Sign in with
Your question

Apple monitors really worth it?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 15, 2006 4:11:28 AM

After trying out countless LCD/TV's and being left more than dissapointed with their quality as computer monitors, I'm now thinking about getting a huge dedicated LCD monitor instead and getting an LCD TV on the side for other purposes.
Now I've seen the Apple 30" Cinema Display at London Drugs and it looks pretty amazing, however it is also $3k (CAD) and that in combination with a new video card (possibly a new mobo & cpu to boot) will make it just a *bit* ridiculous. I've had 23" & 20" (currently using) Cinema Displays as well, and both are really gorgeous but the price is still leaps and bounds ahead of the competition ($1750 for the 23" w/tax, $1150 for the 20" w/tax). I haven't had the oppurtunity to try any other LCD's yet, just a 20.1" LG one that was, to say the least, terrible in comparison to this apple one. The other 23" LCD's are only a few hundred cheaper than the Apple, but in the 20" & 30" + department the differences are HUGE. For example I could get a 40" Samsung 400P LCD for the exact same price as the 30" Apple.

I need to settle on something soon, and am very tempted to drop the cash on an Apple, but I'm just wondering are there any other LCD's out there that fare up or are better than the Apple ones quality wise? Preferably looking for something 23" & up.

More about : apple monitors worth

June 15, 2006 2:48:12 PM

strange unless i missed something you never mentioned dell :? i have never heard anyone say they would want an apple monitor with them horrible, horrible stands when they could have a dell. perhaps i'm wrong.

have you looked at their 24" and 30" displays. they now have HDTV support as well. i have the older dell 2405FPW and its great. plays all my games with no ghosting and colours are good.

its just a thought and maybe apples are good but if the new dell monitors are as good as mine they are worth looking into.
June 15, 2006 6:10:51 PM

Yeah this is something I've been reading to. I've seen a few dells and they are certainly nice, I've just never seen a dell and an apple side by side and I'd need to see the difference in quality before I gauged the difference in price.
Personally, I like the stand the apple has, I think the look and build of the apple are probably a good part of the reason why they are so expensive.
Related resources
June 15, 2006 6:18:36 PM

maybe we are talking about different stands. i thought briefly about the apples as i ain't an apple person but one look at the stand on their 23" monitor and that was it. the stand i seen allowed you to tilt the monitor and that was it. my dell has height , tilt, swivel and the ability to change to portrait. it may be a small thing but it made the difference to me.

one more point. with apples you are paying for the "looks" if you like them and the name. just look at the ipod. you ain't paying for better tech.
June 15, 2006 6:35:21 PM

Oh definitely, I agree.
With Apple you pay more than a few extra bucks for that Apple name and Apple design. It's just like with Monster cable, everything by them is far overpriced for the mediocre performance they offer, and for the same amount of money or less you can get cables that are 10x better if you know what companies to look for.
The maneuverability of the Dell is nice, but what it really comes down to for me is picture quality. Sure, the Apple's frame looks nice and the Dell can be adjusted to just the *perfect* position, but at the end of the day I am still just looking at the screen ;) 
It's to bad there aren't any dealers that carry both Apple & Dell. I think the only place that has Dell around here is Staples & Office Depot and the only Apple retailer is London Drugs and, of course, the Apple store.

I will go to check out a Dell this weekend, thanks for your input on them, I'm curious to see what they're all about now.
June 16, 2006 4:59:10 PM

Yeah, dells use newer technology than apples too, while being, like, 50% cheaper.
June 18, 2006 2:32:57 AM

Not when compared to similar Dells, which cost less and have more features and better stand design, imo...
!