Folders Opening in a Command Prompt Window

My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
icon is clicked.

This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.

I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
the Admins group.

How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?
8 answers Last reply
More about folders opening command prompt window

    Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
    when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OQyCaf2dFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    RJ <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
    > Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
    > a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
    > icon is clicked.
    >
    > This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
    > of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
    > opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
    > I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
    > my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
    > a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
    >
    > I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
    > If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
    > I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
    > only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
    > the Admins group.
    >
    > How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

    Hi RJ,

    You might want to re-register the shell32.dll file. This can be done by typing the following at
    Start/Run and pressing enter:

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    Hope this helps.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "RJ" <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OQyCaf2dFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
    > Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
    > a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
    > icon is clicked.
    >
    > This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
    > of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
    > opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
    > I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
    > my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
    > a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
    >
    > I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
    > If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
    > I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
    > only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
    > the Admins group.
    >
    > How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

    Thanks very much! That fixed it.

    > Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
    > when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:OQyCaf2dFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > RJ <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
    >> Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
    >> a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
    >> icon is clicked.
    >>
    >> This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
    >> of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
    >> opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
    >> I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
    >> my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
    >> a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
    >>
    >> I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
    >> If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
    >> I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
    >> only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
    >> the Admins group.
    >>
    >> How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

    Glad to hear it. Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OR23zF6dFHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    RJ <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks very much! That fixed it.

    >> Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
    >> when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:OQyCaf2dFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> RJ <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
    >>> Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
    >>> a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
    >>> icon is clicked.
    >>>
    >>> This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
    >>> of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
    >>> opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
    >>> I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
    >>> my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
    >>> a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
    >>>
    >>> I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
    >>> If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
    >>> I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
    >>> only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member
    >>> of the Admins group.
    >>>
    >>> How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

    Thanks. I downloaded the Doug Knox vbscript (next post), and
    it basically re-registered shell32.dll.

    Thanks for the tip.

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:e2dU4V3dFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Hi RJ,
    >
    > You might want to re-register the shell32.dll file. This can be done by typing the following at
    > Start/Run and pressing enter:
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > In memory of Alex Nichol
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "RJ" <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OQyCaf2dFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >> My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
    >> Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
    >> a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
    >> icon is clicked.
    >>
    >> This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
    >> of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
    >> opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
    >> I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
    >> my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
    >> a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
    >>
    >> I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
    >> If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
    >> I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
    >> only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
    >> the Admins group.
    >>
    >> How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

    This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
    File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
    feature for folders. (example)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    Resolution:

    Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    (Tip from David Candy)

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    -or-

    To fix this manually via registry:

    If this problem is seen for Drives:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    If this problem is seen for folders:

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "RJ" <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
    > Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
    > a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
    > icon is clicked.
    >
    > This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
    > of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
    > opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
    > I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
    > my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
    > a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
    >
    > I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
    > If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
    > I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
    > only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
    > the Admins group.
    >
    > How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

    Thanks for more good info!

    > This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via File Types dialog, to
    > add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory" feature for folders. (example)
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > Resolution:
    >
    > Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    > (Tip from David Candy)
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >
    > -or-
    >
    > To fix this manually via registry:
    >
    > If this problem is seen for Drives:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >
    > If this problem is seen for folders:
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    > Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "RJ" <jackbobNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OQyCaf2dFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >> My XP Pro SP2 PC is now doing something rather strange.
    >> Instead of open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens
    >> a command prompt window, to the path of the folder, when the folder
    >> icon is clicked.
    >>
    >> This only happens if I click on a folder in the right pane
    >> of Windows Explorer. Clicking on a folder in the left pane
    >> opens the folder in the right pane, as it should.
    >> I have the same problem with any shortcuts to folders on
    >> my Desktop. Instead of opening the folder, it opens
    >> a commnad prompt with the path to the folder.
    >>
    >> I know this has something to do with the File Types tab.
    >> If you click Tools, Folder Options, in Windows Explorer. However, when
    >> I go into the Advanced properties of "File Folder", I can
    >> only Add, I can't Edit or Remove. And yes, I am logged on as a member of
    >> the Admins group.
    >>
    >> How do I fix this? Can it be done through the registry?

    You're welcome RJ.

    --

    > Thanks for more good info!

    >> This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries
    >> via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print
    >> Directory" feature for folders. (example)
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >>
    >> Resolution:
    >>
    >> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    >> (Tip from David Candy)
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >>
    >> -or-
    >>
    >> To fix this manually via registry:
    >>
    >> If this problem is seen for Drives:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    >> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >>
    >> If this problem is seen for folders:
    >>
    >> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    >> Set (default) to "none" (without ")
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User

Windows Explorer Command Prompt Windows XP