cannot connect to one computer on the network

Janet

I have 5 computers on a network. 3 have XP Pro and 2 have 2K pro. One of the
XP pro is not visible on the workgroup. And from this same computer all the
rest of the computers are visible exept for one that has 2K Pro. Please help
me network!!!!

Well, check that it has a valid IP address on the same class as the others,
i.e. 192.168.x.x, 10.1.x.x etc. If it does, see if you can ping the IP
address and/or the machine name.

All of the machines are NTFS I would imagine.

"JANET" wrote:

> I have 5 computers on a network. 3 have XP Pro and 2 have 2K pro. One of the
> XP pro is not visible on the workgroup. And from this same computer all the
> rest of the computers are visible exept for one that has 2K Pro. Please help
> me network!!!!

Malke

JANET wrote:

> I have 5 computers on a network. 3 have XP Pro and 2 have 2K pro. One
> of the XP pro is not visible on the workgroup. And from this same
> computer all the rest of the computers are visible exept for one that
> has 2K Pro. Please help me network!!!!

The most common reason for problems with network visibility is a
misconfigured firewall. Make sure you are only running one firewall and
that you have allowed the lan traffic. Here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna:

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Take the time to go through it and it will pinpoint the problem area(s).
Here are additional links to sites which might be useful also:

(Pro)
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm - Adding XP to
an existing network
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

JSR

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005

I pinged the other machine and it timesout. They all have the same class of
IP addresses. Also I think I have NTFS on all machines.