Closed

Win XP stuck in sign-in/logoff loop?

June 22, 2005 6:52:01 PM

I have a machine that seems to be stuck in a loop in the sign-in/logoff
process..
When I start the machine, I get to the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..
I do ctrl-alt-del
I arrive at the "Log on to windows" dialogue box..
I enter my username and password.. and hit enter
windows starts to "load my personal settings"..
plays the log-on music..
and then almost immediatley plays the log-off music..
and I see a brief "logging off" message..
now I'm back at the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..

Argh.. been through this loop about 30 times now..
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:04:03 PM

Try going into Safe Mode and check the Startup Folder or the Run option in
the registry.

"FRAK!" wrote:

> I have a machine that seems to be stuck in a loop in the sign-in/logoff
> process..
> When I start the machine, I get to the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..
> I do ctrl-alt-del
> I arrive at the "Log on to windows" dialogue box..
> I enter my username and password.. and hit enter
> windows starts to "load my personal settings"..
> plays the log-on music..
> and then almost immediatley plays the log-off music..
> and I see a brief "logging off" message..
> now I'm back at the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..
>
> Argh.. been through this loop about 30 times now..
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:09:01 PM

safe mode gives me the exact same problem.. automatically logs off as soon as
I enter username/password.. :(

"Falcore4" wrote:

> Try going into Safe Mode and check the Startup Folder or the Run option in
> the registry.
>
> "FRAK!" wrote:
>
> > I have a machine that seems to be stuck in a loop in the sign-in/logoff
> > process..
> > When I start the machine, I get to the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..
> > I do ctrl-alt-del
> > I arrive at the "Log on to windows" dialogue box..
> > I enter my username and password.. and hit enter
> > windows starts to "load my personal settings"..
> > plays the log-on music..
> > and then almost immediatley plays the log-off music..
> > and I see a brief "logging off" message..
> > now I'm back at the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..
> >
> > Argh.. been through this loop about 30 times now..
June 22, 2005 7:33:01 PM

Are you on a network? If so, try just workstation logon. How many user names
are on the computer? Try loggin on as another user setup on that pc.
Perhaps a profile is corrupt.

"FRAK!" wrote:

> safe mode gives me the exact same problem.. automatically logs off as soon as
> I enter username/password.. :(
>
> "Falcore4" wrote:
>
> > Try going into Safe Mode and check the Startup Folder or the Run option in
> > the registry.
> >
> > "FRAK!" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a machine that seems to be stuck in a loop in the sign-in/logoff
> > > process..
> > > When I start the machine, I get to the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..
> > > I do ctrl-alt-del
> > > I arrive at the "Log on to windows" dialogue box..
> > > I enter my username and password.. and hit enter
> > > windows starts to "load my personal settings"..
> > > plays the log-on music..
> > > and then almost immediatley plays the log-off music..
> > > and I see a brief "logging off" message..
> > > now I'm back at the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..
> > >
> > > Argh.. been through this loop about 30 times now..
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:46:03 PM

Not on a network
2 users: User and Administrator
I've tried logging in as both and get the same problem..

"Falcore4" wrote:

> Are you on a network? If so, try just workstation logon. How many user names
> are on the computer? Try loggin on as another user setup on that pc.
> Perhaps a profile is corrupt.
>
> "FRAK!" wrote:
>
> > safe mode gives me the exact same problem.. automatically logs off as soon as
> > I enter username/password.. :(
> >
> > "Falcore4" wrote:
> >
> > > Try going into Safe Mode and check the Startup Folder or the Run option in
> > > the registry.

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:36:38 PM

"FRAK!" <FRAK!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a machine that seems to be stuck in a loop in the sign-in/logoff
> process..
> When I start the machine, I get to the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin
> window..
> I do ctrl-alt-del
> I arrive at the "Log on to windows" dialogue box..
> I enter my username and password.. and hit enter
> windows starts to "load my personal settings"..
> plays the log-on music..
> and then almost immediatley plays the log-off music..
> and I see a brief "logging off" message..
> now I'm back at the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..
>
> Argh.. been through this loop about 30 times now..

