Relocate Desktop

The current default location of the destop is in C drive. How do I move it to
my D drive? Thus, whenever I copy someting to the desktop, it will save to D
drive rather than C drive. Currently running XP Home, SP2
5 answers Last reply
More about relocate desktop

    "FreddoFrog" <FreddoFrog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >The current default location of the destop is in C drive. How do I move it to
    >my D drive? Thus, whenever I copy someting to the desktop, it will save to D
    >drive rather than C drive. Currently running XP Home, SP2

    You can move this folder in TweakUI > My Computer > Special Folders.
    TweakUI is available from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.

    --
    (tm)
    ICQ: 192649233

    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents
    Folder

    MORE INFORMATION
    The My Documents folder is your own personal folder in
    which you can store your documents, graphics, and other
    personal files. When there is more that one person
    using the computer, Windows creates a My Documents
    folder for each user on the computer.

    By default, the target or actual location of the My
    Documents folder is C:\Documents and Settings\user
    name\My Documents, where C is the drive in which
    Windows is installed, and user name is the currently
    logged-on user. You can change the target if you want
    My Documents to point to a different folder location.
    Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    To change the default location of the My Documents
    folder, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then
    point to My Documents.
    2. Right-click My Documents, and then click
    Properties.
    3. Click the Target tab.
    4. In the Target box, do one of the following: .
    Type the path to the folder location that you want, and
    then click OK. For example, D:\My Stuff.

    If the folder does not exist, the Create
    Message dialog box is displayed. Click Yes to create
    the folder, and then click OK.

    -or-
    . Click Move, click the folder in which to
    store your documents, and then click OK twice.

    If you need to create a new folder, click
    Make New Folder. Type a name for the folder, and then
    click OK twice.

    5. In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move
    your documents to the new location, or click No to
    leave your documents in the original location.

    Restore the My Documents Folder to Its Default Location
    To restore the My Documents folder to its default
    location, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then
    point to My Documents.
    2. Right-click My Documents, and then click
    Properties.
    3. Click Restore Default, and then click OK.
    4. In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move
    your documents to the new location, or click No to
    leave your documents in the original location.

    Remove the My Documents Folder from the Start menu
    If you do not want to display My Documents on the Start
    menu, follow these steps: 1. Right-click Start, and
    then click Properties. Or, if the Start menu is already
    displayed, right-click an empty area of the Start menu,
    and then click Properties.
    2. Click Customize.
    3. Click the Advanced tab.
    4. In the Start menu items list, under My
    Documents, click Don't display this item, and then
    click OK twice.

    The next time you click Start, the My Documents
    folder is no longer displayed on the Start menu.
    NOTE: Removing the My Documents folder from the Start
    menu does not remove the files stored in the target
    location of the My Documents folder.
    Display the My Documents Folder on the Start menu
    To display My Documents on the Start menu, follow these
    steps: 1. Right-click Start, and then click Properties.
    Or, if the Start menu is already displayed, right-click
    an empty area of the Start menu, and then click
    Properties.
    2. Click Customize.
    3. Click the Advanced tab.
    4. In the Start menu items list, under My
    Documents, click Display as a link or Display as a
    menu, and then click OK twice.

    The next time you click Start, the My Documents
    folder is displayed on the Start menu.

    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "FreddoFrog" <FreddoFrog@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The current default location of the destop is in C
    >>drive. How do I move it to
    >>my D drive? Thus, whenever I copy someting to the
    >>desktop, it will save to D
    >>drive rather than C drive. Currently running XP Home,
    >>SP2
    >
    > You can move this folder in TweakUI > My Computer >
    > Special Folders.
    > TweakUI is available from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)
    > ICQ: 192649233

    Thanks Pops though I was more interested in relocating my desktop, unless
    when you move the My Documents folder is there an option to also move the
    desktop. Mind you, I have already moved My Documents to D drive but this
    hasn't effected my desktop location.

    Any other advice on relocating my desktop?

    =============

    "PopS" wrote:

> [...]
    > an empty area of the Start menu, and then click
    > Properties.
    > 2. Click Customize.
    > 3. Click the Advanced tab.
    > 4. In the Start menu items list, under My
    > Documents, click Display as a link or Display as a
    > menu, and then click OK twice.
    >
    > The next time you click Start, the My Documents
    > folder is displayed on the Start menu.
    >
    > "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > > "FreddoFrog" <FreddoFrog@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>The current default location of the destop is in C
    > >>drive. How do I move it to
    > >>my D drive? Thus, whenever I copy someting to the
    > >>desktop, it will save to D
    > >>drive rather than C drive. Currently running XP Home,
    > >>SP2
    > >
    > > You can move this folder in TweakUI > My Computer >

    Thanks Thorsten, will give this a go.

    "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

    > "FreddoFrog" <FreddoFrog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The current default location of the destop is in C drive. How do I move it to
    > >my D drive? Thus, whenever I copy someting to the desktop, it will save to D
    > >drive rather than C drive. Currently running XP Home, SP2
    >
    > You can move this folder in TweakUI > My Computer > Special Folders.
    > TweakUI is available from
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)