removing xp from one machine so it can be reinstalled on a..

with this activation process, you cannot have xp(RETAIL) on more than one
machine. I would like to remove it from one machine and then install in
another. MS tech support told me that this copy of xp cannot get a license
for more than one machine. I wish I knew that before. I would then have put
it on the machine that I want it on now. Can it be removed and then
installed on another nachine? Still only one machine licensed.

jim
23 answers Last reply
More about removing machine reinstalled

    Jim;
    Yes, simply remove Windows XP from the first computer and install it on the
    second computer.
    This applies to retail and not OEM.
    The one computer licensing is nothing new, it has been that way since at
    least Windows 95, only now there is an enforcement mechanism.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    lazyringer wrote:
    > with this activation process, you cannot have xp(RETAIL) on more than
    > one machine.

    Not true. With the activation process, MS is just trying to stop you
    from from doing that. Whether you allow them to enforce their whim in
    your home is really YOUR choice, not MS's.

    http://microscum.com/mmpafaq/

    > I would like to remove it from one machine and then
    > install in another. MS tech support told me that this copy of xp
    > cannot get a license for more than one machine.

    Sounds like MS tech support is trying to trick you into buying a copy of
    XP that you don't legally need.

    > I wish I knew that
    > before. I would then have put it on the machine that I want it on
    > now. Can it be removed and then installed on another nachine? Still
    > only one machine licensed.

    Yes, you can move retail XP as many times as you like.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    "Not true..."
    But then the OP must ignore the agreement previously agreed.
    Perhaps you do not abide by agreements you make, but others may have
    integrity.

    --

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    > Jim;
    > Yes, simply remove Windows XP from the first computer and install it
    > on the second computer.
    > This applies to retail and not OEM.
    > The one computer licensing is nothing new, it has been that way since
    > at least Windows 95, only now there is an enforcement mechanism.

    Since Windows 3.1, or 13 years last April. And not one private
    non-commercial individual has been sued let alone found guilty of
    anything for installing a MS OS on more than one computer. MS has
    demonstrated that it is NOT willing to try to legally enforce its
    commercial use terms on any private non-commercial individual.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Whether Microsoft has sued or not is not relevant.
    What is relevant is the EULA agreed.
    Not everyone is as willing to dishonour agreements as you would have them to
    be.

    --

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    > Whether Microsoft has sued or not is not relevant.

    I would LOVE to see a Microsoft lawyer make that argument before a real
    Judge!

    I doubt a real judge would agree with your assessment that MS's
    responsibility to exercise their due diligence wouldn't be relevant!

    > What is relevant is the EULA agreed.

    LOL! And its meaning is debatable. That's why under the LAW, it is the
    courts that decide matters of contractual disputes, not corporations!

    > Not everyone is as willing to dishonour agreements as you would have
    > them to be.

    There is no dishonor in believing that MS's usage terms our commerial
    use terms. There is absolutely no legal precedent that a shrink-wrap
    license is a legally valid private use contract that can legally
    invalidate an individuals right to "fair use."

    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    > message news:O0%23vmi2dFHA.2984@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >> Since Windows 3.1, or 13 years last April. And not one private
    >> non-commercial individual has been sued let alone found guilty of
    >> anything for installing a MS OS on more than one computer. MS has
    >> demonstrated that it is NOT willing to try to legally enforce its
    >> commercial use terms on any private non-commercial individual.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >> http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Speaking of dishonor, I love the way you dishonor yourself, by changing
    another person's words!

    No you may have the last word, as you need to have some advantage over
    me, since you are so lacking in logical thought.

    --

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    > "Not true..."
    > But then the OP must ignore the agreement previously agreed.

    Not true. Even by MS's rules, one can install XP on another computer as
    a 30 day trial.

    > Perhaps you do not abide by agreements you make, but others may have
    > integrity.

    LOL! Like MS has any! Proven Predatory Monopoly! Proven IP Infringer!

    While no one paying customer has been charged with, let alone found
    guilty of doing ANYTHING wrong for installing their copy of software on
    more than one computer!

    You can't seize the moral highground when you are on the same side as
    one of the biggest corporate criminals on the planet!

    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    > message news:uMYU7f2dFHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >> lazyringer wrote:
    >>> with this activation process, you cannot have xp(RETAIL) on more
    >>> than one machine.
    >>
    >> Not true. With the activation process, MS is just trying to stop
    >> you from from doing that. Whether you allow them to enforce their
    >> whim in your home is really YOUR choice, not MS's.
    >>
    >> http://microscum.com/mmpafaq/
    >>
    >>> I would like to remove it from one machine and then
    >>> install in another. MS tech support told me that this copy of xp
    >>> cannot get a license for more than one machine.
    >>
    >> Sounds like MS tech support is trying to trick you into buying a
    >> copy of XP that you don't legally need.
    >>
    >>> I wish I knew that
    >>> before. I would then have put it on the machine that I want it on
    >>> now. Can it be removed and then installed on another nachine? Still
    >>> only one machine licensed.
    >>
    >> Yes, you can move retail XP as many times as you like.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >> http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    LOL! Talk about integrity! You idea of integrity is changing another
    person's words!

