Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows vista, 2008, and 7 VERY slow boot

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
January 10, 2009 6:30:13 PM

I tried windows vista back when it first came out and was aggravated that i would have to wait 10 minutes for it to boot so i went back to XP. i then tried out the windows 2008 "workstation" with the same problem. now i have installed windows 7 and again the same slow boot.
the process hangs for about 8 minutes at the black loading screen with no hdd light activity. i do not have an external usb hdd attached. i do have 2 ide and 1 sata drive.
in the event view i get:

Session manager initialization caused a slow down in the startup process:
Name : SMSSInit
Total Time : 484348ms
Degradation Time : 474348ms
Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2009‎-‎01‎-‎10T19:55:28.625000000Z

This device took longer to initialize, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:
File Name : PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4&18ffa5f3&0&1
Friendly Name : IDE Channel
Version :
Total Time : 2502ms
Degradation Time : 2ms
Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2009‎-‎01‎-‎10T19:55:28.625000000Z

This device took longer to initialize, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:
File Name : PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4&18ffa5f3&0&0
Friendly Name : IDE Channel
Version :
Total Time : 2503ms
Degradation Time : 3ms
Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2009‎-‎01‎-‎10T19:55:28.625000000Z

This device took longer to initialize, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:
File Name : PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4&fdfaf8c&0&1
Friendly Name : IDE Channel
Version :
Total Time : 2515ms
Degradation Time : 15ms
Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2009‎-‎01‎-‎10T19:55:28.625000000Z

Windows has started up:
Boot Duration : 522720ms
IsDegradation : true
Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2009‎-‎01‎-‎10T19:55:28.625000000Z


any suggestions?
a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2009 7:14:27 PM

What are your system components? Are all drivers installed? Do you have external USB drives?
m
0
l
January 10, 2009 9:07:16 PM

no external usb drive
all drivers are loaded (no yellows under device manager)

a8n-sli deluxe
amd 4600+
2gb corsair ram
7800gt sli
creative audigy 4
m
0
l
Related resources
January 10, 2009 9:39:39 PM

mruno said:
i do have 2 ide and 1 sata drive.


Can you please elaborate on this? Are they all HDD, or is one a CD / DVD drive? Please specify the ones set to slave / master, and which ones are on what cables.
m
0
l
January 10, 2009 9:49:44 PM

This suggests driver, BIOS, firmware, or other hardware problems. If you are logging boot or startup degradation once every 10 or so boots, it may be an OS problem. But several minutes on every boot? That's almost always a hardware problem.

Where did you obtain drivers for all devices? Nearly all drivers provided by ASUS on the download page for A8N Series are seriously out-of-date, even those for Windows XP. Also, SLI is currently not working in BETA drivers from NVIDIA, and may not even be supported in Windows 7 at present time. The Creative Labs product could also be a contributor.

Remove one 7800GT, the Audigy 4, disable onboard Marvell and NVIDIA LAN, then test to see if anything has changed. It seems you never approached this from the view that it could be a hardware problem. Until you do some actual troubleshooting instead of just assuming it must be the OS, there isn't much anyone can help you with.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2009 11:09:26 PM

Does it boot quickly in safe mode? Have you tried removing your sound card (which I presume is a PCI card) to determine if it resolves the issue?
m
0
l
January 10, 2009 11:18:11 PM

Quote:
Can you please elaborate on this? Are they all HDD, or is one a CD / DVD drive? Please specify the ones set to slave / master, and which ones are on what cables.

i have 1 Maxtor ide hdd, 1 NEC ide dvdrw, 1 NEC ide cdrw, 1 Seagate sata hdd.
i have the ide set as master since XP doesnt like sata masters.

Quote:
This suggests driver, BIOS, firmware, or other hardware problems. If you are logging boot or startup degradation once every 10 or so boots, it may be an OS problem. But several minutes on every boot? That's almost always a hardware problem.

Where did you obtain drivers for all devices? Nearly all drivers provided by ASUS on the download page for A8N Series are seriously out-of-date, even those for Windows XP. Also, SLI is currently not working in BETA drivers from NVIDIA, and may not even be supported in Windows 7 at present time. The Creative Labs product could also be a contributor.

