Right Click on Desktop & Norton 2005

I have just installed XP Professional SP2 as an upgarde on top of ME.

Two main problems after install, with no problems during install

1) if I right click the desktop, the timer comes up for about 20 seconds
and the screen refeshes and nothing happens. I can right click icons and the
start button and things are OK.

2) I had Norton 2005 installed under ME and everything was fine. Now it
won't start at start up and every time I try and do soemthing like Word it
takes forever to start as it says its trying to iniate a virus scan. If I
manually start it, it hangs... I tried to unistall so I could reinstall but
it won't let me. It will let me run live update though...

Any ideas?

Should I try uninstalling XP back to ME and then doing a reload?

I bought XP professional upgrade. Can I format the hard drive and then do a
clean load of XP with it?

Thanks Eric
3 answers Last reply
More about right click desktop norton 2005

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

    Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1C18BBB9-2811-4F56-88DF-9493B1004906@microsoft.com,
    Eric <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have just installed XP Professional SP2 as an upgarde on top of ME.
    >
    > Two main problems after install, with no problems during install
    >
    > 1) if I right click the desktop, the timer comes up for about 20 seconds
    > and the screen refeshes and nothing happens. I can right click icons and
    > the start button and things are OK.
    >
    > 2) I had Norton 2005 installed under ME and everything was fine. Now it
    > won't start at start up and every time I try and do soemthing like Word it
    > takes forever to start as it says its trying to iniate a virus scan. If I
    > manually start it, it hangs... I tried to unistall so I could reinstall
    > but it won't let me. It will let me run live update though...
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Should I try uninstalling XP back to ME and then doing a reload?
    >
    > I bought XP professional upgrade. Can I format the hard drive and then do
    > a clean load of XP with it?
    >
    > Thanks Eric

    I through out old norton and his buddy macaffee a long time ago. I learned
    that both are the best viruses you can get. go in to all the un installs and
    do that on norton and get rid of it. Then if you are paid up for the next ten
    years on norton re load it. the xp isn't bad it is the norton. goto grisoft
    and buy a good copy and install it.

    MY 2 p
    chuck

    "Chuck" <Chuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I through out old norton and his buddy macaffee a long time ago. I learned
    > that both are the best viruses you can get. go in to all the un installs
    > and
    > do that on norton and get rid of it. Then if you are paid up for the next
    > ten
    > years on norton re load it. the xp isn't bad it is the norton. goto
    > grisoft
    > and buy a good copy and install it.

    ????

Desktops Windows XP