    Your actions show what kind of integrity YOU believe in! And now I'll
    let you have the last word here too. I know it means so much to you!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Where has Microsoft stated there is a 30 day trial?
    There is nothing about a trial in the EULA.
    Or is that just another of your assumptions because activation is not
    necessary for 30 days?
    Please cite a source for the 30 day trial.
    That would have to be the EULA or possibly something on Microsoft's website.
    Or are you going to quote someone who possibly did not have the authority of
    Microsoft?
    Again it seems your agenda may have left you a little blind.

    Much of what you said seems to be based on the idea if someone else is
    dishonourable, it is OK for everyone else.
    That could lead to anarchy.
    Myself and others choose to honour our word, you of course are free to do
    otherwise.

    This has nothing to do with "moral highground".
    It has to do with honouring an agreement one has already agreed.

    --

    lazyringer wrote:
    > with this activation process, you cannot have xp(RETAIL) on more than one
    > machine. I would like to remove it from one machine and then install in
    > another. MS tech support told me that this copy of xp cannot get a license
    > for more than one machine. I wish I knew that before. I would then have put
    > it on the machine that I want it on now. Can it be removed and then
    > installed on another nachine? Still only one machine licensed.
    >
    > jim

    Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not legitimately
    transferable), simply remove WinXP from the computer it is currently on
    and then install it on the new computer. If it's been more than 120
    days since you last activated that specific Product Key, the you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

    Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

    Windows Product Activation (WPA)
    http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "lazyringer" <lazyringer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > with this activation process, you cannot have xp(RETAIL) on more than one
    > machine. I would like to remove it from one machine and then install in
    > another. MS tech support told me that this copy of xp cannot get a license
    > for more than one machine. I wish I knew that before. I would then have
    > put
    > it on the machine that I want it on now. Can it be removed and then
    > installed on another nachine? Still only one machine licensed.

    If it IS a Retail (big blue or green box for Pro or Home) copy and not an
    OEM then you CAN move it to a new machine and activate (you may have to do
    so by telephone).

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "lazyringer" <lazyringer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > with this activation process, you cannot have xp(RETAIL) on more than one
    > machine. I would like to remove it from one machine and then install in
    > another. MS tech support told me that this copy of xp cannot get a license
    > for more than one machine. I wish I knew that before. I would then have
    > put
    > it on the machine that I want it on now. Can it be removed and then
    > installed on another nachine? Still only one machine licensed.
    >
    > jim

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:46:47 -0600, in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general , "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
    <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> in
    <##KIPu2dFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl> wrote:

    >Whether Microsoft has sued or not is not relevant.
    >What is relevant is the EULA agreed.
    >Not everyone is as willing to dishonour agreements as you would have them to
    >be.

    An "agreement" whose terms are not disclosed until after I pay is not
    necessarily an agreement.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    I think it goes that Linux using virus writers don't have to
    obey the law or keep their agreements.
    > "Not true..."
    > But then the OP must ignore the agreement previously agreed.
    > Perhaps you do not abide by agreements you make, but others may have
    > integrity.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
    >> lazyringer wrote:
    >>> with this activation process, you cannot have xp(RETAIL) on more than
    >>> one machine.
    >>
    >> Not true. With the activation process, MS is just trying to stop you
    >> from from doing that. Whether you allow them to enforce their whim in
    >> your home is really YOUR choice, not MS's.
    >>
    >> http://microscum.com/mmpafaq/
    >>
    >>> I would like to remove it from one machine and then
    >>> install in another. MS tech support told me that this copy of xp
    >>> cannot get a license for more than one machine.
    >>
    >> Sounds like MS tech support is trying to trick you into buying a copy of
    >> XP that you don't legally need.
    >>
    >>> I wish I knew that
    >>> before. I would then have put it on the machine that I want it on
    >>> now. Can it be removed and then installed on another nachine? Still
    >>> only one machine licensed.
    >>
    >> Yes, you can move retail XP as many times as you like.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >> http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Daniel;
    Not sure I understand what you mean.
    Everyone who is honest will honour agreements they make.
    Linux is free so a lot of this does not apply to Linux.

    --

    "Daniel" <Daniel@nowhere> wrote in message
    >I think it goes that Linux using virus writers don't have to
    > obey the law or keep their agreements.

    Just ignore me, I'm just being a smart A, that kurttrail
    bloke annoys me no end.

    Daniel

    Daniel wrote:
    > Just ignore me, I'm just being a smart A, that kurttrail
    > bloke annoys me no end.