Remove one 7800GT, the Audigy 4, disable onboard Marvell and NVIDIA LAN, then test to see if anything has changed. It seems you never approached this from the view that it could be a hardware problem. Until you do some actual troubleshooting instead of just assuming it must be the OS, there isn't much anyone can help you with.


i partly agree with it being a hardware problem, but only with the vista boot loader. it seems vista, 2008 server, and win7 all share the same boot loader which gives me this long of a loading time. windows 2000 and XP both boot up quick (i am currently dual booting with XP).

all the hardware i have was recognized by win7 w/o the need to install any drivers. i did install the nvidia drivers for gfx acceleration and SLI does work. i used the latest vista WQHL drivers. what was interesting when i installed those drivers is that during the setup it said Nvidia windows 7 drivers...

i tried using only one gfx card and removing the sound card. i already have the LANs disabled in the BIOS since i never use them. i also have my on board sound disabled as well.

i have troubleshot this for some time since i wanted to use vista and server 2008.

the only course i have left is to contact MS and see if they can help my problem.

m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2009 11:50:45 PM

ummm lets see, TEST ALL HARDWARE, then report back to us.
m
0
l
January 11, 2009 10:23:07 AM

Quote:
Does it boot quickly in safe mode? Have you tried removing your sound card (which I presume is a PCI card) to determine if it resolves the issue?


still slow in safe mode. it does its 10 minute pause after loading classpnp.sys which i believe is the last driver that is loaded.
yes it is a pci card and yes i tried removing it to see if it would correct the issue.
thanks for the help. i guess i will contact MS to see if they can help.
m
0
l
January 11, 2009 10:41:38 AM

My wife had the same problem. XP Pro would take like 5-7 minutes from pushing the start button to the desktop. At the time she was using a C2D 6400 with a P5B MB. I had tried pretty much every thing: Reinstalling, swapping memory, etc etc. Out of desperation I ended up changing her MB for an Asus P-45 and it this has fixed the problem. In your case this might not be an easy option to implement since sockets 939 MB have pretty much disappeared save for the second hand market.
m
0
l
January 11, 2009 11:43:21 PM

mruno said:
still slow in safe mode. it does its 10 minute pause after loading classpnp.sys which i believe is the last driver that is loaded.

How about BIOS version? The latest is 1805. Or the Silicon Image RAID controller, have you tried disabling as well?

Have you checked Windows Update for updated drivers after installing Windows 7? From NVIDIA's website:
Quote:

NVIDIA drivers for the Windows 7 Beta release can be downloaded directly from Microsoft’s Windows Update service:

After a fresh installation of the Windows 7 Beta, click on the Start button. Click Windows Update (it will be pinned to the top of the start menu). You can also type “Windows Update” into the start menu Search to locate Windows Update.

Within Windows Update, locate and install the NVIDIA driver update (it will either be an important update or an optional update depending on your system).

If Windows 7 is like Vista, you may need to click on advanced settings for Windows Update and make sure to select 'Include optional updates' or something like that.

It could be related to your dual-boot configuration, have you tried installing on separate drive and removing other boot configurations from the equation? I'm not certain what the problem is, but I'm fairly confident its not going to go away if you just wait long enough. I doubt seriously the underlying issue is on Microsoft's end. I am not aware of any reports of this affecting other NF4 or NF5 boards (though ASUS A8N and A8N32 Series sure has its share of problems).
m
0
l
January 12, 2009 6:02:59 AM

Windows Vista are slow it's also i approved.but it's look & his graphis are so sweetest of other windows like xp,2003 etc. and microsoft are more different extra fiture are attech this windows.but my point of view micrisoft are this problem solved by own conversation.
m
0
l
January 12, 2009 8:20:10 PM

Quote:
How about BIOS version? The latest is 1805. Or the Silicon Image RAID controller, have you tried disabling as well?

Have you checked Windows Update for updated drivers after installing Windows 7? From NVIDIA's website:

Yes i have 1805 and I have enabled the optional updates. The only thing it downloaded was a PCI Express Root update.

