read only attr - easy right?

Okay- Read only attribute.

OS winXP - (will be posted there as well, I just you all would find this
interesting)
Privledge - Admin

Seems like a simple thing right?

I have a cd as the source and Field service engineers need to copy source
files off of this CD to make a serial connection to some industrial hardware.

Copy the files to the drive they show up as read only.(root, temp, any
folder, I have tried em all.)

I go to the topmost or an other FOLDER in the file collection and the read
only box is filled in completely.

All the files are now fine.

I try renaming the folders and get an in use error message.

I try multiple times to remove said filled in box but it persists.

Nothing odd in the event logs.

I am thinking that it is one of the many security programs we run, but when
I try getting all the related services stopped it still doesn't work.

I only had one FSE notebook to play with and that one wouldn't go to safe
mode, safe command or recovery console, so I hit a dead end.

I feel bad for them, and want to help, but ultimately at the end of the day
its not my issue to resolve. Since the app is old and can run on antique
hardware, and we are hemmoraging junk laptops here I reccommended using a
seperate laptop running 2000 or NT (known to work fine). But its such a
hamfisted solution.

I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or has any insight
into this odd issue.

CD Read-only

Files saved to CD are automatically listed as Read-only. When they are
restored to a hard drive they remain Read-only.

Locate the files through My Computer or Windows Explorer.

Highlight the file or group of files | Right click the file or group of
files | Properties | Uncheck the Read-only box found in Attributes | Click
Apply | Click OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D30A51B1-15A7-442D-AEDC-18388DB15685@microsoft.com,
Manny Borges <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Okay- Read only attribute.
>
> OS winXP - (will be posted there as well, I just you all would find this
> interesting)
> Privledge - Admin
>
> Seems like a simple thing right?
>
> I have a cd as the source and Field service engineers need to copy source
> files off of this CD to make a serial connection to some industrial
> hardware.
>
> Copy the files to the drive they show up as read only.(root, temp, any
> folder, I have tried em all.)
>
> I go to the topmost or an other FOLDER in the file collection and the read
> only box is filled in completely.
>
> All the files are now fine.
>
> I try renaming the folders and get an in use error message.
>
> I try multiple times to remove said filled in box but it persists.
>
> Nothing odd in the event logs.
>
> I am thinking that it is one of the many security programs we run, but
> when I try getting all the related services stopped it still doesn't work.
>
> I only had one FSE notebook to play with and that one wouldn't go to safe
> mode, safe command or recovery console, so I hit a dead end.
>
> I feel bad for them, and want to help, but ultimately at the end of the
> day its not my issue to resolve. Since the app is old and can run on
> antique hardware, and we are hemmoraging junk laptops here I reccommended
> using a seperate laptop running 2000 or NT (known to work fine). But its
> such a hamfisted solution.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or has any insight
> into this odd issue.

Well aware of that. Tried it. The files are reporting that they are not read
only after i remove the attribute(both gui and command line). its the folders
that are being stubborn.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> CD Read-only
>
> Files saved to CD are automatically listed as Read-only. When they are
> restored to a hard drive they remain Read-only.
>
> Locate the files through My Computer or Windows Explorer.
>
> Highlight the file or group of files | Right click the file or group of
> files | Properties | Uncheck the Read-only box found in Attributes | Click
> Apply | Click OK
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:D30A51B1-15A7-442D-AEDC-18388DB15685@microsoft.com,
> Manny Borges <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Okay- Read only attribute.
> >
> > OS winXP - (will be posted there as well, I just you all would find this
> > interesting)
> > Privledge - Admin
> >
> > Seems like a simple thing right?
> >
> > I have a cd as the source and Field service engineers need to copy source
> > files off of this CD to make a serial connection to some industrial
> > hardware.
> >
> > Copy the files to the drive they show up as read only.(root, temp, any
> > folder, I have tried em all.)
> >
> > I go to the topmost or an other FOLDER in the file collection and the read
> > only box is filled in completely.
> >
> > All the files are now fine.
> >
> > I try renaming the folders and get an in use error message.
> >
> > I try multiple times to remove said filled in box but it persists.
> >
> > Nothing odd in the event logs.
> >
> > I am thinking that it is one of the many security programs we run, but
> > when I try getting all the related services stopped it still doesn't work.
> >
> > I only had one FSE notebook to play with and that one wouldn't go to safe
> > mode, safe command or recovery console, so I hit a dead end.
> >
> > I feel bad for them, and want to help, but ultimately at the end of the
> > day its not my issue to resolve. Since the app is old and can run on
> > antique hardware, and we are hemmoraging junk laptops here I reccommended
> > using a seperate laptop running 2000 or NT (known to work fine). But its
> > such a hamfisted solution.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or has any insight
> > into this odd issue.

