Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Large Capacity Battery

Last response: in Mobile Computing
March 14, 2011 10:49:05 AM

Hi All, not 100% if this is the right section but I am after a battery with an insanely high capacity.
Ideally, outputting at 5v 1.2A with a capacity of, maybe, 1000Ah or more.

Does anyone know if such a battery exists?

Thanks in advance!

More about : large capacity battery

March 22, 2011 7:29:37 AM

hang-the-9 said:
For what?

I want to have some low power single on computers running some basic monitoring. They use around 600mA and Washington hoping for a battery to power them for a few months?
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2011 12:54:27 PM

You want a battery to power a computer for a few months, with no external power?

You need something along the lines of a rack of UPS batteries, at least, and don't forget that rechargable batteries slowly discharge over time, so how long you can run the computer off battery power would get shorter over time.
m
l
March 29, 2011 8:16:08 AM

hang-the-9 said:
You want a battery to power a computer for a few months, with no external power?

You need something along the lines of a rack of UPS batteries, at least, and don't forget that rechargable batteries slowly discharge over time, so how long you can run the computer off battery power would get shorter over time.

Sorry, I should have explained that better. I have some 'pico' computers about the size of a credit card. They run at about 600mA idling and a bit more at full load. By high capacity, I don't mean anything near the capacity required to run a full desktop for a few months.

I guess it is more equivalent to running a mobile phone for a few months?
m
l

Best solution

March 29, 2011 1:46:28 PM

Ah, well if you can figure out a way to wire them in, you may be able to get a fully charged laptop battery to do this. But I don't think there are any off-the shelf items for what you want to do. Factories in China are always making stuff though, check some of the trade sites. I don't recall exactly what it's called, but there is a international trading site setup like eBay where people can order OEM parts from factories.
March 29, 2011 3:18:27 PM

Best answer selected by encima.
m
l
March 29, 2011 3:19:16 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Ah, well if you can figure out a way to wire them in, you may be able to get a fully charged laptop battery to do this. But I don't think there are any off-the shelf items for what you want to do. Factories in China are always making stuff though, check some of the trade sites. I don't recall exactly what it's called, but there is a international trading site setup like eBay where people can order OEM parts from factories.

Thanks, hadn't thought about using a laptop battery but that does seem like the obvious choice. I will take a look.
Thank you, I appreciate the help!
m
l
!