I will try disabling the raid. I don't even use it anyway.

Quote:
It could be related to your dual-boot configuration, have you tried installing on separate drive and removing other boot configurations from the equation? I'm not certain what the problem is, but I'm fairly confident its not going to go away if you just wait long enough. I doubt seriously the underlying issue is on Microsoft's end. I am not aware of any reports of this affecting other NF4 or NF5 boards (though ASUS A8N and A8N32 Series sure has its share of problems).


I do have XP and Win7 on separate drives.

I suspect the issue may be hard drive related but I am not eager to format all my drives and remove them all and add them back one at a time... at least not yet.

UPDATE: I already have the RAID disabled. Again, this problem only happens on Vista+ OSes. I have used 2000, XP, and Ubuntu without any problems.
m
0
l
July 13, 2009 6:52:20 PM

Usually lot's of stuff on performance and such including drive stuff:

http://www.microdevsys.com/WordPress/2008/11/08/ms-wind...
http://www.russharvey.bc.ca/resources/windows.html
http://www.tomstricks.com/tag/windows-7-annoyances/


One of them might have what you need. Have you tried the windows logs? Is the drive light on consistently as it boot slowly? Some of the above list disk diagnostic utilities. Have you tried any of those? Have you tried to revert to and use the default bios settings instead?

Regards,
m
0
l
July 14, 2009 1:49:35 AM

wow i forgot about this thread until i got the email from your reply.

i found the problem was an old 8gb hdd i had installed. when i removed it the slow boot up was gone. during the time it was at the boot screen the hdd light was not on.
m
0
l
January 8, 2010 7:45:01 AM

Slow startup is a common even of Windows user.

No matter which system you use(Windows 7/vista/2008/xp), They both built-in a lot of services and startup item start with system. So if you want a faster windows, you need to disable some of them first.

I saw a article before in ezine(A famous article site). It descripe how to make you windows 7 faster. And here is the url --------------------> Windows 7 Boot Slow


If you still don't know how to disable services safety, Click here to fix Windows 7 Slow easily.

Any questions? Welcome to discuss with me! Enjoy it !

m
0
l
January 24, 2010 2:43:12 AM

Keron Chew said:
Slow startup is a common even of Windows user.

No matter which system you use(Windows 7/vista/2008/xp), They both built-in a lot of services and startup item start with system. So if you want a faster windows, you need to disable some of them first.

I saw a article before in ezine(A famous article site). It descripe how to make you windows 7 faster. And here is the url --------------------> Windows 7 Boot Slow


If you still don't know how to disable services safety, Click here to fix Windows 7 Slow easily.

Any questions? Welcome to discuss with me! Enjoy it !

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Keron Chew ---- A Computer Technician
http://www.pianoeasy.net/virtual_piano.gif Funny Virtual Piano Software



Hello keron Chew:
Thank your for your post! My computer is better than before by following that article and the tools.

And do you know how to deal with the indexing folder? I don't know how to treat it better. It will be welcome that if you can contact me by anyway.

Thank you again!
m
-1
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 24, 2010 2:49:32 AM

oh god spam advertising
m
0
l
February 25, 2010 7:09:03 AM

:bounce: 










Keron Chew said:
Slow startup is a common even of Windows user.

No matter which system you use(Windows 7/vista/2008/xp), They both built-in a lot of services and startup item start with system. So if you want a faster windows, you need to disable some of them first.

I saw a article before in ezine(A famous article site). It descripe how to make you windows 7 faster. And here is the url --------------------> Windows 7 Boot Slow


If you still don't know how to disable services safety, Click here to fix Windows 7 Slow easily.

Any questions? Welcome to discuss with me! Enjoy it !



Hello keron Chew:
Thank your for your post! My computer is better than before by following that article and the tools.

And do you know how to deal with the indexing folder? I don't know how to treat it better. It will be welcome that if you can contact me by anyway.

Thank you again!








:wahoo: 
m
0
l
April 20, 2010 12:30:53 AM

Good Post! My Pc is faster now! Thank you very much!
m
0
l
June 10, 2010 12:22:40 PM

Thank you !
m
0
l
!