The "read-only" attribute shown in the properties dialog for the folder
is not "honored" by Windows Explorer and if "cleared" will revert to the
"grey-checked" mode. You are chasing ghosts. There is some other issue
involved with the "in-use" problem. Anti-virus software perhaps? You
could also go to the command line and run Attrib against the folder in
question to check the real status of attributes.

Manny Borges wrote:
> Okay- Read only attribute.
>
> OS winXP - (will be posted there as well, I just you all would find this
> interesting)
> Privledge - Admin
>
> Seems like a simple thing right?
>
> I have a cd as the source and Field service engineers need to copy source
> files off of this CD to make a serial connection to some industrial hardware.
>
> Copy the files to the drive they show up as read only.(root, temp, any
> folder, I have tried em all.)
>
> I go to the topmost or an other FOLDER in the file collection and the read
> only box is filled in completely.
>
> All the files are now fine.
>
> I try renaming the folders and get an in use error message.
>
> I try multiple times to remove said filled in box but it persists.
>
> Nothing odd in the event logs.
>
> I am thinking that it is one of the many security programs we run, but when
> I try getting all the related services stopped it still doesn't work.
>
> I only had one FSE notebook to play with and that one wouldn't go to safe
> mode, safe command or recovery console, so I hit a dead end.
>
> I feel bad for them, and want to help, but ultimately at the end of the day
> its not my issue to resolve. Since the app is old and can run on antique
> hardware, and we are hemmoraging junk laptops here I reccommended using a
> seperate laptop running 2000 or NT (known to work fine). But its such a
> hamfisted solution.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or has any insight
> into this odd issue.

While I thank evreyone else who has replied, you, Bob, actually read and
understood my post.That's no small feat since I tend meander in my thoughts.
So major kudos to you.

I played with attrib and got nowhere.(been using it since good old dos days)

I agree that I must be chasing ghosts. Our infosec team is more than likely
the team responsible for this strange behavior. Our machines are locked down
very tight. We run a lot of software and utilities that we have created, so
more than likely it is one of the active agents on the machine. Playing with
active tasks yielded no fruit.

Its a bummer that a safe mode boot couldn't be acomplished to test the
theory.

Like I said , its not my battle, I just was interested in the issue. So
thank you for a thoughtful and on target reply.

"Bob I" wrote:

> The "read-only" attribute shown in the properties dialog for the folder
> is not "honored" by Windows Explorer and if "cleared" will revert to the
> "grey-checked" mode. You are chasing ghosts. There is some other issue
> involved with the "in-use" problem. Anti-virus software perhaps? You
> could also go to the command line and run Attrib against the folder in
> question to check the real status of attributes.
>
> Manny Borges wrote:
> > Okay- Read only attribute.
> >
> > OS winXP - (will be posted there as well, I just you all would find this
> > interesting)
> > Privledge - Admin
> >
> > Seems like a simple thing right?
> >
> > I have a cd as the source and Field service engineers need to copy source
> > files off of this CD to make a serial connection to some industrial hardware.
> >
> > Copy the files to the drive they show up as read only.(root, temp, any
> > folder, I have tried em all.)
> >
> > I go to the topmost or an other FOLDER in the file collection and the read
> > only box is filled in completely.
> >
> > All the files are now fine.
> >
> > I try renaming the folders and get an in use error message.
> >
> > I try multiple times to remove said filled in box but it persists.
> >
> > Nothing odd in the event logs.
> >
> > I am thinking that it is one of the many security programs we run, but when
> > I try getting all the related services stopped it still doesn't work.
> >
> > I only had one FSE notebook to play with and that one wouldn't go to safe
> > mode, safe command or recovery console, so I hit a dead end.
> >
> > I feel bad for them, and want to help, but ultimately at the end of the day
> > its not my issue to resolve. Since the app is old and can run on antique
> > hardware, and we are hemmoraging junk laptops here I reccommended using a
> > seperate laptop running 2000 or NT (known to work fine). But its such a
> > hamfisted solution.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or has any insight
> > into this odd issue.

