Catt

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

Please, I've asked this question twice now and keep getting vague answers.
Can I use a USB crossover cable or and ethernet crossover cable to link a
new computer and old computer together using the "Files and Settings Wizard"?
The wizard only mentions a serial port/serial port cable. Thats real nice
but notebooks don't have serial ports. The wizard has a "auto detect" which
kind of implies that Windows XP will look for a connection between the old
and new pc but when I run it it just keeps going and going and does not give
any sort of answer. I'm not sure therefore whether I'm doing something wrong
or just wasting my time. Does anybody know for sure?
Thank you.

Files and settings transfer wiz is not designed for transferring everyday
files It's more of a move old settings to a new computer thing.

You might want to use a network 'crossover cable' maybe search your XP
help for 'Direct Cable Connection' and it'll offer this as one method
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621

"Catt" <Catt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please, I've asked this question twice now and keep getting vague answers.
> Can I use a USB crossover cable or and ethernet crossover cable to link a
> new computer and old computer together using the "Files and Settings
> Wizard"?
> The wizard only mentions a serial port/serial port cable. Thats real nice
> but notebooks don't have serial ports. The wizard has a "auto detect"
> which
> kind of implies that Windows XP will look for a connection between the old
> and new pc but when I run it it just keeps going and going and does not
> give
> any sort of answer. I'm not sure therefore whether I'm doing something
> wrong
> or just wasting my time. Does anybody know for sure?
> Thank you.

Catt

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

Thanks for the reply. The "old settings to a new computer thing" is what I'm
trying to do. I'm trying to send my files and settings from a pc to a
notebook. The notebook does not have a serial port so I'm trying to use a USB
between them. I have a usb to usb crossover cable that came with PC2PC
program and thats what I'm trying to use. The article you lead me to gets me
to a choice of 3 ways to connect two computers together..a WAN miniport ,
direct parallel or com port which is serial. So as you can see there is no
USB choice. I dont' know what a WAN miniport is. So how do I connect? Any
idea?
Catt