1. Boot the computer using your winxp cd.
2. Press r to enter the Recovery Console when required.
3. At the command prompt type:

cd system32

4. Then type:

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

5. Then type:

exit

Reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done
yet.

6. Run regedit (start>run>regedit)

7. Locate the "Userinit" key in:

NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

8. modify the entry:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,

so that it reads:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,

Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe

--
William
Anonymous

Steps 1-5 CHECK!
Still wont let me log in tho.. still logs off automagically..
Steps 6-8 Can't get there yet..

:(

Hulk Smash!

"WTC" wrote:

> "FRAK!" <FRAK!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a machine that seems to be stuck in a loop in the sign-in/logoff
> > process..
> > When I start the machine, I get to the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin
> > window..
> > I do ctrl-alt-del
> > I arrive at the "Log on to windows" dialogue box..
> > I enter my username and password.. and hit enter
> > windows starts to "load my personal settings"..
> > plays the log-on music..
> > and then almost immediatley plays the log-off music..
> > and I see a brief "logging off" message..
> > now I'm back at the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..
> >
> > Argh.. been through this loop about 30 times now..
>

> 1. Boot the computer using your winxp cd.
> 2. Press r to enter the Recovery Console when required.
> 3. At the command prompt type:
>
> cd system32
>
> 4. Then type:
>
> copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
>
> 5. Then type:
>
> exit
>
> Reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done
> yet.
>
> 6. Run regedit (start>run>regedit)
>
> 7. Locate the "Userinit" key in:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
>
> 8. modify the entry:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,
>
> so that it reads:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,
>
> Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 9:28:25 PM

> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "FRAK!" <FRAK!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a machine that seems to be stuck in a loop in the
>> >sign-in/logoff
>> > process..
>> > When I start the machine, I get to the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin
>> > window..
>> > I do ctrl-alt-del
>> > I arrive at the "Log on to windows" dialogue box..
>> > I enter my username and password.. and hit enter
>> > windows starts to "load my personal settings"..
>> > plays the log-on music..
>> > and then almost immediatley plays the log-off music..
>> > and I see a brief "logging off" message..
>> > now I'm back at the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..
>> >
>> > Argh.. been through this loop about 30 times now..
>>

>> 1. Boot the computer using your winxp cd.
>> 2. Press r to enter the Recovery Console when required.
>> 3. At the command prompt type:
>>
>> cd system32
>>
>> 4. Then type:
>>
>> copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
>>
>> 5. Then type:
>>
>> exit
>>
>> Reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done
>> yet.
>>
>> 6. Run regedit (start>run>regedit)
>>
>> 7. Locate the "Userinit" key in:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
>> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
>>
>> 8. modify the entry:
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,
>>
>> so that it reads:
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,
>>
>> Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe
>>
> Steps 1-5 CHECK!
> Still wont let me log in tho.. still logs off automagically..
> Steps 6-8 Can't get there yet..

I see you are not networked from another post in this thread and you
need to edit the registry, You can do this if you make a BartPE Builder
CD on another computer with a CD burner.

When you have completed the Bootable CD from
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/, I can you instructions on how to edit the
registry from the computer you are having troubles with.

--
William
Anonymous

I think I'm set..

?

"WTC" wrote:

> "FRAK!" <FRAK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "WTC" wrote:
> >
> >> "FRAK!" <FRAK!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> 1. Boot the computer using your winxp cd.
> >> 2. Press r to enter the Recovery Console when required.
> >> 3. At the command prompt type:
> >>
> >> cd system32
> >>
> >> 4. Then type:
> >>
> >> copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
> >>
> >> 5. Then type:
> >>
> >> exit
> >>
> >> Reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done
> >> yet.
> >>
> >> 6. Run regedit (start>run>regedit)
> >>
> >> 7. Locate the "Userinit" key in:
> >>
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> >> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
> >>
> >> 8. modify the entry:
> >>
> >> C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,
> >>
> >> so that it reads:
> >>
> >> C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,
> >>
> >> Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe
> >>
> > Steps 1-5 CHECK!
> > Still wont let me log in tho.. still logs off automagically..
> > Steps 6-8 Can't get there yet..
> >

> I see you are not networked from another post in this thread and you
> need to edit the registry, You can do this if you make a BartPE Builder
> CD on another computer with a CD burner.
>
> When you have completed the Bootable CD from
> http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/, I can you instructions on how to edit the
> registry from the computer you are having troubles with.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:25:58 PM

>I think I'm set..