    LOL! Thanks!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    There was a time here in Australia where Microsoft was offering $AUD 5000.00
    for dobbing a pirate in. Still no one was busted for piracy, or should I say
    no one was granted the money from Micrososft for any infringements. Guess
    everyone seen through MS bluff except for Stupider & Co.

    You should start posting to microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea Stupider,
    it will match what comes out your mouth.

    -Winux P.

    Winux P wrote:
    > There was a time here in Australia where Microsoft was offering $AUD
    > 5000.00 for dobbing a pirate in. Still no one was busted for piracy,
    > or should I say no one was granted the money from Micrososft for any
    > infringements. Guess everyone seen through MS bluff except for
    > Stupider & Co.
    > You should start posting to microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > Stupider, it will match what comes out your mouth.

    LOL! Stupider Stones! I like it!

    And he proved he is really is stupid by asking me a bunch of questions
    when I told him I was giving him the last word!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Correct Matt, and in addition one has the legal right and obligation of
    reply, alteration and refutation of any contract put before them. To disable
    the next button on an installation setup prompt, unless a certain option is
    chosen, is a contract agreed to under duress. Take no note Stupider, his
    still waiting for the day MS carpet bombs a country for mass EULA
    disagreements.

    -Winux P.

    "Matt Silberstein" <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
    message news:q33kb19p09es024043pv3vkgu6o3q8o9md@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:46:47 -0600, in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general , "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
    > <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> in
    > <##KIPu2dFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl> wrote:
    >
    >>Whether Microsoft has sued or not is not relevant.
    >>What is relevant is the EULA agreed.
    >>Not everyone is as willing to dishonour agreements as you would have them
    >>be.
    >
    > An "agreement" whose terms are not disclosed until after I pay is not
    > necessarily an agreement.
    >

    > --
    > Matt Silberstein
    >
    > All in all, if I could be any animal, I would want to be
    > a duck or a goose. They can fly, walk, and swim. Plus,
    > there there is a certain satisfaction knowing that at the
    > end of your life you will taste good with an orange sauce
    > or, in the case of a goose, a chestnut stuffing.

    There seems to be a few of them here. I'm sure they put their black
    trousers, white shirts and black name tags on before posting the EULA bible
    cataclysm quotes that are, literally only as strong as the paper there
    printed on. Whose interest are they serving?, certainly not their own,
    that's the scary part. I guess it's a case of Stupider Stones rhetoric
    regarding the questions hes' thrown your way. His mate Mr. CopyPaste King
    (aka. Bruce Chambers) is slightly funnier though. Take your clothes off
    before going to bed guys, it will chill you out.

    MS is yet to make an example of someone or some organisation to this day for
    EULA infringement, well publically anyway.

    -Winux P.

    > Winux P wrote:
    >> There was a time here in Australia where Microsoft was offering $AUD
    >> 5000.00 for dobbing a pirate in. Still no one was busted for piracy,
    >> or should I say no one was granted the money from Micrososft for any
    >> infringements. Guess everyone seen through MS bluff except for
    >> Stupider & Co.
    >> You should start posting to microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >> Stupider, it will match what comes out your mouth.
    >
    > LOL! Stupider Stones! I like it!
    >
    > And he proved he is really is stupid by asking me a bunch of questions
    > when I told him I was giving him the last word!
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Irespective of all the vitriol, excuses and justification, using something
    without permission or without paying for it is theft.

    Daniel
    "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message

    > There seems to be a few of them here. I'm sure they put their black
    > trousers, white shirts and black name tags on before posting the EULA
    > bible cataclysm quotes that are, literally only as strong as the paper
    > there printed on. Whose interest are they serving?, certainly not their
    > own, that's the scary part. I guess it's a case of Stupider Stones
    > rhetoric regarding the questions hes' thrown your way. His mate Mr.
    > CopyPaste King (aka. Bruce Chambers) is slightly funnier though. Take your
    > clothes off before going to bed guys, it will chill you out.
    >
    > MS is yet to make an example of someone or some organisation to this day
    > for EULA infringement, well publically anyway.
    >
    > -Winux P.
    >

    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
    >> Winux P wrote:
    >>> There was a time here in Australia where Microsoft was offering $AUD
    >>> 5000.00 for dobbing a pirate in. Still no one was busted for piracy,
    >>> or should I say no one was granted the money from Micrososft for any
    >>> infringements. Guess everyone seen through MS bluff except for
    >>> Stupider & Co.
    >>> You should start posting to microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >>> Stupider, it will match what comes out your mouth.
    >>
    >> LOL! Stupider Stones! I like it!
    >>
    >> And he proved he is really is stupid by asking me a bunch of questions
    >> when I told him I was giving him the last word!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Daniel wrote:
    > Irespective of all the vitriol, excuses and justification, using
    > something without permission or without paying for it is theft.

