Watching DVDs on TV

dhlucke

Polypheme
All I want to do is burn my .mov, avi, and .mpg files to DVD to watch on my set top DVD player and TV.

How do I do this? So far I've run into problems finding software to do it, PAL vs NTSC issues, etc etc.

What software, where do I get it, and how do I do it?

Thx

<font color=red>___________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=39826#39826" target="_new">Sexual Poll!</A></b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm an idiot then since I can't figure it out. How?

<b><A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=39826#39826" target="_new">Sexual Poll!</A></b>

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Actually, what I said before isn't entirely accurate.

NeroVision Express should allow you to build DVDs from pretty much any format. But I only know that it is bundled with Nero 6, so maybe you don't have it.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have it and it doens't work. I don't know how at least. How do I do it?

Daniel before the walkthrough heres a couple of tips:

The transcoding process is the time consuming process, once the transcode is complete the burn doesn't take long at all, I'm telling you that because I've gotten pretty much flawless burns by grouping all my AVIs together and my MPEGs together and burning them grouped together instead of mixing them up, now if you've got some favorites and you still want to mix them its turned out best to burn these to a folder you set up on your hardrive first, then run them back through, but it will be much faster because they've already been transcoded, burning to a folder first is a safe way to make the burn without ending up with a coaster, if you're burning straight to the DVD burner and something goes wrong with the transcode Nero will abort the burn, your disk will basically be a coaster and you won't know what file caused the problem, if you burn to the hardrive it writes each completed transcode to the folder so if you have a file that won't transcode properly you'll be able to find and remove the bad file from the compilation and resume the process by replacing the bad file with a good one, If Nerovision cannot transcode the file you will not burn it to disk, at least not with nerovision until you repair whatevers wrong with the file. Always defrag first!

The walkthrough will have areas that you'll need to play around with, explore and learn, what you need for your burns, some of the program is just too extensive to even attempt to tell you everything each feature does.

The walkthrough:
Open Nerovision Express 2( Hereafter refered to as NE2 )
In Start Window, under "What Would You Like To Do?", Expand> "Make DVD" and select "DVD Video"
Takes you to Untitled Project [DVD Video] Window, under,"What Would You Like To Do?", select "Add Video Files", a popup explorer window appears giving you the option to add whatever files you want to the compilation from your hardrive or another source, find the files and click "Open", at this point NE2 will scan the files you want to add, if it finds any errors in the files you've selected at this point, it will tell you it cannot use this file you need to allow NE2 to remove it from the compilation, then you can go back and add another to take the place of the one NE2 cannot use, by using "Add Video Files" again. As you're adding files the bar at the bottom will tell you how much disk space the finished compilation is going to use to burn to disk.

Note! NE2 will only allow you to use 4.38Gb of a 4.7Gb DVD disk, because it needs space for the Menu, Lead In, Lead Out, Etc., I usually keep mine closer to 4Gb than trying to get to 4.38Gb, to make sure NE2 doesn't have any burn problems.

This is one of the windows you can explore and see what editing options you have in NE2.
Once you've added all your files and you're satisfied with the compilation, in this same window you can change the files names in the compilation to whatever you want, and make sure you are within the safe burn zone with the space used indicator bar. Then click "Next".

Takes you to the preview window( You can figure this out), when finished previewing if everythings satisfactory click "Next".

Takes you to the "Burn Options" window, this is where you choose to either burn straight to the DVDRW, or to a Folder On Your Hardrive, Clicking "Burn" Starts the Transcoding process and goes straight into the Burn To Disk> DVD Media or HDD.

Then wait for NE2 to complete the process.

I hope this helps!!! :smile: Ryan

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541" target="_new">My Rig</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Thank you so much! What seems to be my biggest problem so far is that the DVD driver doesn't install or doesn't install right so that NeroVision will only burn VCDs.

I'll play with it again tommorrow and see if I have better luck.

Well thats a bummer! You're running WinXP right? Could it possibly be ASPI related, some things in WinXP and Win2K I've had to force ASPI to get them to work, try looking into that area that could be one possibility of solving your problem, you may need to look at the NERO website for a NERO ASPI driver, another could be making sure you've completely installed the original burners software, and updated it, if any updates are available, NERO can access a burner on its own if it has the drivers itself, but sometimes the original burner software has to be installed for it to do it. I've got a SONY burner that NERO can run just fine without the original software, I also have a TDK burner that it cannot. Neither one of those possibilities may be your problem, and you may of already knew that, which you probably did, but I'm just trying to help.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541" target="_new">My Rig</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Use TMPGENC to change the format to MPEG2 DVD, then burn it.

Beware! Many movies you get off the net are 16:9 on a 1:1 frame. But the player will stretch that square from 1:1 onto a 4:3 tube, giving you an aspect ratio of 64/27....your image gets squished!

I've argued with people over this. I'm telling them "The strips on the top and bottom added together should be LESS than the height of the picture, not equal or more!" They don't listen.

TMPGENC will allow you to trim boarders, etc. I think you don't actually NEED borders with a proper 16:9 DVD. Your player should add the appropriate boarders for a standard TV, or add none for a widescreen TV, automatically.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>