edonkey/emule network easily but doesn't have global search like emule. Make sure your upload speed is set to greater than 2KB/s or G1 networks like limewire might refuse a connection.

In terms of bittorrent its not done properly better to use a seperate bittorrent client. It works but speed is worse than using a proper client like bitcomet, azureus because its not as aggressive and some other problems which cause other clients to refuse connections to shareaza i think.
June 9, 2006 8:54:15 PM

No utorrent recognition?

www.utorrent.com

I believe this is one of the best Clients out there.
Its a simple yet informative layout is really nice.
It has built in Search features that links you to the popular torrent sites.
Its Low Ram usage and the fact that its only 150KB is a nice feature.

Check it out!
June 9, 2006 10:34:03 PM

Quote:
No utorrent recognition?

www.utorrent.com

I believe this is one of the best Clients out there.
Its a simple yet informative layout is really nice.
It has built in Search features that links you to the popular torrent sites.
Its Low Ram usage and the fact that its only 150KB is a nice feature.

Check it out!

I also use utorrent and I like it. I have been using bittorrent for 3 or 4 years now and I works really well. It is quite a contrast to other P2P methods (although I admit that I haven't used any for at least a couple of years). Bittorrent is very fast (pretty much as fast as your internet connection will allow), but there are vastly fewer files. That being said, the files that are there pretty much always work.

I would love to find a file sharing app that was pretty much like napster (or early kazaa) and was fast like bittorrent. I find it extremely difficult to find music that I want using bittorrent, movies are a little better, games and common apps are usually pretty easy to find. I miss the 'view user's file' option in kazaa, so much music I listen to now I found using that function.
June 9, 2006 11:01:23 PM

Why on the face of the planet do we need this? Anybody who doesn't know how to do this already is likely to get viruses, spyware, and foreign language material. Take the following for evidence that 'anybody' is indeed the correct word here:

Because you are trying to write an article that is designed to be help users legally obtain material on P2P programs, you probably restricted yourself from explaining what all those abbreviations in file names mean. Whats the FR or DE or ITA at the end mean? If you don't know, you've just wasted your time getting a french, german, or italian movie you can't understand.

Then you have the flaming retards who ask the dumb questions, how do I play this file? What's an APE, FLAC, MKV, OGM file? How do subtitles work? I got these VOB files, how do I play them? And my personal favorite, how do I burn an 800MB ISO to a 700MB CD?
June 10, 2006 12:39:12 AM

Quote:
I would love to find a file sharing app that was pretty much like napster (or early kazaa) and was fast like bittorrent. I find it extremely difficult to find music that I want using bittorrent, movies are a little better, games and common apps are usually pretty easy to find. I miss the 'view user's file' option in kazaa, so much music I listen to now I found using that function.

Shareaza have that option but it only works on people on Gnutella2 and Gnutella network (maybe some other not sure). [/quote]
June 10, 2006 8:32:11 PM

posting for a reader
Quote:
The only annoyance your article pointed in Limewire is actually a default option that may be easily changed by selecting Tools -> Options -> System Tray -> Shutdown Behavior. Just select the "Shutdown imediately" instead of "Minimize to System Tray" and enjoy it.
June 11, 2006 1:42:35 PM

Well its too bad im dealing here with a bunch of begginers. First torrent is great, if you find good torrent you can get as high speed as it can sends... Only limit is your connection!!! if you have good upload you can get 2 MB/s or more of speed even 8 MB/s ... And this is even more true for dc++ cause there you realy dont have any limit... 10MB and even 100MB cause its not so uncommon in europe to have that bandwidth. The prices are also very low: 24 Mb adsl is around 25 or 30 euros in sweden. There are even 100Mb and 1000Mb packages. I think they are around 500 and 1000 euros... And finnaly there is irc, and irc is the number one source of releasing everything so thats the first place to look for new releases. There is realy no limit on irc...! Of course as i said only limit on all p2p networks is your connection and you... You must find good source. And i hope soon there will be everything on net for unlimited download for 25 euro per month. I mean movies, music, comics... and i still would not pay even than, ill never pay for nothing, long live anarchy, long live free world, long live cyber pirates and everyone else who support them. :) )))))
June 12, 2006 6:27:16 AM

