frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just went to WinXP and now my sort of files w/n a directory is screwy in
both Windows Explorer and Powerdesk. When I view a file in Detail View and
then click on NAME to sort it, it does not sort like it did in Win98. This
is an example of file name order:
6 byt..
15-1994
721 pv..
1994 ex..
1994.zip. I'm not sure, but it seems like only the files starting with
a numerics are out of sync. Cant find any settings to change anything to do
with sorting.
Frank

Use TweakUI

TweakUI
[+] Explorer
? Use intuitive filename sorting

[[If this is checked the Explorer will sort files so that, for e.g. “File 5”
comes before “File 10” because 5 comes before 10. If this is unchecked then
Explorer will use literal sorting, in which case “File 10” will come before
“File 5” because 1 comes before 5. ]]
----

Download TweakUI here >>>

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Tweak UI
TweakUI.exe
-----

Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

-----

The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827

Windows Explorer Incorrectly Sorts Files and Folders with 10 or
More Consecutive Numerals
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318872

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:11bjbno3eouk69e@corp.supernews.com,
Frank <fjmet@amisp.net> hunted and pecked:
> I just went to WinXP and now my sort of files w/n a directory is screwy in
> both Windows Explorer and Powerdesk. When I view a file in Detail View
> and then click on NAME to sort it, it does not sort like it did in Win98.
> This is an example of file name order:
> 6 byt..
> 15-1994
> 721 pv..
> 1994 ex..
> 1994.zip. I'm not sure, but it seems like only the files starting
> with a numerics are out of sync. Cant find any settings to change
> anything to do with sorting.
> Frank

Disconcerting ain't it! Here's the whys and the way to put it back

Frank wrote:

> I just went to WinXP and now my sort of files w/n a directory is screwy in
> both Windows Explorer and Powerdesk. When I view a file in Detail View and
> then click on NAME to sort it, it does not sort like it did in Win98. This
> is an example of file name order:
> 6 byt..
> 15-1994
> 721 pv..
> 1994 ex..
> 1994.zip. I'm not sure, but it seems like only the files starting with
> a numerics are out of sync. Cant find any settings to change anything to do
> with sorting.
> Frank

[Use intuitive filename sorting - when enabled, Explorer will sort files
so that, for example, File 5 comes before File 10. Disabled, Explorer
will use literal sorting, in which case File 10 will come before File 5,
because 1 comes before 5 (literal sorting used to be Windows default
behaviour before Windows XP)].

Download and install -TweakUI 2.10 [If you have the old TweakUI
installed, you must uninstall it before installing the new one]

http://tinyurl.com/h8zs

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Frank wrote:

> I just went to WinXP and now my sort of files w/n a directory is screwy in
> both Windows Explorer and Powerdesk. When I view a file in Detail View and
> then click on NAME to sort it, it does not sort like it did in Win98. This
> is an example of file name order:
> 6 byt..
> 15-1994
> 721 pv..
> 1994 ex..
> 1994.zip. I'm not sure, but it seems like only the files starting with
> a numerics are out of sync. Cant find any settings to change anything to do
> with sorting.
> Frank

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I already have Tweakui 2.10.0.0. Where is this setting???
Frank

In news:11blr8f5hfptk0b@corp.supernews.com,
Frank <fjmet@amisp.net> hunted and pecked:
> I already have Tweakui 2.10.0.0. Where is this setting???
> Frank
> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
>> [Use intuitive filename sorting - when enabled, Explorer will sort files
>> so that, for example, File 5 comes before File 10. Disabled, Explorer
>> will use literal sorting, in which case File 10 will come before File 5,
>> because 1 comes before 5 (literal sorting used to be Windows default
>> behaviour before Windows XP)].
>>
>> Download and install -TweakUI 2.10 [If you have the old TweakUI
>> installed, you must uninstall it before installing the new one]
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/h8zs
>>
>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>>
>> Frank wrote:
>>
>>> I just went to WinXP and now my sort of files w/n a directory is screwy
>>> in both Windows Explorer and Powerdesk. When I view a file in Detail
>>> View and then click on NAME to sort it, it does not sort like it did in
>>> Win98. This is an example of file name order:
>>> 6 byt..
>>> 15-1994
>>> 721 pv..
>>> 1994 ex..
>>> 1994.zip. I'm not sure, but it seems like only the files starting
>>> with a numerics are out of sync. Cant find any settings to change
>>> anything to do with sorting.
>>> Frank

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, that worked great.
Frank
> TweakUI
> [+] Explorer
> ? Use intuitive filename sorting
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:11blr8f5hfptk0b@corp.supernews.com,
> Frank <fjmet@amisp.net> hunted and pecked:
>> I already have Tweakui 2.10.0.0. Where is this setting???
>> Frank
>> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> [Use intuitive filename sorting - when enabled, Explorer will sort files
>>> so that, for example, File 5 comes before File 10. Disabled, Explorer
>>> will use literal sorting, in which case File 10 will come before File 5,
>>> because 1 comes before 5 (literal sorting used to be Windows default
>>> behaviour before Windows XP)].
>>>
>>> Download and install -TweakUI 2.10 [If you have the old TweakUI
>>> installed, you must uninstall it before installing the new one]
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/h8zs
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> ssg MS-MVP

Keep having fun, Frank. :)