    No, it's not. At MOST, it is copyright infringement and/or a contract
    dispute which MS has to bring to a court and be willing to prove it by
    the preponderance of the evidence. Both are civil offences, which not
    one individual has ever been sued for, let alone been found guilty of,
    for installing a copy of software, that was legally sold to the
    individual, on more than one computer.

    Why? Because a copyright owner doesn't have the right to limit such a
    "fair use."

    Theft is a criminal offense, not a civil offense. There is no
    comparison, and only those not bright enough to understand the
    difference between a civil and a criminal offense, attempt to compare
    the two as equals. So please keep proving that you are not bright
    enough to discuss this topic rationally. Thanks.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I payed for it and I don't need excuses, now go take matters into your own
    hands, preferably somewhere private. It will take the pressure off your head
    too.

    -Winux P.

    > Irespective of all the vitriol, excuses and justification, using something
    > without permission or without paying for it is theft.
    >
    > Daniel
    > "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message
    >>
    >> There seems to be a few of them here. I'm sure they put their black
    >> trousers, white shirts and black name tags on before posting the EULA
    >> bible cataclysm quotes that are, literally only as strong as the paper
    >> there printed on. Whose interest are they serving?, certainly not their
    >> own, that's the scary part. I guess it's a case of Stupider Stones
    >> rhetoric regarding the questions hes' thrown your way. His mate Mr.
    >> CopyPaste King (aka. Bruce Chambers) is slightly funnier though. Take
    >> your clothes off before going to bed guys, it will chill you out.
    >>
    >> MS is yet to make an example of someone or some organisation to this day
    >> for EULA infringement, well publically anyway.
    >>
    >> -Winux P.
    >>

    >> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> LOL! Stupider Stones! I like it!
    >>>
    >>> And he proved he is really is stupid by asking me a bunch of questions
    >>> when I told him I was giving him the last word!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Peace!
    >>> Kurt
    >>> Self-anointed Moderator
    >>> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >>> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I think you have (can't remember completely) to reproduce a copy from the
    source and make claim to it, to infringe copyright law. That is, to ensure a
    conviction against you without doubt. Distributing copies without the
    consent of the proprietor may also infringe on copyright amongst other
    things, like theft Mr. Danismell. A contractual infringement without doubt
    involves a contractual agreement (i.e affirmation) between all parties in
    the contract. Then one breaks or alters the agreement, and does not seek
    ratification of the other parties. Or does not inform the other parties,
    that is to say, you alter the conditions of the contract (make no mistake,
    EULA is no contract unless Danismell you agreed to it) you inform the other
    parties and they don't act on your changes. A Judge would look more
    dishonourably on the other parties than you if they started to complain
    about it.

    I wouldn't consider a contractual infringement installing WindowsXP on more
    than one of MY home PCs, since I did not agree nor was aware of the contract
    at the point of sale, or before the sale for that matter. I wouldn't
    consider choosing the "I've read and agreed to the terms of ......" option
    on installation, to enable the next button as a contractual agreement.

    I think a reason why MS is all tight arsed on product activation and genuine
    checks is because their clauses in EULA cannot be policed nor enforced
    properly by law. It's full of holes (more like black holes). You must agree
    to the terms and condition before installing the software??? I just paid for
    it. Don't tell me its' not mine after the sale... So Danismell, who did not
    seek permission, took money and then said it NOT 'properly' your software
    like a thief would do, then come out with all sorts of excuses and
    justification on a bit of paper titled EULA? Chillout I'm being rhetorical
    Danismell, I wouldn't want to pressure your head anymore than it is.

    -Winux P.

    "Daniel" <Daniel@nowhere> wrote in message
    > Irespective of all the vitriol, excuses and justification, using something
    > without permission or without paying for it is theft.
    >
    > Daniel
    > "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message
    >>
    >> There seems to be a few of them here. I'm sure they put their black
    >> trousers, white shirts and black name tags on before posting the EULA
    >> bible cataclysm quotes that are, literally only as strong as the paper
    >> there printed on. Whose interest are they serving?, certainly not their
    >> own, that's the scary part. I guess it's a case of Stupider Stones
    >> rhetoric regarding the questions hes' thrown your way. His mate Mr.
    >> CopyPaste King (aka. Bruce Chambers) is slightly funnier though. Take
    >> your clothes off before going to bed guys, it will chill you out.
    >>
    >> MS is yet to make an example of someone or some organisation to this day
    >> for EULA infringement, well publically anyway.
    >>
    >> -Winux P.
    >>

    >> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> LOL! Stupider Stones! I like it!
    >>>
    >>> And he proved he is really is stupid by asking me a bunch of questions
    >>> when I told him I was giving him the last word!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Peace!
    >>> Kurt
    >>> Self-anointed Moderator
    >>> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >>> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Microsoft Windows XP