PSU/HDDs POOF and the fabled blue screen of death

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Hey everyone. I believe my PSU (Antec Truepower 430) died last night taking my HDD's with it. I was working on my computer and while defragmenting my C drive, I heard a "click click" and suddenly, my C drive disappeared (in windows). In fact, all the partitions disappeared. It was like my HDD got unplugged while turned on. I have two HDD's in my computer and the 2nd one still showed up. I shutdown and tried to restart, but to no avail....and there was a distinct burning smell coming from my PSU. So After buying a new PSU and installing it, everything seemed to work fine...exept the disk check was correcting bad sectors and I couldn't boot into windows. Everything posted and checked out OK in my BIOS, but it would freeze or reboot on the Windows XP boot screen (with the little scrolling bar). I tried reformatting and reinstalling windows), but I would get the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH every single time I tried to install. Formatting went OK, but installing windows either resulted in a reboot or blue screen. Same story for the second HDD (that didn't disappear). Is this just an HDD problem or are there other factors involved here? Could my mobo or CPU be fried as well?

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, 1GB Geil Platinum PC4000, Antec TruePower 430, Swiftech MCX4000 w/Sanyo Denki 92mm - 26 deg idle.</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by KrazyNutz on 04/15/04 09:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
UPDATE: one HDD definitely screwd, other OK. tried installing windows on an untainted HDD and got same problems. Ran MemTest86 several times over, no errors. Anyone got a clue where my problem might lie?

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, 1GB Geil Platinum PC4000, Antec TruePower 430, Swiftech MCX4000 w/Sanyo Denki 92mm - 26 deg idle.</font color=blue>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Sorry to hear it. Doesn't sound good, but did you back off that OC before trying to reinstall? If not, set the cpu back to stock and retry maybe. I've never tried to reinstall with an OC cuz I've heard it can make probs.

Good Luck

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Dude, I'm gonna kick my own ass. Being an Asus die-hard, I've always had faith in ye olde "crash-free" bios, foolishly believing it was the perfect answer to the CMOS jumper manuever. Well lads, when your PSU dies and a harddrive disappears, it screws up your IRQ's somethin' fierce and that little CMOS jumper reset trick works wonders. I thought about it the night everything happened but blew it off remembering Asus's "crash-free" bios. Well, bottom line, all is well and my benchmark scores are as good as ever. Thanks everyone!

Man, I'm a tard. From now on, I'm doin' things old school...

YOU'RE MY BOY, BLUE!!!

<font color=blue>Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 2.6C @ 3.25Ghz, 1GB Geil Platinum PC4000, Antec TruePower 430, Swiftech MCX4000 w/Sanyo Denki 92mm - 26 deg idle.</font color=blue>