Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

EXT HDD PROBLEM CONTINUED!!!

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:15:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

My Learned Friends,

I had a problem with my external hard drive…which I informed you guys about.
I was advised to solve the problem (potentially) using chkdsk on the drive.
It worked to an extent Some, in fact the majority of files were recovered.
However the problem remains in that not all files were recovered and NOW one
file…when clicked on to gain access I am told that the drive is not formatted
and would I like to format it now. Of course, I would not as the information
is important. I enclose a copy of my previous letter to give you a full
spectra of the saga.

Please advise

Again I thank you in advance

Yours,

Joe

previous letter:

To my learned friends,

I am having problems with an external hard drive I purchased about a year
ago. Files seem to be disappearing. I have a file which contained about 12gb
of information (music files etc). The file now only has 88mb of information.
It is the top part of the files but as you can see is only a fraction of what
it used to be. What has happened to the files? I have done a search in the
drive…and no sign of them. Also, the system information does not register any
increase on the ‘free space’ of the drive. I am at a loss. What is happening?
Can I retrieve the files? It is really punishing to think that they may be
lost to me for good.

Any Ideas?

Please advise.

Thanking you in advance

Yours sincerely,

Joe
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 10:57:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You say that files are spontaneously disappearing. You also say that by
running chkdsk on the drive that you got most of them back.

It appears that the drive is experiencing logical corruption. It may be that
you are turning off the drive, or rebooting, before everything is written to
the drive. It could also be that the drive is bad.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you thought you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"JOE X5" <JOEX5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2FE4C17A-3C7D-428A-B9B0-570827BAC393@microsoft.com...
> My Learned Friends,
>
> I had a problem with my external hard drive.which I informed you guys
> about.
> I was advised to solve the problem (potentially) using chkdsk on the
> drive.
> It worked to an extent Some, in fact the majority of files were recovered.
> However the problem remains in that not all files were recovered and NOW
> one
> file.when clicked on to gain access I am told that the drive is not
> formatted
> and would I like to format it now. Of course, I would not as the
> information
> is important. I enclose a copy of my previous letter to give you a full
> spectra of the saga.
>
> Please advise
>
> Again I thank you in advance
>
> Yours,
>
> Joe
>
> previous letter:
>
> To my learned friends,
>
> I am having problems with an external hard drive I purchased about a year
> ago. Files seem to be disappearing. I have a file which contained about
> 12gb
> of information (music files etc). The file now only has 88mb of
> information.
> It is the top part of the files but as you can see is only a fraction of
> what
> it used to be. What has happened to the files? I have done a search in the
> drive.and no sign of them. Also, the system information does not register
> any
> increase on the 'free space' of the drive. I am at a loss. What is
> happening?
> Can I retrieve the files? It is really punishing to think that they may be
> lost to me for good.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanking you in advance
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Joe
>
>
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 6:43:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

JOE X5 wrote:

> My Learned Friends,
>
> I had a problem with my external hard drive…which I informed you guys about.
> I was advised to solve the problem (potentially) using chkdsk on the drive.
> It worked to an extent Some, in fact the majority of files were recovered.
> However the problem remains in that not all files were recovered and NOW one
> file…when clicked on to gain access I am told that the drive is not formatted
> and would I like to format it now. Of course, I would not as the information
> is important. I enclose a copy of my previous letter to give you a full
> spectra of the saga.
>
> Please advise
>
> Again I thank you in advance
>
> Yours,
>
> Joe

Backup the files, delete the partition, repartition and reformat the drive.

Steve

>
> previous letter:
>
> To my learned friends,
>
> I am having problems with an external hard drive I purchased about a year
> ago. Files seem to be disappearing. I have a file which contained about 12gb
> of information (music files etc). The file now only has 88mb of information.
> It is the top part of the files but as you can see is only a fraction of what
> it used to be. What has happened to the files? I have done a search in the
> drive…and no sign of them. Also, the system information does not register any
> increase on the ‘free space’ of the drive. I am at a loss. What is happening?
> Can I retrieve the files? It is really punishing to think that they may be
> lost to me for good.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanking you in advance
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Joe
>
>
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:40:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You can get more information about Partitions, File Systems internals
and Data Recovery concepts on http://www.datadoctor.biz/author.htm

Cheers!

Tarun Tyagi
!