By default, any file copied from a CD is set to read only. Also, the read
only attribute is ignored on the Folder by XP.

Try setting the "attribute" on the files direct themselves.

"Manny Borges" <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay- Read only attribute.
>
> OS winXP - (will be posted there as well, I just you all would find this
> interesting)
> Privledge - Admin
>
> Seems like a simple thing right?
>
> I have a cd as the source and Field service engineers need to copy source
> files off of this CD to make a serial connection to some industrial
> hardware.
>
> Copy the files to the drive they show up as read only.(root, temp, any
> folder, I have tried em all.)
>
> I go to the topmost or an other FOLDER in the file collection and the read
> only box is filled in completely.
>
> All the files are now fine.
>
> I try renaming the folders and get an in use error message.
>
> I try multiple times to remove said filled in box but it persists.
>
> Nothing odd in the event logs.
>
> I am thinking that it is one of the many security programs we run, but
> when
> I try getting all the related services stopped it still doesn't work.
>
> I only had one FSE notebook to play with and that one wouldn't go to safe
> mode, safe command or recovery console, so I hit a dead end.
>
> I feel bad for them, and want to help, but ultimately at the end of the
> day
> its not my issue to resolve. Since the app is old and can run on antique
> hardware, and we are hemmoraging junk laptops here I reccommended using a
> seperate laptop running 2000 or NT (known to work fine). But its such a
> hamfisted solution.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or has any insight
> into this odd issue.

well aware of that, but thank you. Tried it.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> By default, any file copied from a CD is set to read only. Also, the read
> only attribute is ignored on the Folder by XP.
>
> Try setting the "attribute" on the files direct themselves.
>

> "Manny Borges" <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Okay- Read only attribute.
> >
> > OS winXP - (will be posted there as well, I just you all would find this
> > interesting)
> > Privledge - Admin
> >
> > Seems like a simple thing right?
> >
> > I have a cd as the source and Field service engineers need to copy source
> > files off of this CD to make a serial connection to some industrial
> > hardware.
> >
> > Copy the files to the drive they show up as read only.(root, temp, any
> > folder, I have tried em all.)
> >
> > I go to the topmost or an other FOLDER in the file collection and the read
> > only box is filled in completely.
> >
> > All the files are now fine.
> >
> > I try renaming the folders and get an in use error message.
> >
> > I try multiple times to remove said filled in box but it persists.
> >
> > Nothing odd in the event logs.
> >
> > I am thinking that it is one of the many security programs we run, but
> > when
> > I try getting all the related services stopped it still doesn't work.
> >
> > I only had one FSE notebook to play with and that one wouldn't go to safe
> > mode, safe command or recovery console, so I hit a dead end.
> >
> > I feel bad for them, and want to help, but ultimately at the end of the
> > day
> > its not my issue to resolve. Since the app is old and can run on antique
> > hardware, and we are hemmoraging junk laptops here I reccommended using a
> > seperate laptop running 2000 or NT (known to work fine). But its such a
> > hamfisted solution.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or has any insight
> > into this odd issue.

Manny,

Read-only means nothing for folders. Only a file can be Read-only.

