Change Computer

Hello,

I upgrade HP computer to new Dell computer.
I put HP's hard disk to Dell computer.
The system is keeping reboot.
I put back to HP computer, then the hard disk is working fine.
How can I fix the problem?
Dell is Pentium 4 2.8GHz with Intel System Chipset
HP is Pentium 3 500MHz with Intel System Chipset too.
The OS is Windows XP Pro with SP2

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about change computer

    The hard disk and Opearting System installed in the HP's hard drive is OEM
    version. There is some information written on the system board of Dell
    computer which might not have recognized the hard drive. Have you used the
    CDs to that ships with the Dell Computer to format and install the version of
    Windows provided by Dell.

    Newbie wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I upgrade HP computer to new Dell computer.
    > I put HP's hard disk to Dell computer.
    > The system is keeping reboot.
    > I put back to HP computer, then the hard disk is working fine.
    > How can I fix the problem?
    > Dell is Pentium 4 2.8GHz with Intel System Chipset
    > HP is Pentium 3 500MHz with Intel System Chipset too.
    > The OS is Windows XP Pro with SP2
    >
    > Thanks

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before starting),
    unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
    IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
    installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
    (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    If you're trying to recover data from the HP hard disk, you have to network
    the two PCs.

    If you simply want to move the HP hard drive to the Dell, you have to
    install a new partition and format. The partition cannot be active if this
    HP hard drive is seen first by the PC prior to the Dell hard drive.

    Be sure the hard drives are in the right position on the ide cable. Master
    (Dell hard drive) goes on the end, HP goes in the middle. If the Dell is a
    WD, it must be setup as master w/slave vice master alone with the jumper
    pins on the hard drive. The HP hard drive will use the slave position with
    its hard drive jumper pins. If using cable select (CS) on either hard
    drive, both must use this configuration (CS) with both of the hard drive
    jumper pins.

    "Newbie" <Newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I upgrade HP computer to new Dell computer.
    > I put HP's hard disk to Dell computer.
    > The system is keeping reboot.
    > I put back to HP computer, then the hard disk is working fine.
    > How can I fix the problem?
    > Dell is Pentium 4 2.8GHz with Intel System Chipset
    > HP is Pentium 3 500MHz with Intel System Chipset too.
    > The OS is Windows XP Pro with SP2
    >
    > Thanks

    Did you try a fresh or repair install of WinXP when you did the disk swap?

    -Winux P

    "Newbie" <Newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I upgrade HP computer to new Dell computer.
    > I put HP's hard disk to Dell computer.
    > The system is keeping reboot.
    > I put back to HP computer, then the hard disk is working fine.
    > How can I fix the problem?
    > Dell is Pentium 4 2.8GHz with Intel System Chipset
    > HP is Pentium 3 500MHz with Intel System Chipset too.
    > The OS is Windows XP Pro with SP2
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks.

    Because the new DELL system only come with Windows XP Pro w/SP2.
    I have a lot of installed software in my old hard disk.
    So, I have to install all program again. right?

    Thanks again!!

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Newbie wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I upgrade HP computer to new Dell computer.
    > > I put HP's hard disk to Dell computer.
    > > The system is keeping reboot.
    > > I put back to HP computer, then the hard disk is working fine.
    > > How can I fix the problem?
    > > Dell is Pentium 4 2.8GHz with Intel System Chipset
    > > HP is Pentium 3 500MHz with Intel System Chipset too.
    > > The OS is Windows XP Pro with SP2
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >

    > Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    > not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before starting),
    > unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
    > IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
    > installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
    > (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:
    >
    > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341
    >
    > The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    > licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    > You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    > you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    > Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    > foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    > is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    > old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    > "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    > reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    > than the Win9x group.
    >
    > As always when undertaking such a significant change, back up any
    > important data before starting.
    >
    > This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    > Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    > 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    > likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    > been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Yes, you understand correctly. Install the programs on the new computer
    to make them work properly.

    Newbie wrote:

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Because the new DELL system only come with Windows XP Pro w/SP2.
    > I have a lot of installed software in my old hard disk.
    > So, I have to install all program again. right?
    >
    > Thanks again!!
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
    >

    >>Newbie wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>I upgrade HP computer to new Dell computer.
    >>>I put HP's hard disk to Dell computer.
    >>>The system is keeping reboot.
    >>>I put back to HP computer, then the hard disk is working fine.
    >>>How can I fix the problem?
    >>>Dell is Pentium 4 2.8GHz with Intel System Chipset
    >>>HP is Pentium 3 500MHz with Intel System Chipset too.
    >>>The OS is Windows XP Pro with SP2
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>

    >> Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    >>not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before starting),
    >>unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
    >>IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
    >>installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
    >>(a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:
    >>
    >>How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341
    >>
    >> The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    >>licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    >> You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    >>you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    >>Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    >>foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    >>is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    >>old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    >>"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    >>reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    >>than the Win9x group.
    >>
    >> As always when undertaking such a significant change, back up any
    >>important data before starting.
    >>
    >> This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    >>Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    >>120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    >>likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    >>been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.
    >>

    >>--
    >>
    >>Bruce Chambers
    >>
    >>Help us help you:
    >>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >>
    >>You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    >>both at once. - RAH

  7. Know more about Computers operating system features, functionality, tasks and more about different operating systems irrespective of platforms, software companies list, programming languages list, software, hardware and more in http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Computers/computer-operating-systems.html

Computers Hewlett Packard Dell Windows XP