The question could be misplaced here. But what would be a better place?

A looong time ago microsoft provided software (like Word for DOS 5.5) that
could run under OS/2 and DOS. If I us this software under Windows today and
display the (FAT32) directory, I'm fine the names are 8.3.

Some - but not all - non-8.3 filenames cause the software to crash. Which
properties of a filename could cause a programme (expecting HPFS?) to crash?

Oskar von dem Hagen

Nothing for Word5.5.

"Oskar von dem Hagen" <OskarvondemHagen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3718235C-31CF-4A1E-8C41-E8CE5534FC88@microsoft.com...
> The question could be misplaced here. But what would be a better place?
>
> A looong time ago microsoft provided software (like Word for DOS 5.5) that
> could run under OS/2 and DOS. If I us this software under Windows today and
> display the (FAT32) directory, I'm fine the names are 8.3.
>
> Some - but not all - non-8.3 filenames cause the software to crash. Which
> properties of a filename could cause a programme (expecting HPFS?) to crash?
>
> Oskar von dem Hagen

It is *not* a question of Word 5.5. It is a Windows problem. Actually it is
slightly misplaced here because the problem is restricted to W2K (and NT?).
In XP the program is run as DOS program under NTVDM and only sees DOS-names.

In W2K the program is executed under \system32\os2.exe. It is the file
handling of OS2.EXE that I am interested in. Why does OS2.EXE stumble over
certain long filenames and not others.

Oskar von dem Hagen

OS/2 was last in NT4. So W2K and XP are the same - both are run in ntvdm. NT4 as configured ran Dos programs in the OS/2 sub system (though one could change it to ntvdm) as it runs Dos programs better than Dos in NT.

You'll need to look up the OS/2 rules. Remember NTFS is neutral. It is the OS that decides the rules. Unix programs can read and write unix names. Dos programs can read and write Dos names, OS/2 programs can read and write OS/2 names, and Windows programs can read and write windows names (and NT programs - native mode programs, like autochk can do what they want I think but they aren't documented so I'm not sure). Most names are read and writable for all OSs because the use A-Z only and are shortish. But the legal name rules are different. If you breech a windows rule in a Unix program then Windows programs can't access the files but unix programs can.

"David Candy" wrote:

> OS/2 was last in NT4. So W2K and XP are the same - both are run in ntvdm.

If you are right, why does W2K have an os2.exe in system32 - and XP not? And
why does Word 5.5 (sorry for such an old example) start os2.exe in W2K and
NTVDM in XP?

Anyway, moved my question to microsoft.public.windows.file_system because it
does not apply to XP.

Thanks.
Oskar von dem Hagen