Sort Problem

I just went to WinXP and now my sort of files w/n a directory is screwy in
both Windows Explorer and Powerdesk. When I view a file in Detail View and
then click on NAME to sort it, it does not sort like it did in Win98. This
is an example of file name order:
6 byt..
15-1994
721 pv..
1994 ex..
1994.zip. I'm not sure, but it seems like only the files starting with
a numerics are out of sync. Cant find any settings to change anything to do
with sorting.
Frank
7 answers Last reply
More about sort problem

    Disconcerting ain't it! Here's the whys and the way to put it back

    The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
    Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827

    Frank wrote:

    > I just went to WinXP and now my sort of files w/n a directory is screwy in
    > both Windows Explorer and Powerdesk. When I view a file in Detail View and
    > then click on NAME to sort it, it does not sort like it did in Win98. This
    > is an example of file name order:
    > 6 byt..
    > 15-1994
    > 721 pv..
    > 1994 ex..
    > 1994.zip. I'm not sure, but it seems like only the files starting with
    > a numerics are out of sync. Cant find any settings to change anything to do
    > with sorting.
    > Frank

    Use TweakUI

    TweakUI
    [+] Explorer
    ? Use intuitive filename sorting

    [[If this is checked the Explorer will sort files so that, for e.g. “File 5”
    comes before “File 10” because 5 comes before 10. If this is unchecked then
    Explorer will use literal sorting, in which case “File 10” will come before
    “File 5” because 1 comes before 5. ]]
    ----

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    -----

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    -----

    The Sort Order for Files and Folders Whose Names Contain Numerals Is
    Different in Windows XP Than It Is in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319827

    Windows Explorer Incorrectly Sorts Files and Folders with 10 or
    More Consecutive Numerals
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318872

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:11bjbno3eouk69e@corp.supernews.com,
    Frank <fjmet@amisp.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I just went to WinXP and now my sort of files w/n a directory is screwy in
    > both Windows Explorer and Powerdesk. When I view a file in Detail View
    > and then click on NAME to sort it, it does not sort like it did in Win98.
    > This is an example of file name order:
    > 6 byt..
    > 15-1994
    > 721 pv..
    > 1994 ex..
    > 1994.zip. I'm not sure, but it seems like only the files starting
    > with a numerics are out of sync. Cant find any settings to change
    > anything to do with sorting.
    > Frank

    [Use intuitive filename sorting - when enabled, Explorer will sort files
    so that, for example, File 5 comes before File 10. Disabled, Explorer
    will use literal sorting, in which case File 10 will come before File 5,
    because 1 comes before 5 (literal sorting used to be Windows default
    behaviour before Windows XP)].

    Download and install -TweakUI 2.10 [If you have the old TweakUI
    installed, you must uninstall it before installing the new one]

    http://tinyurl.com/h8zs

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Frank wrote:

    > I just went to WinXP and now my sort of files w/n a directory is screwy in
    > both Windows Explorer and Powerdesk. When I view a file in Detail View and
    > then click on NAME to sort it, it does not sort like it did in Win98. This
    > is an example of file name order:
    > 6 byt..
    > 15-1994
    > 721 pv..
    > 1994 ex..
    > 1994.zip. I'm not sure, but it seems like only the files starting with
    > a numerics are out of sync. Cant find any settings to change anything to do
    > with sorting.
    > Frank

    I already have Tweakui 2.10.0.0. Where is this setting???
    Frank

    In news:11blr8f5hfptk0b@corp.supernews.com,
    Frank <fjmet@amisp.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I already have Tweakui 2.10.0.0. Where is this setting???
    > Frank
    > "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> [Use intuitive filename sorting - when enabled, Explorer will sort files
    >> so that, for example, File 5 comes before File 10. Disabled, Explorer
    >> will use literal sorting, in which case File 10 will come before File 5,
    >> because 1 comes before 5 (literal sorting used to be Windows default
    >> behaviour before Windows XP)].
    >>
    >> Download and install -TweakUI 2.10 [If you have the old TweakUI
    >> installed, you must uninstall it before installing the new one]
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/h8zs
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >>
    >> Frank wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just went to WinXP and now my sort of files w/n a directory is screwy
    >>> in both Windows Explorer and Powerdesk. When I view a file in Detail
    >>> View and then click on NAME to sort it, it does not sort like it did in
    >>> Win98. This is an example of file name order:
    >>> 6 byt..
    >>> 15-1994
    >>> 721 pv..
    >>> 1994 ex..
    >>> 1994.zip. I'm not sure, but it seems like only the files starting
    >>> with a numerics are out of sync. Cant find any settings to change
    >>> anything to do with sorting.
    >>> Frank

    Thanks, that worked great.
    Frank
    > TweakUI
    > [+] Explorer
    > ? Use intuitive filename sorting
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:11blr8f5hfptk0b@corp.supernews.com,
    > Frank <fjmet@amisp.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> I already have Tweakui 2.10.0.0. Where is this setting???
    >> Frank
    >> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> [Use intuitive filename sorting - when enabled, Explorer will sort files
    >>> so that, for example, File 5 comes before File 10. Disabled, Explorer
    >>> will use literal sorting, in which case File 10 will come before File 5,
    >>> because 1 comes before 5 (literal sorting used to be Windows default
    >>> behaviour before Windows XP)].
    >>>
    >>> Download and install -TweakUI 2.10 [If you have the old TweakUI
    >>> installed, you must uninstall it before installing the new one]
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/h8zs
    >>>
    >>> regards,
    >>> ssg MS-MVP

    Keep having fun, Frank. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:11brl0iepqpaibb@corp.supernews.com,
    Frank <fjmet@amisp.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks, that worked great.
    > Frank
    >> TweakUI
    >> [+] Explorer
    >> ? Use intuitive filename sorting
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:11blr8f5hfptk0b@corp.supernews.com,
    >> Frank <fjmet@amisp.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I already have Tweakui 2.10.0.0. Where is this setting???
    >>> Frank
    >>> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message

Windows Explorer Microsoft Windows XP