clayton

I am having problems with my notebook's FDD, I'm trying to install MS-DOS
6.22 and I am installing disk 1 to start the installation and when I have
the disk already inserted it asks me to insert in, I keep pressing enter and
nothing will happen, after several attempts of pressing enter it will
continue to install, then it asks for disk 2, so I insert disk 2 and press
enter and it still asks me to insert disk 2 which is already installed and
again after several attempts it will continue, I have already have the
floppy drive replace yesterday and have no idea why this is happening, I
tried the disks in my desktop pc and all worked without fail

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

could be bad data on the floppy bad drive bad connection, what is the
relation to xp ???
--
there are no problems, just challenges

"Clayton" wrote:

> I am having problems with my notebook's FDD, I'm trying to install MS-DOS
> 6.22 and I am installing disk 1 to start the installation and when I have
> the disk already inserted it asks me to insert in, I keep pressing enter and
> nothing will happen, after several attempts of pressing enter it will
> continue to install, then it asks for disk 2, so I insert disk 2 and press
> enter and it still asks me to insert disk 2 which is already installed and
> again after several attempts it will continue, I have already have the
> floppy drive replace yesterday and have no idea why this is happening, I
> tried the disks in my desktop pc and all worked without fail

Are you writing that you are trying to install DOS on the same drive partition as Windows
XP?
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> I am having problems with my notebook's FDD, I'm trying to install MS-DOS
> 6.22 and I am installing disk 1 to start the installation and when I have
> the disk already inserted it asks me to insert in, I keep pressing enter and
> nothing will happen, after several attempts of pressing enter it will
> continue to install, then it asks for disk 2, so I insert disk 2 and press
> enter and it still asks me to insert disk 2 which is already installed and
> again after several attempts it will continue, I have already have the
> floppy drive replace yesterday and have no idea why this is happening, I
> tried the disks in my desktop pc and all worked without fail

You may want to make sure that the floppy disk was formated on the same or
similiar floppy drive. Sometimes floppy disk/drives are not always 100%
compatible. If that is the case make new disks using the computer you want
to install on, format however many disks you need for DOS 6.22 (3 or 4?) and
create new DOS disk with them.

"Clayton" wrote:

> I am having problems with my notebook's FDD, I'm trying to install MS-DOS
> 6.22 and I am installing disk 1 to start the installation and when I have
> the disk already inserted it asks me to insert in, I keep pressing enter and
> nothing will happen, after several attempts of pressing enter it will
> continue to install, then it asks for disk 2, so I insert disk 2 and press
> enter and it still asks me to insert disk 2 which is already installed and
> again after several attempts it will continue, I have already have the
> floppy drive replace yesterday and have no idea why this is happening, I
> tried the disks in my desktop pc and all worked without fail

Floppy Drive is going bad

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> I am having problems with my notebook's FDD, I'm trying to install MS-DOS
> 6.22 and I am installing disk 1 to start the installation and when I have
> the disk already inserted it asks me to insert in, I keep pressing enter
and
> nothing will happen, after several attempts of pressing enter it will
> continue to install, then it asks for disk 2, so I insert disk 2 and press
> enter and it still asks me to insert disk 2 which is already installed and
> again after several attempts it will continue, I have already have the
> floppy drive replace yesterday and have no idea why this is happening, I
> tried the disks in my desktop pc and all worked without fail

clayton

Well, not relation to XP. I'm using Virtual PC to do this within XP and
since the desktop doesn't have problems, I've ruled out the VPC software,
floppy disks/data and drive. Don't really know where to turn to now.

Clayton wrote:

> I am having problems with my notebook's FDD, I'm trying to install MS-DOS
> 6.22 and I am installing disk 1 to start the installation and when I have

Dont do it while in XP.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

clayton

It's in A MS Virtual PC window when it happens and since it's not a VPC
problem as I don't have this issue with my desktop, I'm posting here since
my notebook is runnign XP

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> Clayton wrote:
>>
>> I am having problems with my notebook's FDD, I'm trying to install MS-DOS
>> 6.22 and I am installing disk 1 to start the installation and when I have
>
> Dont do it while in XP.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

clayton

I'll try your suggestion Penny and see how I go, you do make some sense,
cheers

"Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You may want to make sure that the floppy disk was formated on the same or
> similiar floppy drive. Sometimes floppy disk/drives are not always 100%
> compatible. If that is the case make new disks using the computer you
> want
> to install on, format however many disks you need for DOS 6.22 (3 or 4?)
> and
> create new DOS disk with them.
>
> "Clayton" wrote:
>
>> I am having problems with my notebook's FDD, I'm trying to install MS-DOS
>> 6.22 and I am installing disk 1 to start the installation and when I have
>> the disk already inserted it asks me to insert in, I keep pressing enter
>> and
>> nothing will happen, after several attempts of pressing enter it will
>> continue to install, then it asks for disk 2, so I insert disk 2 and
>> press
>> enter and it still asks me to insert disk 2 which is already installed
>> and
>> again after several attempts it will continue, I have already have the
>> floppy drive replace yesterday and have no idea why this is happening, I
>> tried the disks in my desktop pc and all worked without fail

clayton

That didn't work, still thinks there is no disk inserted,

"Penny" <Penny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You may want to make sure that the floppy disk was formated on the same or
> similiar floppy drive. Sometimes floppy disk/drives are not always 100%
> compatible. If that is the case make new disks using the computer you
> want
> to install on, format however many disks you need for DOS 6.22 (3 or 4?)
> and
> create new DOS disk with them.
>
> "Clayton" wrote:
>
>> I am having problems with my notebook's FDD, I'm trying to install MS-DOS
>> 6.22 and I am installing disk 1 to start the installation and when I have
>> the disk already inserted it asks me to insert in, I keep pressing enter
>> and
>> nothing will happen, after several attempts of pressing enter it will
>> continue to install, then it asks for disk 2, so I insert disk 2 and
>> press
>> enter and it still asks me to insert disk 2 which is already installed
>> and
>> again after several attempts it will continue, I have already have the
>> floppy drive replace yesterday and have no idea why this is happening, I
>> tried the disks in my desktop pc and all worked without fail

Get a "new" one at a second-hand shop. It's the floppy drive going south.

--
George Hester