Happy New Year everyone!

Anyone have any idea how many players are playing over the Ineternet over
the judges or PBEM?

Dorian Love

"Dorian Love" <leogends@iafrica.com> writes:

>Happy New Year everyone!

>Anyone have any idea how many players are playing over the Ineternet over
>the judges or PBEM?

>Dorian Love

Hi Dorian, Happy New Year to you too, my rough guess is that the
number of actives continues to hover around 10,000.... based on
the rough numbers on the Judges, DipBounced, Redscape, Diplomacy 2000,
18centres, cat23 etc. It would be rather difficult, in my view,
to pin the number down very precisely as there are lots and lots
and lots of subhobbies all around the world. And most people settle
into one subhobby and stay there.

Jim-Bob

In article <cr3vrt$glu$1@pcls4.std.com>, Jim Burgess
<burgess@TheWorld.com> writes
>"Dorian Love" <leogends@iafrica.com> writes:
>
>>Happy New Year everyone!
>
>>Anyone have any idea how many players are playing over the Ineternet over
>>the judges or PBEM?
>
>>Dorian Love
>
>Hi Dorian, Happy New Year to you too, my rough guess is that the
>number of actives continues to hover around 10,000.... based on
>the rough numbers on the Judges, DipBounced, Redscape, Diplomacy 2000,
>18centres, cat23 etc. It would be rather difficult, in my view,
>to pin the number down very precisely as there are lots and lots
>and lots of subhobbies all around the world. And most people settle
>into one subhobby and stay there.

Yep, a frinstance. The Greylabyrinth has about 30 players, none of who
play elsewhere, we have a couple of very lazy 1 move a week games
running PBEM and with manual RP moderation. Fall 1926 took just over 17
months. ChienFou

--
John (MadDog) Probst| . ! -^- |AIM GLChienFou
451 Mile End Road | /|__. \:/ |BCLive ChienFou

"John (MadDog) Probst" <john@asimere.com> writes:

>In article <cr3vrt$glu$1@pcls4.std.com>, Jim Burgess
><burgess@TheWorld.com> writes
>>"Dorian Love" <leogends@iafrica.com> writes:
>>
>>>Happy New Year everyone!
>>
>>>Anyone have any idea how many players are playing over the Ineternet over
>>>the judges or PBEM?
>>
>>>Dorian Love
>>
>>Hi Dorian, Happy New Year to you too, my rough guess is that the
>>number of actives continues to hover around 10,000.... based on
>>the rough numbers on the Judges, DipBounced, Redscape, Diplomacy 2000,
>>18centres, cat23 etc. It would be rather difficult, in my view,
>>to pin the number down very precisely as there are lots and lots
>>and lots of subhobbies all around the world. And most people settle
>>into one subhobby and stay there.

>Yep, a frinstance. The Greylabyrinth has about 30 players, none of who
>play elsewhere, we have a couple of very lazy 1 move a week games
>running PBEM and with manual RP moderation. Fall 1926 took just over 17
>months. ChienFou
>>
>>Jim-Bob

>--
>John (MadDog) Probst| . ! -^- |AIM GLChienFou
>451 Mile End Road | /|__. \:/ |BCLive ChienFou
>London E3 4PA | / @ __) -|- |john:at:asimere:dot:com
>+44-(0)20 8983 5818 | /\ --^ | |www.asimere.com/~john

And for some of the big hobby groups, Redscape, for example, has
over 4000 members alone (not all of them are active, but about
1000 have joined in each of the last two years). My point is
proved by you, that there are lots of small groups that would
be really hard to count.

Jim-Bob

By my count, there were about 4900 unique players on the Judges last
year, playing about 17000 positions in 1900 games last year. That's
just the Judges (including USDP, the DipPouch judge); it doesn't
include Internet games played with human adjudicators, or on Bounced,
or through the RTDip community on the DipAI servers, or various other
methods of using the Internet to play Diplomacy.

Those numbers are up from 4690 players, 15288 positions in 1775 games
in 2003.

Doug

It's slow growth, at this point; 5-10% per year.
Growth was very rapid in the 1990s, then
leveled off by 2000 or so.

The number of games by year (based on
the dates they completed):

1989: 7
1990: 7
1991: 31
1992: 93
1993: 224
1994: 323
1995: 298
1996: 521
1997: 1049
1998: 1184
1999: 1377
2000: 1476
2001: 1570
2002: 1697
2003: 1775
2004: ~1900

Doug

masseyd@gmail.com writes:

> By my count, there were about 4900 unique players on the Judges last
> year, playing about 17000 positions in 1900 games last year. That's
> just the Judges (including USDP, the DipPouch judge); it doesn't
> include Internet games played with human adjudicators, or on Bounced,
> or through the RTDip community on the DipAI servers, or various other
> methods of using the Internet to play Diplomacy.
>
> Those numbers are up from 4690 players, 15288 positions in 1775 games
> in 2003.

So, is it a general tendency that the number of players/positions are
growing for each year, and is there any correspondence to particular
events, such as new releases of the board game?

On 4 Jan 2005 11:51:43 -0800, "Doug" <masseyd@gmail.com> wrote:

>It's slow growth, at this point; 5-10% per year.
>Growth was very rapid in the 1990s, then
>leveled off by 2000 or so.
>
>The number of games by year (based on
>the dates they completed):

<snip>

Is there any break down by variant or does that only include standard
type of games? How about press/no-press??

Just wondering - if the info happens to be available. :)

Ian
--
Ian, Cath, Eoin and Calum Ford
Beccles, Suffolk, UK

I loved the word you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

There's no e-mail address. We can talk here and go back to your place later

That's very interesting. I don't have numbers to back this up, but it
seems to me that there was very rapid growth in the human-adjudicated
communities (Dip 2000, various Yahoo! groups, etc.) beginning just as
growth on the Judges was leveling off. (I think that growth has itself
leveled off now.) That would make sense if we figure the Judges and
the human-adjudicated games appeal to different subsets of the hobby.

"Tehipite Tom" <tehipite@my-deja.com> wrote in

> That's very interesting. I don't have numbers to back this up, but it
> seems to me that there was very rapid growth in the human-adjudicated
> communities (Dip 2000, various Yahoo! groups, etc.) beginning just as
> growth on the Judges was leveling off. (I think that growth has itself
> leveled off now.) That would make sense if we figure the Judges and
> the human-adjudicated games appeal to different subsets of the hobby.

Avoid the kind with neutrons.

--
Visit http://tinyurl.com/3sjb4 to sponsor me in the February 12, 2005
Vermont Special Olympics "Penguin Plunge". All donations are greatly

TRENDING THREADS