can't send email

I am running windows xp, and I have direcway satellite broadband. I can't
send email from any of three email clients I've tried. I've turned off my
firewall and I still can't send email. I can only send email through webmail,
not from any email client. It also took me four attempts to get to this site.
IE kept having fatal crashes every time I got here. I have very little hair
left right now. I've been tearing it all out.
4 answers Last reply
More about send email

    We may need some more information to help you before you loose all your hair.
    Any error messages when trying to send or receive email ?
    Any other firewall software installed ? Norton Internet security / Zone
    alarm ?

    Fatal error with IE:
    Repair IE:

    Try IEFix: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

    Or, try the manual procedure below:

    First, try reinstalling from the INF files.
    Click Start/Run/Type the following command:
    rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
    %windir%\inf\ie.inf

    Clean spywares using ad-aware/cwshredder:

    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
    Change IE options:

    Internet Explorer | Tools menu | Internet options | Advanced tab | Uncheck
    Enable third-party browser extension.

    --
    JonyBrv

    XP&bald! wrote:

    > I am running windows xp, and I have direcway satellite broadband. I
    > can't send email from any of three email clients I've tried. I've
    > turned off my firewall and I still can't send email. I can only send
    > email through webmail, not from any email client. It also took me four
    > attempts to get to this site. IE kept having fatal crashes every time
    > I got here. I have very little hair left right now. I've been tearing
    > it all out.

    Rather than tearing your hair out, you should call DirecWay tech
    support. Most probably you have the wrong smtp settings. DirecWay has
    very specific and non-standard settings for their Internet connection.

    The email problem may not be related to the IE crashing problem. Are you
    sure that your computer is 100% virus and malware-free? If you think
    so, how did you determine this?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Your mail servers are:
    Inbounds Pop3.direcway.com 66.82.4.73
    Outbounds smtp.direcway.com 66.82.4.76

    Open a command prompt and ping those servers.
    Also some email setups use non-standard ports. You
    should probably contact Direcway and ask about their
    configuration. Another issue with mail configuration is
    folks entering their full email address for the account name.
    Some email account setups only requires the username...
    Not - ThisPerson@Direcway, but ThisPerson
    But as Malke told you, this could also be Malware or
    perhaps an issue with your Hosts table.

    "XP&bald!" <XP&bald!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running windows xp, and I have direcway satellite broadband. I can't
    > send email from any of three email clients I've tried. I've turned off my
    > firewall and I still can't send email. I can only send email through
    > webmail,
    > not from any email client. It also took me four attempts to get to this
    > site.
    > IE kept having fatal crashes every time I got here. I have very little
    > hair
    > left right now. I've been tearing it all out.

    If you are using a newer Direcway system {two way}, you should have the
    DW-6000 {single vertical inside unit with five blue lights}. In which case,
    there are no Direcway files in your computer. Unless you are using a
    wireless or other type network, your interface with the DW-6000 is your
    Ethernet cable.

    Suggestions:

    1. Open the DW 6000 System Control Center and check System Status for
    problems. If you do not have a shortcut to the control center, open your
    browser and enter: http://192.168.0.1 in the address box.

    2. Go to My Direcway {
    http://dssweb01.mydirecway.com/mydw/mydw.servlet?reqtype=doDisplayUserHome }.
    In the Help Center, at the bottom of Account Info, you will find a link to a
    Email Client Setup Tool which will setup your Direcway email for common
    email clients. If you are using a Powered By Direcway ISP, you need to go
    their home page.

    3. You may also may to go to: http://www.copperhead.cc/ and seek help
    from Direcway experts. There is a one time fee for full access.

    4. Call your technical support number. If you are using Direcway as
    your ISP the US number is: 866-251-2790. If you call technical support, you
    should first print out the System Information from 1 above.

    Don

Email Windows XP