OK Boot up with the CD you just created. Go to Start>Run and type

regedit

When regedit opens, select HKLM and then FILE > IMPORT HIVE.

Navigate to windows\system32\config (this would be the system directory
from the XP installation.) Select "software", has no file extension.

Now when the hive is loaded, navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\<The name you entered>\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

The value for "Userinit" should be:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,

If "Userinit" does not exist then create a new String Value (REG_SZ)

Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe

When you are finished, select the HKLM\<The name you entered> and the
FILE > UNLOAD HIVE.

Remove CD, reboot and try to login now.

--
William
Anonymous

William,

I read your replies with enthusiasm. I thought for sure that your had the
solution to my problem - I login, then I am immediately logged off.

Unfortunately, the keys you described are already as they should be. Yet,
the problem continues.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Notes: The reason I thought this might be the right solution is that I have
a scheduled process to scan for adware/spyware that ran shortly before the
problem occured. I do not know if it found or removed anything.

Also, the last thing I was doing was setting up a new hard drive to become
the primary drive. I used Western Digital's utility to copy the old drive to
the new drive. There appears to be a problem with the new drive because it
will not boot at all (I get a BIOS error). I put the old drive back in
place, and now I have the login problem.

Thank you,

Tim

"WTC" wrote:

> "FRAK!" <FRAK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I think I'm set..
> >

> OK Boot up with the CD you just created. Go to Start>Run and type
>
> regedit
>
> When regedit opens, select HKLM and then FILE > IMPORT HIVE.
>
> Navigate to windows\system32\config (this would be the system directory
> from the XP installation.) Select "software", has no file extension.
>
> Now when the hive is loaded, navigate to this key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\<The name you entered>\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
>
> The value for "Userinit" should be:
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,
>
> If "Userinit" does not exist then create a new String Value (REG_SZ)
>
> Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe
>
> When you are finished, select the HKLM\<The name you entered> and the
> FILE > UNLOAD HIVE.
>
> Remove CD, reboot and try to login now.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 4:13:24 PM

"Tim Hombs" <TimHombs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> William,
>
> I read your replies with enthusiasm. I thought for sure that your had the
> solution to my problem - I login, then I am immediately logged off.
>
> Unfortunately, the keys you described are already as they should be. Yet,
> the problem continues.
>
> Do you have any other suggestions?
>
> Notes: The reason I thought this might be the right solution is that I
> have
> a scheduled process to scan for adware/spyware that ran shortly before the
> problem occured. I do not know if it found or removed anything.
>
> Also, the last thing I was doing was setting up a new hard drive to become
> the primary drive. I used Western Digital's utility to copy the old drive
> the new drive. There appears to be a problem with the new drive because
> it
> will not boot at all (I get a BIOS error). I put the old drive back in
> place, and now I have the login problem.

Then this may apply to you,

Cause:
Windows SA replaces userinit.exe used in logon with its own wsaupdater.exe.
But uninstalling doesn't revert it back.

Some ant-spyware may have removed or quarantine wsaupdater.exe thinking that
it's harmful.

Fix:
1. Boot the computer using your winxp cd.
2. Press r to enter the Recovery Console when required.
3. At the command prompt type:

cd system32

4. Then type:

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

5. Then type:

exit

Reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done yet.

6. Run regedit (start>run>regedit)

7. Locate the "Userinit" key in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

8. modify the entry:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,

so that it reads:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,

Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe

--
William
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 5:49:01 PM

William,

Thank you again,

That's what I did before, and the problem still occurs. Any other
suggestions?

