NaomiHIkaru

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Well as the title states I am looking into an LCD, but have a CRT that works fine. It's a 19inch Samsung and I have loved it from day one, but now that I look at it it seems a bit bulky to me. I have been looking into the 204B by samsung as well as the viewsonic VX922. I am trying to stick to a 1600x1200 monitor so the 204B looks more likely.

So here's the question, should i ditch my CRT monitor for these reasons?

1)More desk space
2)Easier to carry around(LAN's, etc.)
3)Smaller bezel
4)Jump on the band wagon to LCD's?
5)Maybe dual screen later in the future?
EDIT:
6)Save some on my electric bill by having a less power hungry, lower heat generating monitor

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
They are all good reasons, and there are a couple more. I've been using a Sony E540 21" Trinitron since mid-2000 and have loved it. It was recently damaged in a move and I have had to replace it. Now, when I bought it new it was about $600. They are no longer in production, like most higher in CRT's at the consumer level, but are still quite easy to come across new in box for the $200-300 price range. I seriously considered getting the same however after months of research and internal conflict, I decided to go with the Samsung SyncMaster 215TW. 21" diagonal widescreen, native 1680x1050. Close enough to 1600x1200 and had much better features then the standard 1600x1200 LCD monitors.

In addition to your list, the LCD puts out far less heat and uses less power, but reducing the power bill if that's a concern to you. My Sony was a furnace. I had to install a window a/c in this room because of the extra heat.

HOWEVER, there isn't an LCD on the planet that compares to how a CRT looks. There are pixelation issues on an LCD that occur that do not on CRT's, you get a limited color band with an LCD and therefore see seperated graidents and flaws much easier on an LCD. This can be very annoying during movies. Edges on a CRT are much softer than a LCD and this is very evident in games.

LCD's are still "close" and too many people settle for "good enough" including myself finally. I know that persoanlly, I would still be using my Sony, depsite the pain of weighing 65 pounds and taking up my entire desk, if it was fully functional. I would not have "upgraded" otherwise.

On a side note, this Samsung 215TW has been fantastic. 178 degree viewing at all angles with very minimal washout at certain angles. Ghosting is minimal. Sure, the mouse cursor against a black background has a minute amount of ghosting but so far in games and movies, I haven't had any issues.