My computer just died, now what?

When I try to start my computer windows fails to start. I ran diagnostic and
found out my memory was corrupted. (This was from trying to close a program
at startup then suddenly turining off the computer.)
Currently windows xp home is installed on this computer.

My question is: if I buy a new copy of windows xp home, will I be able to
start my computer? Or, if I buy a new copy of windows xp pro, will I be able
to start my computer?

(computer gives option of trying to boot from cd, so maybe it's worth a try?
windows xp home and windows xp pro are intended for upgrade only but this
would be just to get my computer to work)

In needa help wrote:
> When I try to start my computer windows fails to start. I ran
> diagnostic and found out my memory was corrupted. (This was from
> trying to close a program at startup then suddenly turining off the
> computer.)
> Currently windows xp home is installed on this computer.
>
> My question is: if I buy a new copy of windows xp home, will I be
> able to start my computer? Or, if I buy a new copy of windows xp pro,
> will I be able to start my computer?
>
> (computer gives option of trying to boot from cd, so maybe it's worth
> a try? windows xp home and windows xp pro are intended for upgrade
> only but this would be just to get my computer to work)

Reinstall whatever OS you had - do not expect an install of a newer OS to
fix problems..
If you paint something without doing the prep work, it's just going to ruin
the paint job faster.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

If the memory is "bad", you just need to repalce the memory. The system may
boot after. You may need to re-install the current version of XP Home so as
to fix corrupted files (see repair install for more info).

However, if you are talking about the hard drive failing, you can always
replace it and install XP again.

The only time you would ever consider to buy another XP copy is when you are
replacing the motherboard and the version of XP you were use was "locked" to
that motherboard.

Never consider a software replacment when hardware fails.

"In needa help" <In needa help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to start my computer windows fails to start. I ran diagnostic
> and
> found out my memory was corrupted. (This was from trying to close a
> program
> at startup then suddenly turining off the computer.)
> Currently windows xp home is installed on this computer.
>
> My question is: if I buy a new copy of windows xp home, will I be able to
> start my computer? Or, if I buy a new copy of windows xp pro, will I be
> able
> to start my computer?
>
> (computer gives option of trying to boot from cd, so maybe it's worth a
> try?
> windows xp home and windows xp pro are intended for upgrade only but this
> would be just to get my computer to work)

No it won;t help. What is the exact terminology.