.net broadcast viewer end program XP

Everytime I shutdown in XP I am getting an 'Ending Program' window titled
..NET broadcast viewer. Anyone know what this is and/or how to fix it?
4 answers Last reply
More about broadcast viewer program

    Do you have MSN Video Enhanced installed? If there's a little red and white
    icon in systray (area to left of your computer clock), you do. See
    http://video.msn.com.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Rolls wrote:
    > Everytime I shutdown in XP I am getting an 'Ending Program' window titled
    > .NET broadcast viewer. Anyone know what this is and/or how to fix it?

    No, I do not have that installed on my system. Others have reported this same
    problem on various forums but I haven't seen any solutions yet.

    Rolls wrote:

    > No, I do not have that installed on my system. Others have reported
    > this same problem on various forums but I haven't seen any solutions
    > yet.

    Are you using any file-sharing applications (Kazaa, Limewire, etc.)?
    Have you scanned your computer with an antivirus and antispyware tools?
    It has been reported in spyware-fighting circles that some malware is
    installing all of .NET along with all the malware cr*p. Here are
    general malware removal steps, just in case:

    First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's
    Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab.
    You'll see where you can delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear
    its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows
    Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter]. Then follow these detailed
    malware removal steps, doing everything with updated tools in Safe
    Mode. You can find all the links to referenced programs and sites on
    my website here:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
    below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See the links on my
    website for a HijackThis tutorial and places where you can post your
    HJT log. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get help
    with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Please include previous message in your replies here, Rolls.

    I ran several searches for every variation on ".net broadcast viewer" that I
    could think of and didn't find any forum posts anywhere about this. Can you
    cite some specific URLs for related posts anywhere?

    See what Malke posted. Here's my version:

    Check for Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

    When all else fails, HijackThis
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to
    use. It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware.
    **Post your files to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or
    http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**

    --

    Rolls wrote:
    > No, I do not have that installed on my system. Others have reported this
    > same problem on various forums but I haven't seen any solutions yet.

Microsoft Shutdown Windows XP