can't send email

June 23, 2005 12:21:01 AM

I am running windows xp, and I have direcway satellite broadband. I can't
send email from any of three email clients I've tried. I've turned off my
firewall and I still can't send email. I can only send email through webmail,
not from any email client. It also took me four attempts to get to this site.
IE kept having fatal crashes every time I got here. I have very little hair
left right now. I've been tearing it all out.

More about : send email

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:07:02 AM

We may need some more information to help you before you loose all your hair.
Any error messages when trying to send or receive email ?
Any other firewall software installed ? Norton Internet security / Zone
alarm ?

Fatal error with IE:
Repair IE:

Try IEFix: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Or, try the manual procedure below:

First, try reinstalling from the INF files.
Click Start/Run/Type the following command:
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
%windir%\inf\ie.inf

Clean spywares using ad-aware/cwshredder:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
Change IE options:

Internet Explorer | Tools menu | Internet options | Advanced tab | Uncheck
Enable third-party browser extension.

--
JonyBrv

"XP&bald!" wrote:

> I am running windows xp, and I have direcway satellite broadband. I can't
> send email from any of three email clients I've tried. I've turned off my
> firewall and I still can't send email. I can only send email through webmail,
> not from any email client. It also took me four attempts to get to this site.
> IE kept having fatal crashes every time I got here. I have very little hair
> left right now. I've been tearing it all out.
June 23, 2005 11:02:04 AM

XP&bald! wrote:

> I am running windows xp, and I have direcway satellite broadband. I
> can't send email from any of three email clients I've tried. I've
> turned off my firewall and I still can't send email. I can only send
> email through webmail, not from any email client. It also took me four
> attempts to get to this site. IE kept having fatal crashes every time
> I got here. I have very little hair left right now. I've been tearing
> it all out.

Rather than tearing your hair out, you should call DirecWay tech
support. Most probably you have the wrong smtp settings. DirecWay has
very specific and non-standard settings for their Internet connection.

The email problem may not be related to the IE crashing problem. Are you
sure that your computer is 100% virus and malware-free? If you think
so, how did you determine this?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Your mail servers are:
Inbounds Pop3.direcway.com 66.82.4.73
Outbounds smtp.direcway.com 66.82.4.76

Open a command prompt and ping those servers.
Also some email setups use non-standard ports. You
should probably contact Direcway and ask about their
configuration. Another issue with mail configuration is
folks entering their full email address for the account name.
Some email account setups only requires the username...
Not - ThisPerson@Direcway, but ThisPerson
But as Malke told you, this could also be Malware or
perhaps an issue with your Hosts table.

> XP&bald! wrote:
>
>> I am running windows xp, and I have direcway satellite broadband. I
>> can't send email from any of three email clients I've tried. I've
>> turned off my firewall and I still can't send email. I can only send
>> email through webmail, not from any email client. It also took me four
>> attempts to get to this site. IE kept having fatal crashes every time
>> I got here. I have very little hair left right now. I've been tearing
>> it all out.
>
> Rather than tearing your hair out, you should call DirecWay tech
> support. Most probably you have the wrong smtp settings. DirecWay has
> very specific and non-standard settings for their Internet connection.
>
> The email problem may not be related to the IE crashing problem. Are you
> sure that your computer is 100% virus and malware-free? If you think
> so, how did you determine this?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:50:23 PM

"XP&bald!" <XP&bald!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running windows xp, and I have direcway satellite broadband. I can't
> send email from any of three email clients I've tried. I've turned off my
> firewall and I still can't send email. I can only send email through
> webmail,
> not from any email client. It also took me four attempts to get to this
> site.
> IE kept having fatal crashes every time I got here. I have very little
> hair
> left right now. I've been tearing it all out.

If you are using a newer Direcway system {two way}, you should have the
DW-6000 {single vertical inside unit with five blue lights}. In which case,
there are no Direcway files in your computer. Unless you are using a
wireless or other type network, your interface with the DW-6000 is your
Ethernet cable.

Suggestions:

1. Open the DW 6000 System Control Center and check System Status for
problems. If you do not have a shortcut to the control center, open your
browser and enter: http://192.168.0.1 in the address box.

2. Go to My Direcway {
http://dssweb01.mydirecway.com/mydw/mydw.servlet?reqtyp... }.
In the Help Center, at the bottom of Account Info, you will find a link to a
Email Client Setup Tool which will setup your Direcway email for common
email clients. If you are using a Powered By Direcway ISP, you need to go
their home page.

3. You may also may to go to: http://www.copperhead.cc/ and seek help
from Direcway experts. There is a one time fee for full access.

4. Call your technical support number. If you are using Direcway as
your ISP the US number is: 866-251-2790. If you call technical support, you
should first print out the System Information from 1 above.

Don
!