Relocate Desktop

June 23, 2005 5:52:02 AM

The current default location of the destop is in C drive. How do I move it to
my D drive? Thus, whenever I copy someting to the desktop, it will save to D
drive rather than C drive. Currently running XP Home, SP2

More about : relocate desktop

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 3:18:08 PM

"FreddoFrog" <FreddoFrog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The current default location of the destop is in C drive. How do I move it to
>my D drive? Thus, whenever I copy someting to the desktop, it will save to D
>drive rather than C drive. Currently running XP Home, SP2

You can move this folder in TweakUI > My Computer > Special Folders.
TweakUI is available from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/....

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents
Folder

MORE INFORMATION
The My Documents folder is your own personal folder in
which you can store your documents, graphics, and other
personal files. When there is more that one person
using the computer, Windows creates a My Documents
folder for each user on the computer.

By default, the target or actual location of the My
Documents folder is C:\Documents and Settings\user
name\My Documents, where C is the drive in which
Windows is installed, and user name is the currently
logged-on user. You can change the target if you want
My Documents to point to a different folder location.
Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
To change the default location of the My Documents
folder, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then
point to My Documents.
2. Right-click My Documents, and then click
Properties.
3. Click the Target tab.
4. In the Target box, do one of the following: .
Type the path to the folder location that you want, and
then click OK. For example, D:\My Stuff.

If the folder does not exist, the Create
Message dialog box is displayed. Click Yes to create
the folder, and then click OK.

-or-
. Click Move, click the folder in which to
store your documents, and then click OK twice.

If you need to create a new folder, click
Make New Folder. Type a name for the folder, and then
click OK twice.

5. In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move
your documents to the new location, or click No to
leave your documents in the original location.

Restore the My Documents Folder to Its Default Location
To restore the My Documents folder to its default
location, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then
point to My Documents.
2. Right-click My Documents, and then click
Properties.
3. Click Restore Default, and then click OK.
4. In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move
your documents to the new location, or click No to
leave your documents in the original location.

Remove the My Documents Folder from the Start menu
If you do not want to display My Documents on the Start
menu, follow these steps: 1. Right-click Start, and
then click Properties. Or, if the Start menu is already
displayed, right-click an empty area of the Start menu,
and then click Properties.
2. Click Customize.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. In the Start menu items list, under My
Documents, click Don't display this item, and then
click OK twice.

The next time you click Start, the My Documents
folder is no longer displayed on the Start menu.
NOTE: Removing the My Documents folder from the Start
menu does not remove the files stored in the target
location of the My Documents folder.
Display the My Documents Folder on the Start menu
To display My Documents on the Start menu, follow these
steps: 1. Right-click Start, and then click Properties.
Or, if the Start menu is already displayed, right-click
an empty area of the Start menu, and then click
Properties.
2. Click Customize.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. In the Start menu items list, under My
Documents, click Display as a link or Display as a
menu, and then click OK twice.

The next time you click Start, the My Documents
folder is displayed on the Start menu.

"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:o 66T4R9dFHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "FreddoFrog" <FreddoFrog@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>>The current default location of the destop is in C
>>drive. How do I move it to
>>my D drive? Thus, whenever I copy someting to the
>>desktop, it will save to D
>>drive rather than C drive. Currently running XP Home,
>>SP2
>
> You can move this folder in TweakUI > My Computer >
> Special Folders.
> TweakUI is available from
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/....
>
> --
> (tm)
> ICQ: 192649233
June 23, 2005 9:09:07 PM

Thanks Pops though I was more interested in relocating my desktop, unless
when you move the My Documents folder is there an option to also move the
desktop. Mind you, I have already moved My Documents to D drive but this
hasn't effected my desktop location.

Any other advice on relocating my desktop?

=============

"PopS" wrote:

> [...]
> Properties.
> 2. Click Customize.
> 3. Click the Advanced tab.
> 4. In the Start menu items list, under My
> Documents, click Display as a link or Display as a
> menu, and then click OK twice.
>
> The next time you click Start, the My Documents
> folder is displayed on the Start menu.
>
> "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
> news:o 66T4R9dFHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > "FreddoFrog" <FreddoFrog@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>The current default location of the destop is in C
> >>drive. How do I move it to
> >>my D drive? Thus, whenever I copy someting to the
> >>desktop, it will save to D
> >>drive rather than C drive. Currently running XP Home,
> >>SP2
> >
> > You can move this folder in TweakUI > My Computer >

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 9:10:01 PM

Thanks Thorsten, will give this a go.

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "FreddoFrog" <FreddoFrog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >The current default location of the destop is in C drive. How do I move it to
> >my D drive? Thus, whenever I copy someting to the desktop, it will save to D
> >drive rather than C drive. Currently running XP Home, SP2
>
> You can move this folder in TweakUI > My Computer > Special Folders.
> TweakUI is available from
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/....
>
> --
> (tm)