Tim

"WTC" wrote:

> "Tim Hombs" <TimHombs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > William,
> >
> > I read your replies with enthusiasm. I thought for sure that your had the
> > solution to my problem - I login, then I am immediately logged off.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the keys you described are already as they should be. Yet,
> > the problem continues.
> >
> > Do you have any other suggestions?
> >
> > Notes: The reason I thought this might be the right solution is that I
> > have
> > a scheduled process to scan for adware/spyware that ran shortly before the
> > problem occured. I do not know if it found or removed anything.
> >
> > Also, the last thing I was doing was setting up a new hard drive to become
> > the primary drive. I used Western Digital's utility to copy the old drive
> > the new drive. There appears to be a problem with the new drive because
> > it
> > will not boot at all (I get a BIOS error). I put the old drive back in
> > place, and now I have the login problem.
> >

> Then this may apply to you,
>
> Cause:
> Windows SA replaces userinit.exe used in logon with its own wsaupdater.exe.
> But uninstalling doesn't revert it back.
>
> Some ant-spyware may have removed or quarantine wsaupdater.exe thinking that
> it's harmful.
>
> Fix:
> 1. Boot the computer using your winxp cd.
> 2. Press r to enter the Recovery Console when required.
> 3. At the command prompt type:
>
> cd system32
>
> 4. Then type:
>
> copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
>
> 5. Then type:
>
> exit
>
> Reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done yet.
>
> 6. Run regedit (start>run>regedit)
>
> 7. Locate the "Userinit" key in:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
>
> 8. modify the entry:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,
>
> so that it reads:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,
>
> Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 8:07:07 PM

> William,
>
> Thank you again,
>
> That's what I did before, and the problem still occurs. Any other
> suggestions?

Look at the machine's registry causing the problem via a network machine,
and check if this key exists. If it does not create it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

Name: Userint
Type: REG_SZ
Value: > C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,

Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of 'userinit.exe'.

If you cannot connect by a network machine, make a BartPE disk.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Then I should be able to give you instructions once you create a BartPE
bootable disk..

--
William
Anonymous

William,

Thank you once again.

These are the same instructions you gave at the beginning of the thread. I
followed those instructions. They did not work.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

has the value

C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,

I know this by following your previous instructions on building a BartPE CD.
(This is a great utility by the way. I wish I had known about it before
before I rebuilt other PCs with registry problem.)

As I said before, my PCS has the valuues indicated in your previous
instructions. And yet, the problem continues. Do you have any OTHER
suggestions?

Thank you,

Tim

"WTC" wrote:

> "Tim Hombs" <TimHombs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > William,
> >
> > Thank you again,
> >
> > That's what I did before, and the problem still occurs. Any other
> > suggestions?
> >

> Look at the machine's registry causing the problem via a network machine,
> and check if this key exists. If it does not create it.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
>
> Name: Userint
> Type: REG_SZ
> Value: > C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,
>
> Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of 'userinit.exe'.
>
> If you cannot connect by a network machine, make a BartPE disk.
>
> http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
>
> Then I should be able to give you instructions once you create a BartPE
> bootable disk..
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 8:17:28 PM

"Tim Hombs" <TimHombs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> William,
>
> Thank you again,
>
> That's what I did before, and the problem still occurs. Any other
> suggestions?

Sorry about the last post, I was thinking something else.

The problem may be an incorrect system drive letter rather than
userinit.exe. Open the registry on the system that is causing you
trouble via a networked machine, navigate to:

HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

and delete all values that look like this:

\DosDevices\C

--
William
Anonymous

> William,
>
> Thank you once again.
>
> These are the same instructions you gave at the beginning of the thread.
> followed those instructions. They did not work.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
>
> has the value
>
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,
>
> I know this by following your previous instructions on building a BartPE
> CD.
> (This is a great utility by the way. I wish I had known about it before
> before I rebuilt other PCs with registry problem.)
>
> As I said before, my PCS has the valuues indicated in your previous
> instructions. And yet, the problem continues. Do you have any OTHER
> suggestions?

Sorry about tthat, I was getting confused, a bad day for me, I should have
read the whole post. Try this

The problem may be an incorrect system drive letter rather than
userinit.exe. Open the registry on the system that is causing you
trouble via a networked machine, navigate to:

HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

and delete all values that look like this:

\DosDevices\C

--
William
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 3:51:12 AM

William,

Thank you. This is an interesting line of thought. I had several virtual
CDs installed before I tried to copy the HDD. The copy program was taking a
long time to figure out just what was installed, so I reduced it's work by
uninstalling all of ther virtual CDs.

Could you explain further how I would open the registry from a networked
machine? Do you mean while BartPE is loaded, or while the computer is
sitting at the normal login screen?

I tried "Connect Network Registry" while the other PC was at the login
screen. The registry loads, but I receive an error when I try to expand
anything.

I did not try while BartPE was loaded. It seems to me that the connection
would use the current registry, which is not what I would want to edit if
BartPE is loaded.

I appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Thank you,

Tim

"WTC" wrote:

> "Tim Hombs" <TimHombs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > William,
> >
> > Thank you again,
> >
> > That's what I did before, and the problem still occurs. Any other
> > suggestions?
> >

> Sorry about the last post, I was thinking something else.
>
> The problem may be an incorrect system drive letter rather than
> userinit.exe. Open the registry on the system that is causing you
> trouble via a networked machine, navigate to:
>
> HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
>
> and delete all values that look like this:
>
> \DosDevices\C
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:10:18 AM

> William,
>
> Thank you. This is an interesting line of thought. I had several virtual
> CDs installed before I tried to copy the HDD. The copy program was taking
> long time to figure out just what was installed, so I reduced it's work by
> uninstalling all of ther virtual CDs.
>
> Could you explain further how I would open the registry from a networked
> machine? Do you mean while BartPE is loaded, or while the computer is
> sitting at the normal login screen?
>
> I tried "Connect Network Registry" while the other PC was at the login
> screen. The registry loads, but I receive an error when I try to expand
> anything.
>
> I did not try while BartPE was loaded. It seems to me that the connection
> would use the current registry, which is not what I would want to edit if
> BartPE is loaded.
>
> I appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Tim,

Use the BartPE bootable disc on the machine causing the trouble. When BartPE
has loaded and logged on. Go Start and Run and type

regedit

Highlight the HKLM (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE), then go to "File" menu on the
toolbar and select "Load Hive...".

Navigate to c:\wiindows\System32\Config directory. (This would be on the
Physical Disk, not the Ram Drive which Bart would be using)

Select the "System" file, has no file extension. If you cannot see this file
then unhide "Show Folder and Files" in the Folder Options.

Name the hive "Testing" or whatever you like.

Now navigate to:

HKLM\Testing\System\MountedDevices

and delete all values in the right-hand pane that look like this:

\DosDevices\C

This includes \DosDevices\A , \DosDevices\D and so on.

Then *highlight* HKLM\Testing and go to the "File" menu on the toolbar and
select "Unload Hive"

Reboot and try to log in now.

When your machine reboots, it will recognize the drives and should allow you
to log on.

--
William
Anonymous

William,

That resolved the issue. Thank you so much for your help!

Tim

"WTC" wrote:

> "Tim Hombs" <TimHombs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > William,
> >
> > Thank you. This is an interesting line of thought. I had several virtual
> > CDs installed before I tried to copy the HDD. The copy program was taking
> > long time to figure out just what was installed, so I reduced it's work by
> > uninstalling all of ther virtual CDs.
> >
> > Could you explain further how I would open the registry from a networked
> > machine? Do you mean while BartPE is loaded, or while the computer is
> > sitting at the normal login screen?
> >
> > I tried "Connect Network Registry" while the other PC was at the login
> > screen. The registry loads, but I receive an error when I try to expand
> > anything.
> >
> > I did not try while BartPE was loaded. It seems to me that the connection
> > would use the current registry, which is not what I would want to edit if
> > BartPE is loaded.
> >
> > I appreciate your thoughts on this matter.
> >

> Tim,
>
> Use the BartPE bootable disc on the machine causing the trouble. When BartPE
> has loaded and logged on. Go Start and Run and type
>
> regedit
>
> Highlight the HKLM (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE), then go to "File" menu on the
> toolbar and select "Load Hive...".
>
> Navigate to c:\wiindows\System32\Config directory. (This would be on the
> Physical Disk, not the Ram Drive which Bart would be using)
>
> Select the "System" file, has no file extension. If you cannot see this file
> then unhide "Show Folder and Files" in the Folder Options.
>
> Name the hive "Testing" or whatever you like.
>
> Now navigate to:
>
> HKLM\Testing\System\MountedDevices
>
> and delete all values in the right-hand pane that look like this:
>
> \DosDevices\C
>
> This includes \DosDevices\A , \DosDevices\D and so on.
>
> Then *highlight* HKLM\Testing and go to the "File" menu on the toolbar and
> select "Unload Hive"
>
> Reboot and try to log in now.
>
> When your machine reboots, it will recognize the drives and should allow you
> to log on.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:18:02 AM

> William,
>
> That resolved the issue. Thank you so much for your help!

You're welcome.

--
William
Anonymous

Hi,
I've been having the same problem with my machine. My problem occured after
a I tried to repair an existing windows installation. I tried all the steps
that
you suggested in the previous posts to no avail.
Have you any further wisdom you might share?

Cheers.

"WTC" wrote:

> "Tim Hombs" <TimHombs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > William,
> >
> > That resolved the issue. Thank you so much for your help!
> >

> You're welcome.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 9:33:10 PM

"Stephen O''''Hara" <StephenOHara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:55D04008-9E9B-4CFF-AC1E-B89EA318FB47@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I've been having the same problem with my machine. My problem occured
> after
> a I tried to repair an existing windows installation. I tried all the
> steps
> that
> you suggested in the previous posts to no avail.
> Have you any further wisdom you might share?

How are you connecting to the problematic computer? BartPE or a
NetworkRegistry connection?

Have you tried these steps?

1. Boot the computer using your winxp cd.
2. Press r to enter the Recovery Console when required.
3. At the command prompt type:

cd system32

4. Then type:

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

5. Then type:

exit

Reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done yet.

6. Run regedit (start>run>regedit)

7. Locate the "Userinit" key in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

8. modify the entry:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,

so that it reads:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,

Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe

--
William
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 11:03:01 PM

Yes. I tried all that already. No good.
Machine is still doing this.

"WTC" wrote:

> "Stephen O''''Hara" <StephenOHara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:55D04008-9E9B-4CFF-AC1E-B89EA318FB47@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I've been having the same problem with my machine. My problem occured
> > after
> > a I tried to repair an existing windows installation. I tried all the
> > steps
> > that
> > you suggested in the previous posts to no avail.
> > Have you any further wisdom you might share?
> >

> How are you connecting to the problematic computer? BartPE or a
> NetworkRegistry connection?
>
> Have you tried these steps?
>
> 1. Boot the computer using your winxp cd.
> 2. Press r to enter the Recovery Console when required.
> 3. At the command prompt type:
>
> cd system32
>
> 4. Then type:
>
> copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
>
> 5. Then type:
>
> exit
>
> Reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done yet.
>
> 6. Run regedit (start>run>regedit)
>
> 7. Locate the "Userinit" key in:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
>
> 8. modify the entry:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,
>
> so that it reads:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,
>
> Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 11:47:33 PM

"Stephen O''''''''Hara" <StephenOHara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FB2A3EFF-0351-47E8-A3CC-38523D9F3296@microsoft.com...
> Yes. I tried all that already. No good.
> Machine is still doing this.

Can you verify that you have this entry in the problematic computer. This
would be located in the registry.

Find "Userinit", the value for this key should read.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,

If this key is not present then add it. It will be a REF_SZ type.
Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe and if
windows is not installed on C, then make the necessary changes.

By the way, how are looking at the problematic computer's registry? BartPE
or a networked machine?

--
William
Anonymous

Hi,
Sorry I should have said. I am able to get into safe mode on the affected pc.
That registry entry is there.

