InKyEyES

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
Hey Everyone, I've had my 74gb raptor for about 3 months now and i've checked out other machines that have sata drives and they do the same thing. As soon as Xp starts to load the hard drive works for a split second and then sits there for about 3-5 seconds and then works again and loads xp.

Well it all comes down to that i'm really picky, i've got another machine with a p4 3.06B processor and an 8mb cache wd JB drive and it will actually load xp faster because of the delay. In one night reinstalled xp with the sata drive hooked up as a single raid drive thru the ichr5 ports and then hooked it up thru the promise sata ports (one time as the ultra-sata and one time as the raid) and still i have the pause. I've only looked at 2 other machines with sata and i see that same delay on them. so i'm wondering if there is some way to get rid of it.

Thank you for reading my question!

MSI 865pe neo2 fis2r
P4 3.0c
2x512mb kingston HyperX pc3500
ati radeon 9800 Pro
74gb 10k RPM S-ATA Raptor
AseTek Waterchill Rev. 2
Antec Super Lanboy Case

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think XP is probably loading the driver for your SATA controller.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
I posted about this a few weeks ago too - I have the same problem, but I get a short beep from (presumably) the PC speaker at this point too. I thought it was the fact that I've got 6 SATA h/d in my case, but it would appear it's just a general SATA issue - very annoying.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>

miniklobb

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
i expierenced the same problem but when i reloded my computer with 200 then upgraded to XP it no longer seems to be an issue

P4 2.8c
Seagate 160g 7200rpm 8mb cache
2x256 Crucial PC3200
Asus P4P800