The Read-only check box for folders is there for convenience, it allows you
to change the Read-only attribute of all the files contained in that folder.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9388105A-9564-4328-88FA-27533460B978@microsoft.com,
Manny Borges <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Well aware of that. Tried it. The files are reporting that they are not
> read only after i remove the attribute(both gui and command line). its
> the folders that are being stubborn.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> CD Read-only
>>
>> Files saved to CD are automatically listed as Read-only. When they are
>> restored to a hard drive they remain Read-only.
>>
>> Locate the files through My Computer or Windows Explorer.
>>
>> Highlight the file or group of files | Right click the file or group of
>> files | Properties | Uncheck the Read-only box found in Attributes |
>> Click Apply | Click OK
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:D30A51B1-15A7-442D-AEDC-18388DB15685@microsoft.com,
>> Manny Borges <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Okay- Read only attribute.
>>>
>>> OS winXP - (will be posted there as well, I just you all would find this
>>> interesting)
>>> Privledge - Admin
>>>
>>> Seems like a simple thing right?
>>>
>>> I have a cd as the source and Field service engineers need to copy
>>> source files off of this CD to make a serial connection to some
>>> industrial hardware.
>>>
>>> Copy the files to the drive they show up as read only.(root, temp, any
>>> folder, I have tried em all.)
>>>
>>> I go to the topmost or an other FOLDER in the file collection and the
>>> read only box is filled in completely.
>>>
>>> All the files are now fine.
>>>
>>> I try renaming the folders and get an in use error message.
>>>
>>> I try multiple times to remove said filled in box but it persists.
>>>
>>> Nothing odd in the event logs.
>>>
>>> I am thinking that it is one of the many security programs we run, but
>>> when I try getting all the related services stopped it still doesn't
>>> work.
>>>
>>> I only had one FSE notebook to play with and that one wouldn't go to
>>> safe mode, safe command or recovery console, so I hit a dead end.
>>>
>>> I feel bad for them, and want to help, but ultimately at the end of the
>>> day its not my issue to resolve. Since the app is old and can run on
>>> antique hardware, and we are hemmoraging junk laptops here I
>>> reccommended using a seperate laptop running 2000 or NT (known to work
>>> fine). But its such a hamfisted solution.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or has any
>>> insight into this odd issue.

Look at the files on your CD. The files are Read only so the attribute is
set to Read Only, when you copy them the attributes are copied too, so
remains as read only.

"Manny Borges" <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay- Read only attribute.
>
> OS winXP - (will be posted there as well, I just you all would find this
> interesting)
> Privledge - Admin
>
> Seems like a simple thing right?
>
> I have a cd as the source and Field service engineers need to copy source
> files off of this CD to make a serial connection to some industrial
> hardware.
>
> Copy the files to the drive they show up as read only.(root, temp, any
> folder, I have tried em all.)
>
> I go to the topmost or an other FOLDER in the file collection and the read
> only box is filled in completely.
>
> All the files are now fine.
>
> I try renaming the folders and get an in use error message.
>
> I try multiple times to remove said filled in box but it persists.
>
> Nothing odd in the event logs.
>
> I am thinking that it is one of the many security programs we run, but
> when
> I try getting all the related services stopped it still doesn't work.
>
> I only had one FSE notebook to play with and that one wouldn't go to safe
> mode, safe command or recovery console, so I hit a dead end.
>
> I feel bad for them, and want to help, but ultimately at the end of the
> day
> its not my issue to resolve. Since the app is old and can run on antique
> hardware, and we are hemmoraging junk laptops here I reccommended using a
> seperate laptop running 2000 or NT (known to work fine). But its such a
> hamfisted solution.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or has any insight
> into this odd issue.

Well aware of that. Tried it. The files are reporting that they are not read
only after i remove the attribute(both gui and command line). its the folders
that are being stubborn. Thank you though.

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> Look at the files on your CD. The files are Read only so the attribute is
> set to Read Only, when you copy them the attributes are copied too, so
> remains as read only.
>

> "Manny Borges" <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Okay- Read only attribute.
> >
> > OS winXP - (will be posted there as well, I just you all would find this
> > interesting)
> > Privledge - Admin
> >
> > Seems like a simple thing right?
> >
> > I have a cd as the source and Field service engineers need to copy source
> > files off of this CD to make a serial connection to some industrial
> > hardware.
> >
> > Copy the files to the drive they show up as read only.(root, temp, any
> > folder, I have tried em all.)
> >
> > I go to the topmost or an other FOLDER in the file collection and the read
> > only box is filled in completely.
> >
> > All the files are now fine.
> >
> > I try renaming the folders and get an in use error message.
> >
> > I try multiple times to remove said filled in box but it persists.
> >
> > Nothing odd in the event logs.
> >
> > I am thinking that it is one of the many security programs we run, but
> > when
> > I try getting all the related services stopped it still doesn't work.
> >
> > I only had one FSE notebook to play with and that one wouldn't go to safe
> > mode, safe command or recovery console, so I hit a dead end.
> >
> > I feel bad for them, and want to help, but ultimately at the end of the
> > day
> > its not my issue to resolve. Since the app is old and can run on antique
> > hardware, and we are hemmoraging junk laptops here I reccommended using a
> > seperate laptop running 2000 or NT (known to work fine). But its such a
> > hamfisted solution.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or has any insight
> > into this odd issue.

