Folders Opening in a Command Prompt Window

RJ

My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
icon is clicked.

This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.

I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
the Admins group.

How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OQyCaf2dFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
RJ <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
> Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
> a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
> icon is clicked.
>
> This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
> of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
> opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
> I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
> my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
> a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
>
> I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
> If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
> I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
> only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
> the Admins group.
>
> How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

Hi RJ,

You might want to re-register the shell32.dll file. This can be done by typing the following at
Start/Run and pressing enter:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Hope this helps.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"RJ" <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OQyCaf2dFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
> Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
> a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
> icon is clicked.
>
> This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
> of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
> opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
> I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
> my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
> a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
>
> I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
> If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
> I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
> only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
> the Admins group.
>
> How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

RJ

Thanks very much! That fixed it.

> Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
> when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:OQyCaf2dFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> RJ <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
>> Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
>> a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
>> icon is clicked.
>>
>> This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
>> of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
>> opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
>> I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
>> my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
>> a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
>>
>> I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
>> If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
>> I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
>> only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
>> the Admins group.
>>
>> How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

Glad to hear it. Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OR23zF6dFHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
RJ <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks very much! That fixed it.

>> Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
>> when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:OQyCaf2dFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> RJ <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
>>> Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
>>> a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
>>> icon is clicked.
>>>
>>> This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
>>> of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
>>> opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
>>> I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
>>> my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
>>> a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
>>>
>>> I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
>>> If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
>>> I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
>>> only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member
>>> of the Admins group.
>>>
>>> How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

RJ

Thanks. I downloaded the Doug Knox vbscript (next post), and
it basically re-registered shell32.dll.

Thanks for the tip.

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:e2dU4V3dFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi RJ,
>
> You might want to re-register the shell32.dll file. This can be done by typing the following at
> Start/Run and pressing enter:
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> In memory of Alex Nichol
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "RJ" <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OQyCaf2dFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
>> Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
>> a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
>> icon is clicked.
>>
>> This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
>> of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
>> opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
>> I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
>> my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
>> a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
>>
>> I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
>> If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
>> I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
>> only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
>> the Admins group.
>>
>> How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Resolution:

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

-or-

To fix this manually via registry:

If this problem is seen for Drives:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

If this problem is seen for folders:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"RJ" <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
> Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
> a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
> icon is clicked.
>
> This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
> of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
> opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
> I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
> my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
> a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
>
> I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
> If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
> I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
> only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
> the Admins group.
>
> How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

RJ

Thanks for more good info!

> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via File Types dialog, to
> add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory" feature for folders. (example)
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
>
> Resolution:
>
> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
> (Tip from David Candy)
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>
> -or-
>
> To fix this manually via registry:
>
> If this problem is seen for Drives:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
>
> If this problem is seen for folders:
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "RJ" <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OQyCaf2dFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
>> Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
>> a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
>> icon is clicked.
>>
>> This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
>> of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
>> opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
>> I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
>> my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
>> a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
>>
>> I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
>> If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
>> I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
>> only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
>> the Admins group.
>>
>> How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

You're welcome RJ.