Esoteric: Introduction

Last response: in Video Games
January 11, 2005 3:03:40 PM

Hi,

I'm new to Diplomacy. Admittedly, I fall into the category of people
who are fascinated by the fact that a game which appears to have
simple rules in fact appears to contain paradoxical situations.

As my posts may be rather esoteric as I ask questions, I will
place the string "Esoteric:" before the actual posting.

People new to Diplomacy (like myself, though I've done a fair amount
of reading), should note that it is my understanding from readings
on the web that you can enjoy a face-to-face game without worrying
about paradoxical situations because they don't occur very often;
and, if this is your objective, please feel free to ignore my posts.
Thanks

More about : esoteric introduction

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 6:20:54 PM

Hi,

Prior to posting I read over those posts dealing with rules and
arbitrations
dating back through the year 2002 (though, of course, I may have missed
a few articles). In one of these more technically oriented articles,
one
author stated that such esoteric matters might give the impression that
one needed to be a lawyer to play Diplomacy. So, my general intent was
to say that in general, there is no dependency between my questions and
a person's enjoyment of the game. Of course, as you point out, it is
always
possible that an esoteric, obscure question on a paradoxical and
unusual
board situation may on occasion touch upon matters that effect everyone
dramatically.

Thanks.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:40:32 AM

"NewsGroupUser" <Google2007@mailinator.com> writes:

>Hi,

>I'm new to Diplomacy. Admittedly, I fall into the category of people
>who are fascinated by the fact that a game which appears to have
>simple rules in fact appears to contain paradoxical situations.

>As my posts may be rather esoteric as I ask questions, I will
>place the string "Esoteric:" before the actual posting.

>People new to Diplomacy (like myself, though I've done a fair amount
>of reading), should note that it is my understanding from readings
>on the web that you can enjoy a face-to-face game without worrying
>about paradoxical situations because they don't occur very often;
>and, if this is your objective, please feel free to ignore my posts.
>Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean about ignoring your posts, it is very
relevant to note that the VERY small number of potentially
paradoxical situations that could arise where it might matter
which version of the rulebook you are using (some "paradoxes"
are resolved by certain issues of the rules) almost NEVER
will arise in FTF play. And moreover, if they DO arise, it is
likely because someone is "joking around" by trying to make
them happen. In some rooms this will engender great handwringing
while in others everyone will just laugh.

Don't get fascinated by Diplomacy because of paradoxes, that will
send you in the "wrong" direction on enjoying the game.

IMHO,
Jim-Bob
!