CHKDSK Runs With Logo Screen

When I set CHKDSK to run at next restart, it does NOT display the usual
CHKDSK text interface with the runnning progress of the operation. Instead
it runs while displaying the Windows Logo screen, not with a running
progress bar like ususal though. The logo screen color pallette freezes
until CHKDSK is done, then the machine reboots like normal. What happened to
my CHKDSK text display? This also happens when I set Diskeeper 7.0 to run at
boot time. Instead of the Diskeeper text display, it does the same thing as
CHKDSK. Any ideas? Thanks! -- tom c

To my knowledge, that is how it is supposed to run in Win2k and XP. Older
versions 98, etc. can be run from a DOS prompt.

"Tom C." wrote:

> When I set CHKDSK to run at next restart, it does NOT display the usual
> CHKDSK text interface with the runnning progress of the operation. Instead
> it runs while displaying the Windows Logo screen, not with a running
> progress bar like ususal though. The logo screen color pallette freezes
> until CHKDSK is done, then the machine reboots like normal. What happened to
> my CHKDSK text display? This also happens when I set Diskeeper 7.0 to run at
> boot time. Instead of the Diskeeper text display, it does the same thing as
> CHKDSK. Any ideas? Thanks! -- tom c

That is NOT how chkdsk is supposed to run at startup. Who told you that?

When you run chkdsk at startup you should definitely see the chkdsk screen.
After chkdsk has completed running the computer will automatically reboot
again so that Windows XP can start up normally.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Falcore4" <Falcore4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To my knowledge, that is how it is supposed to run in Win2k and XP. Older
> versions 98, etc. can be run from a DOS prompt.
>
> "Tom C." wrote:
>
>> When I set CHKDSK to run at next restart, it does NOT display the usual
>> CHKDSK text interface with the runnning progress of the operation.
>> Instead
>> it runs while displaying the Windows Logo screen, not with a running
>> progress bar like ususal though. The logo screen color pallette freezes
>> until CHKDSK is done, then the machine reboots like normal. What happened
>> my CHKDSK text display? This also happens when I set Diskeeper 7.0 to run
>> at
>> boot time. Instead of the Diskeeper text display, it does the same thing
>> as
>> CHKDSK. Any ideas? Thanks! -- tom c

How did you initiate chkdsk? There are two major commands. They are:

1. chkdsk c: /f = (fix)
This checks the disk for logical corruption, file table corruption etc and
repairs problems. It checks only the portion of the hard drive that has
information stored on it.

2. chkdsk c: /r = (repair)
This will do what #1 above does and in addition it will check the complete
drive - even the sectors without any information stored in them. This is
similar to the surface check that ran with scandisk under Windows 98.

To find out more about chkdsk open a command prompt window and type in
chkdsk /? You will see the various switches that can be used with chkdsk.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Tom C." <nospam@nospam.nul> wrote in message
> When I set CHKDSK to run at next restart, it does NOT display the usual
> CHKDSK text interface with the runnning progress of the operation. Instead
> it runs while displaying the Windows Logo screen, not with a running
> progress bar like ususal though. The logo screen color pallette freezes
> until CHKDSK is done, then the machine reboots like normal. What happened
> to my CHKDSK text display? This also happens when I set Diskeeper 7.0 to
> run at boot time. Instead of the Diskeeper text display, it does the same
> thing as CHKDSK. Any ideas? Thanks! -- tom c

I am assuming that the command line is commanded from START-RUN. However,
when I do as you suggested, something just flashes on the screen and nothing
else shows up. Is there any other way to find out what switches are
available?
Thanks

> How did you initiate chkdsk? There are two major commands. They are:
>
> 1. chkdsk c: /f = (fix)
> This checks the disk for logical corruption, file table corruption etc and
> repairs problems. It checks only the portion of the hard drive that has
> information stored on it.
>
> 2. chkdsk c: /r = (repair)
> This will do what #1 above does and in addition it will check the complete
> drive - even the sectors without any information stored in them. This is
> similar to the surface check that ran with scandisk under Windows 98.
>
> To find out more about chkdsk open a command prompt window and type in
> chkdsk /? You will see the various switches that can be used with chkdsk.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Tom C." <nospam@nospam.nul> wrote in message
>> When I set CHKDSK to run at next restart, it does NOT display the usual
>> CHKDSK text interface with the runnning progress of the operation.
>> Instead it runs while displaying the Windows Logo screen, not with a
>> running progress bar like ususal though. The logo screen color pallette
>> freezes until CHKDSK is done, then the machine reboots like normal. What
>> happened to my CHKDSK text display? This also happens when I set
>> Diskeeper 7.0 to run at boot time. Instead of the Diskeeper text display,
>> it does the same thing as CHKDSK. Any ideas? Thanks! -- tom c

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Philip K. wrote:

> I am assuming that the command line is commanded from START-RUN. However,
> when I do as you suggested, something just flashes on the screen and nothing
> else shows up. Is there any other way to find out what switches are
> available?
> Thanks

>>How did you initiate chkdsk? There are two major commands. They are:
>>
>>1. chkdsk c: /f = (fix)
>>This checks the disk for logical corruption, file table corruption etc and
>>repairs problems. It checks only the portion of the hard drive that has
>>information stored on it.
>>
>>2. chkdsk c: /r = (repair)
>>This will do what #1 above does and in addition it will check the complete
>>drive - even the sectors without any information stored in them. This is
>>similar to the surface check that ran with scandisk under Windows 98.
>>
>>To find out more about chkdsk open a command prompt window and type in
>>chkdsk /? You will see the various switches that can be used with chkdsk.
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Richard Urban
>>
>>aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>
>>If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>

>>"Tom C." <nospam@nospam.nul> wrote in message
>>
>>>When I set CHKDSK to run at next restart, it does NOT display the usual
>>>CHKDSK text interface with the runnning progress of the operation.
>>>Instead it runs while displaying the Windows Logo screen, not with a
>>>running progress bar like ususal though. The logo screen color pallette
>>>freezes until CHKDSK is done, then the machine reboots like normal. What
>>>happened to my CHKDSK text display? This also happens when I set
>>>Diskeeper 7.0 to run at boot time. Instead of the Diskeeper text display,
>>>it does the same thing as CHKDSK. Any ideas? Thanks! -- tom c

Do start | run | cmd | enter to open a command prompt. Then type the
command you want to run.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

I tried initiating it both from Windows (Properties, Tools, Check Disk, Next
Boot) AND I also booted into safe mode w/command prompt and did it from the
command line. In BOTH cases, CHKDSK ran as I described. This behavior
happens independently of how I initiate CHKDSK. What next?

Tom C. wrote:
> When I set CHKDSK to run at next restart, it does NOT display the usual
> CHKDSK text interface with the runnning progress of the operation. Instead
> it runs while displaying the Windows Logo screen, not with a running
> progress bar like ususal though. The logo screen color pallette freezes
> until CHKDSK is done, then the machine reboots like normal. What happened to
> my CHKDSK text display? This also happens when I set Diskeeper 7.0 to run at
> boot time. Instead of the Diskeeper text display, it does the same thing as
> CHKDSK. Any ideas? Thanks! -- tom c

Top blue border, faded white line at its bottom and white Wondows logo
at top right, bottom blue border with faded gold line at its top,
lighter blue background in the middle area with white text. This is
normal for a scheduled disk check of the system volume.

Steve