"WTC" wrote:

> "Stephen O''''''''Hara" <StephenOHara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:FB2A3EFF-0351-47E8-A3CC-38523D9F3296@microsoft.com...
> > Yes. I tried all that already. No good.
> > Machine is still doing this.
> >

> Can you verify that you have this entry in the problematic computer. This
> would be located in the registry.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> Find "Userinit", the value for this key should read.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,
>
> If this key is not present then add it. It will be a REF_SZ type.
> Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe and if
> windows is not installed on C, then make the necessary changes.
>
> By the way, how are looking at the problematic computer's registry? BartPE
> or a networked machine?
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:18:24 PM

"Stephen O''''''''Hara" <StephenOHara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:4B857E1E-EE47-4AA7-8458-BD12F13B64C7@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> Sorry I should have said. I am able to get into safe mode on the affected
> pc.
> That registry entry is there.

When you log into the computer when not going into safe mode, how long does
it take to automatically log you out?

Also, does this happen on other user accounts?

Could you look in the following registry location

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Once
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and see if there is any entry containing "shutdown -l"

Also look in your Start up folder

c:\documents and settings\all users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
c:\documents and settings\<your user name>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

and see if there is any unreconized entries such as "shutdown -l", a cmd
file, or a bat file.

When in Safe Mode, type "msconfig" in the Run dialog box and uncheck all
Startup entries in the StartUp tab, then try to log in normally.

--
William
Anonymous

I get logged out immediately after it tries to log in.
This happens on all the user accounts.

I've checked the registry entries you suggested and
the appear to be fine. No entry regarding shutdown.

Checked the start up folder. Again this appears to fine.

I also disabled all the start up entries from safe mode
but i still unable to log in.

I'm thinking about hitting it with a rather large hammer to see
if that help. (lol)

Stephen.

"WTC" wrote:

> "Stephen O''''''''Hara" <StephenOHara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:4B857E1E-EE47-4AA7-8458-BD12F13B64C7@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > Sorry I should have said. I am able to get into safe mode on the affected
> > pc.
> > That registry entry is there.
> >

> When you log into the computer when not going into safe mode, how long does
> it take to automatically log you out?
>
> Also, does this happen on other user accounts?
>
> Could you look in the following registry location
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Once
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> and see if there is any entry containing "shutdown -l"
>
> Also look in your Start up folder
>
> c:\documents and settings\all users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
> c:\documents and settings\<your user name>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>
> and see if there is any unreconized entries such as "shutdown -l", a cmd
> file, or a bat file.
>
> When in Safe Mode, type "msconfig" in the Run dialog box and uncheck all
> Startup entries in the StartUp tab, then try to log in normally.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 5:28:15 PM

"Stephen O''''''''Hara" <StephenOHara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:68ACDF99-F592-4F13-9DFC-BA920104D7FF@microsoft.com...
>I get logged out immediately after it tries to log in.
> This happens on all the user accounts.
>
> I've checked the registry entries you suggested and
> the appear to be fine. No entry regarding shutdown.
>
> Checked the start up folder. Again this appears to fine.
>
> I also disabled all the start up entries from safe mode
> but i still unable to log in.
>
> I'm thinking about hitting it with a rather large hammer to see
> if that help. (lol)

Sorry, I do not know what is happening. I would suggest a repair install of
the operating system and see if that helps. This shouldn't affect your data
and programs but you will need to update Windows.

Follow the direction on this page.

William
March 12, 2011 11:19:07 AM

Quote:

"FRAK!" wrote:

> I have a machine that seems to be stuck in a loop in the sign-in/logoff
> process..
> When I start the machine, I get to the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..
> I do ctrl-alt-del
> I arrive at the "Log on to windows" dialogue box..
> I enter my username and password.. and hit enter
> windows starts to "load my personal settings"..
> plays the log-on music..
> and then almost immediatley plays the log-off music..
> and I see a brief "logging off" message..
> now I'm back at the "hit ctrl-alt-del" to begin window..
>
> Argh.. been through this loop about 30 times now..

March 13, 2011 1:36:30 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!