Craig_Johnson

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
Aside from the usual hard drive utility programs, I'm looking for some sort of bootable CD I can resize WinXp and Fat32 partitions. I often get to work on other peoples computers and need to resize partitions, but don't want to install any software. Something Linux would be nice, but the bootable diskette/CD would be preferred. Any suggestions?

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
If you look at the Knoppix review here on Toms, there is an app similar to partition magic in one of the Knoppix bootable cds(believe it's the default one, but may be one of the tweaked CD images)

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
make a boot CD with any CD burning proggy (Nero, etc.) and put Partition Madjik.exe into it (the one that is usually on the floppy). Boot with it, start the proggy from DOS prompt.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Craig_Johnson

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
Thats a good Idea, but would require that I actually BUY Partition Magic. I have an old copy of 5 with the boot diskettes for support of NTFS on Windows 2000, but it doesn't work right with WinXP NTFS - Darn Micro$oft, changing the file structure all the time.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
how else did you want to "get" the PM that will work with XP? I don't use PM personally, it takes very very much of the time to play with loaded partitions, I just save my stuff, repartition the way I want, install windows, copy stuff back to whatever I want. Done in no time, no risk to looze any files with PM, and jee, so much easier.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Here's a link I picked up recently for a free partition manager. Haven't yet checked it out. But you might wanna look at it. I was under the impression it was like Partition Magic, only free. But again, I haven't checked it out yet (I'm a tax cpa, so I'll get to it soon. Whew 4/15 almost over!)

<A HREF="http://www.ranish.com/part/" target="_new">http://www.ranish.com/part/</A>

If you do check it out/use it, let me know how it works out.
Thanks

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE