Please help me! I didn't know where to post this topic at.

I went in to change my Recyclin Bin icon. I've done it before, but I moved
the icon to a different directory, so I had to go in and change it again.
It's been a while since I did it for the first time, so I don't think I did
it right. The Recyclin Bin icon has errors too. Sometimes it looks like it's
full, but it's not and Vice Versa. That's the least of my problems though. I
cannot change it because...

When I try to open my Regedit, this message pops up:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

Can someone please help me to fix this problem? I'd great appreciate it.

From: "chel" <chel@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Please help me! I didn't know where to post this topic at.
|
| I went in to change my Recyclin Bin icon. I've done it before, but I moved
| the icon to a different directory, so I had to go in and change it again.
| It's been a while since I did it for the first time, so I don't think I did
| it right. The Recyclin Bin icon has errors too. Sometimes it looks like it's
| full, but it's not and Vice Versa. That's the least of my problems though. I
| cannot change it because...
|
| When I try to open my Regedit, this message pops up:
|
| 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
| C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
| C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
| MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
| application.
|
| Can someone please help me to fix this problem? I'd great appreciate it.

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } two batch files, four Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using up to 3 different Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to remove
viruses and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
On Win9x/ME the choices are; Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC
On NT4, Win2k, WinXP and Win2003 Server the choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the
menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE and/or FTP.EXE to go
through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor related files.

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks for your help.

I downloaded that Multi_AV file, but I really don't understand how to do any
of that. :(

From: "chel" <chel@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Thanks for your help.
|
| I downloaded that Multi_AV file, but I really don't understand how to do any
| of that. :(

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

It will bring up a menu. You can hit the letter "h" for a helpful PDF file.

It really is easy.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

As for the Recycle Bin, see if the foolwoing link to Kelly's web site helps:

Line 64 - right hand side

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"chel" <chel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help me! I didn't know where to post this topic at.
>
> I went in to change my Recyclin Bin icon. I've done it before, but I moved
> the icon to a different directory, so I had to go in and change it again.
> It's been a while since I did it for the first time, so I don't think I
> did
> it right. The Recyclin Bin icon has errors too. Sometimes it looks like
> it's
> full, but it's not and Vice Versa. That's the least of my problems though.
> cannot change it because...
>
> When I try to open my Regedit, this message pops up:
>
> 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> Can someone please help me to fix this problem? I'd great appreciate it.

I think I've read that site before, the first link you sent me. I didn't
understand it though. What CD are they talking about? I don't have a CD to
anything. :(

Is there any other way?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following article helps:
>
> "Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
> program"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
>
> As for the Recycle Bin, see if the foolwoing link to Kelly's web site helps:
>
> Line 64 - right hand side

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "chel" <chel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help me! I didn't know where to post this topic at.
> >
> > I went in to change my Recyclin Bin icon. I've done it before, but I moved
> > the icon to a different directory, so I had to go in and change it again.
> > It's been a while since I did it for the first time, so I don't think I
> > did
> > it right. The Recyclin Bin icon has errors too. Sometimes it looks like
> > it's
> > full, but it's not and Vice Versa. That's the least of my problems though.
> > cannot change it because...
> >
> > When I try to open my Regedit, this message pops up:
> >
> > 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> > running
> > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> > application.
> >
> > Can someone please help me to fix this problem? I'd great appreciate it.

Try this. If you can connect to the Internet this gives you the option to get the missing files without the CD
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm
--
Peter