I have tried out most of these p2p applications and have found that Ares works the best by far. I dont think that it limits your download rate at all. I have had over 400 kb/s when i have multiple files downloading. Any one know why it wasn't included? Maybe because it isn't on cnet anymore?

mIRC would have also been a very good choice to include because you can always find the most rare of files with there app.
June 12, 2006 5:18:24 PM

Quote:
I have tried out most of these p2p applications and have found that Ares works the best by far. I dont think that it limits your download rate at all. I have had over 400 kb/s when i have multiple files downloading. Any one know why it wasn't included? Maybe because it isn't on cnet anymore?

mIRC would have also been a very good choice to include because you can always find the most rare of files with there app.

The only thing about IRC is that it is not user friendly for beginners. It can be hard to sift through the tens of thousands (or more) of channels to find the one with the specific file you are looking for. IRC can be a dangerous place to download from as well, if you don't know what you are doing.
June 12, 2006 5:59:15 PM

tru that ;)  but wheres my ares?
June 12, 2006 10:04:48 PM

I tried to limit the number of applications I reviewed and yes ares is an excellent program but it is outpaced in userbase by many other programs. I choose shareaza instead to look at and it turns out that you have to configure the options in shareaza to turn on other clients to get more results as was pointed out by George Furey. I have not used ares in a couple years and from what you say it sound like they have come a long way.
June 13, 2006 4:54:48 AM

o yes i remember when it a few years ago it wasnt a good app i even switched to a few different ones and found my self back with ares and it returns just as many results for me as the others only it doesnt crash randonmly like i experienced with morpheus and complete alot more downloads than limewire you should really give it another try i think youll like it :) 
June 13, 2006 2:18:31 PM

Benjamin wrote in his article:
Quote:
I have probably had to forward about 10 ports through my router for all the programs. Even though this is an easy task both router makers and software designers need to come up with a way to automate this task

How about UPnP? It works (or at least I hope) with most home routers out of the box. And I remember Azureus (Torrent client I used some time ago) was using it without any problem.
June 13, 2006 5:15:25 PM

Yeah UPnP worked fine just some of the less popular programs expect you to port forward such as eMule.
July 13, 2006 7:41:30 PM

It's funny nobody mentioned Peer2Mail. Once you find it's storage account (like a .torrent tracker) it is sure fire. Mail servers are not likely to fail or go offline when you have 98% complete. If the content is chunked, it is simply zipped or RARed, each chunk with its own CRC checking. Not to mention mail servers are online all the time.

When you can't find it in P2M, Shareaza does the trick, no matter how disgusting your network availability is. It worked without router configuring whatsoever, despite the claims of the reviewer (upnp?). It is important to keep your .MET list of edonkey servers updated, though. I just ignore its speed, since a large file could take months anyway. If it is downloading, it is ok.
August 17, 2006 3:15:18 PM

Tim,

I would just like to point out an inaccuracy in your article.

The Reverse Connect client mod. of DC++ has been around for donkeys years (pardon the pun :-) ). The mod. is open source (hosted on SourceForge like DC++) and is developed by a single author called Liny. He closely follows developments to official DC++ client in his version.

This client blows away the DC++ client as as it has multi-source downloading. For popular Tiger Tree Hashed (TTH) sources it will max out a DSL line with a single file. Also slow sources don't lock things up for individual downloads unlike DC++!!

TTH is used to ensure that segments downloaded are correct before reassembling the original file. It works _very_ well. I don't get much hassle in private hubs about having a 'modded' DC++ client (it is so similar in build anyway).

Liny even implemented Tiger Tree Hashing months before the 'official' (ha ha) DC++ client!! The indexing process was also a lot faster!!

Also you forgot to mention that most open (to the net) DC++ hubs (private and public) are moderated so you are less likely to download dodgy crap like most of the other P-2-P client.

Just my $0.02.

Bob Wya
September 19, 2010 3:27:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Reynod
!