Everyone here understands your post. What we are saying is your hypothsis isn't the cause. Forget read only, it's irrelevent.

You can use OH from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Type
oh +otl
reboot
then
oh /t file <filename>
or leave filename blank to see all.

EG to see what program has inbox.dbx open (OE's inbox file)

oh /t file inbox.dbx
which returns

//
// TIME: 2004-03-30 19:50
// MACHINE: SERENITY
// BUILD: 2600
// OH version: built by: dnsrv_dev(v-smgum)
//
//
00000CF0 msimn.exe File 050c \Documents and Settings\David Candy\
Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{E6E1A8F2-C885-46A5-975E-94A4A1F8C788
}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Inbox.dbx

[Microsoft Internet Mail And News (MSIMN.EXE) is the real name of Outlook Express rather than the marketing name. Office's Outlook internet features is a copy of Outlook Express. OL stole OE's code while OE got OL's name.]

Windows File Protection (and any other application that monitors the file system) have to open folders as files to monitor the folder.
"Manny Borges" <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA72D215-146D-4602-867E-30E0CA887EA2@microsoft.com...
> While I thank evreyone else who has replied, you, Bob, actually read and
> understood my post.That's no small feat since I tend meander in my thoughts.
> So major kudos to you.
>
> I played with attrib and got nowhere.(been using it since good old dos days)
>
> I agree that I must be chasing ghosts. Our infosec team is more than likely
> the team responsible for this strange behavior. Our machines are locked down
> very tight. We run a lot of software and utilities that we have created, so
> more than likely it is one of the active agents on the machine. Playing with
> active tasks yielded no fruit.
>
> Its a bummer that a safe mode boot couldn't be acomplished to test the
> theory.
>
> Like I said , its not my battle, I just was interested in the issue. So
> thank you for a thoughtful and on target reply.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> The "read-only" attribute shown in the properties dialog for the folder
>> is not "honored" by Windows Explorer and if "cleared" will revert to the
>> "grey-checked" mode. You are chasing ghosts. There is some other issue
>> involved with the "in-use" problem. Anti-virus software perhaps? You
>> could also go to the command line and run Attrib against the folder in
>> question to check the real status of attributes.
>>
>> Manny Borges wrote:
>> > Okay- Read only attribute.
>> >
>> > OS winXP - (will be posted there as well, I just you all would find this
>> > interesting)
>> > Privledge - Admin
>> >
>> > Seems like a simple thing right?
>> >
>> > I have a cd as the source and Field service engineers need to copy source
>> > files off of this CD to make a serial connection to some industrial hardware.
>> >
>> > Copy the files to the drive they show up as read only.(root, temp, any
>> > folder, I have tried em all.)
>> >
>> > I go to the topmost or an other FOLDER in the file collection and the read
>> > only box is filled in completely.
>> >
>> > All the files are now fine.
>> >
>> > I try renaming the folders and get an in use error message.
>> >
>> > I try multiple times to remove said filled in box but it persists.
>> >
>> > Nothing odd in the event logs.
>> >
>> > I am thinking that it is one of the many security programs we run, but when
>> > I try getting all the related services stopped it still doesn't work.
>> >
>> > I only had one FSE notebook to play with and that one wouldn't go to safe
>> > mode, safe command or recovery console, so I hit a dead end.
>> >
>> > I feel bad for them, and want to help, but ultimately at the end of the day
>> > its not my issue to resolve. Since the app is old and can run on antique
>> > hardware, and we are hemmoraging junk laptops here I reccommended using a
>> > seperate laptop running 2000 or NT (known to work fine). But its such a
>> > hamfisted solution.
>> >
>> > I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or has any insight
>> > into this odd issue.

Just a thought but have you looked at the resulting permissions on the
Security tab and compared that to the "non-CD" folders on the drive?