Intermittent problem connecting with Remote Desktop

June 23, 2005 6:41:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I wish to work from home sometimes. So, I leave my work PC on when I
leave at night. My work PC is XP Pro SP2, my home PC is W2k.

This morning I tried to connect using Remote Desktop. I could see my
work desktop login for a second or two, then it would just bomb out. I
tried again and again. Sometimes I would get a "Network error"
message.

So, I came in to work. My PC is locked, as I'd expect (it is also set
to go into standby mode after 15 minutes). I unlocked it and began
working. When my wife called from home, I asked her to try to connect,
and she was able to connect with no problems.

So, it appears that if my work PC is active and unlocked, I can connect
from home. If it is on standby (and/or locked), I cannot. Does this
sound right?

TIA

Edward
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 9:01:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If its in standby you need to look at using Wake-On-LAN to wake it up...

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxWOL.htm

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

<teddysnips@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I wish to work from home sometimes. So, I leave my work PC on when I
> leave at night. My work PC is XP Pro SP2, my home PC is W2k.
>
> This morning I tried to connect using Remote Desktop. I could see my
> work desktop login for a second or two, then it would just bomb out. I
> tried again and again. Sometimes I would get a "Network error"
> message.
>
> So, I came in to work. My PC is locked, as I'd expect (it is also set
> to go into standby mode after 15 minutes). I unlocked it and began
> working. When my wife called from home, I asked her to try to connect,
> and she was able to connect with no problems.
>
> So, it appears that if my work PC is active and unlocked, I can connect
> from home. If it is on standby (and/or locked), I cannot. Does this
> sound right?
>
> TIA
>
> Edward

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 10:56:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

I've run into some issues with this. It commonly occurs if the use fully
logs out, the RD access is denied. If left logged in, even if the station is
locked, the RD access works ok. Haven't been able to bug it out yet, so as a
workaround I leave the target account logged on, but with the station
locked.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<teddysnips@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I wish to work from home sometimes. So, I leave my work PC on when I
> leave at night. My work PC is XP Pro SP2, my home PC is W2k.
>
> This morning I tried to connect using Remote Desktop. I could see my
> work desktop login for a second or two, then it would just bomb out. I
> tried again and again. Sometimes I would get a "Network error"
> message.
>
> So, I came in to work. My PC is locked, as I'd expect (it is also set
> to go into standby mode after 15 minutes). I unlocked it and began
> working. When my wife called from home, I asked her to try to connect,
> and she was able to connect with no problems.
>
> So, it appears that if my work PC is active and unlocked, I can connect
> from home. If it is on standby (and/or locked), I cannot. Does this
> sound right?
>
> TIA
>
> Edward

June 23, 2005 7:42:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

teddysnips@hotmail.com wrote:

> So, it appears that if my work PC is active and unlocked, I can
> connect from home. If it is on standby (and/or locked), I cannot.

If either your processor ("system") or your NIC has gone into standby, then
you cannot make incoming connections.

It does not matter whether or not your monitor has gone into standby.

Check your control panel Power Options. Set "System standby" and "System
hibernates" to "Never".

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

> I've run into some issues with this. It commonly occurs if the use
> fully logs out, the RD access is denied. If left logged in, even if
> the station is locked, the RD access works ok.

This is usually a video driver problem on the RDC server. Update your video
drivers with the latest version from the website of the manufacturer.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 5:27:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for all your suggestions. WakeOnLan worked a treat.

Edward
!