DATC and DATC Test Case 6.E.15. - page 2

85 answers Last reply
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    Sorry, the Italian orders should be

    Army in Albania to Trieste (and not to Venezia).

    The complete scenario 6 is now given again.

    SCENARIO 6 CORRECTED.

    Scenario 6:
    France:
    Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    Army in Tuscany supports Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    Italy:
    Army in Albania to Trieste.
    Army in Serbia supports Army in Albania to Venezia.
    Fleet in Adriatic Sea supports Army in Albania to Venezia.
    Austria:
    Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    Army in Vienna supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    Army in Budapest supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.

    Nick, if you have any questions about the true
    scenario 6 which I have just set up, please let
    me know.

    Thanks for the correction.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    SCENARIO 6 CORRECTED A SECOND TIME

    Scenario 6:
    France:
    Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    Army in Tuscany supports Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    Italy:
    Army in Albania to Trieste.
    Army in Serbia supports Army in Albania to Trieste.
    Fleet in Adriatic Sea supports Army in Albania to Trieste.
    Austria:
    Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    Army in Vienna supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    Army in Budapest supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.

    Thanks
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    Hi,

    Concerning the sample scenarios given in the year 1976 rule
    book. I've looked them over with not much to report.

    The famous section, IX.7 Dislodgment of a Piece
    Participating in a Standoff, I have already discussed
    with respect to the year 2000, fourth edition rule book
    and concluded there, and agree still, that this section
    neither adds nor subtracts from any substantive
    issues as relates to both the minority and the majority
    view.

    Now that I see the ambiguity within the Year 1976
    rule book, I'll again revisit the year 2000, fourth
    edition rule book and see if it as badly written with
    respect to any substantive issues.

    Keep in mind that there are two ways to see this;
    that is, if we agree that the rules do allow under
    Scenario 5 for the Italians to keep the French out
    of Venezia, then it is because of one or both of the
    following:
    1. This was intended by the rule makers.
    2. This was not intended by the rule makers, but
    by removing the three concepts as I defined them,
    attack, stand-off, and head-to-head, and replacing
    this term with a generic stand-off, any rational
    person might suppose that the Italians could stop
    the French; furthermore, an insufficient number of
    examples were given to clarify the basic rules of
    movement and support.

    There is no reason for me to speculate which of the
    above is true, as that leads to me having to guess
    too much, I think.

    There is an article on the web, referred to above that
    does discuss the rule changes in 1971, and the issue
    now addressed was not one of the rule changes, which
    makes me think that the 1958 rule book rough draft
    is the intent then and now. But, the rule book sure
    isn't helping the minority view justify its position, that's
    for sure.

    Thanks
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    Hi,

    Sorry for the confusion, but these conclusions are wrong.
    Apparently it is easy to get confused with all this stuff!
    My corrections are now given.

    NewsGroupUser wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > It looks in the above two postings I forgot to state a conclusion.
    >
    > For instance, I have said what happens in Scenario 5 above. But what
    > happens if we modify Scenario 5 such that
    > 1. Italy has one additional support making its attack strength of 4
    as
    > it
    > attempts to move from Trieste to Venezia, and
    > 2. A new national power is introduced also attacking into Venezia
    with
    > strength of 4.
    >
    > Are there ambiguities in the rules?
    >
    > Well, in the above modified scenario, we can say again, that this new
    > national power "does not move." And, we can say again that the
    > Italians
    > "do not move."

    Wrong! Sorry folks. What we would say is that the Italians overcome
    the Austrians with a strength of 4 verse 3. Now it is a stand-off
    between
    the Italians and the new, major power, each attacking Venezia with a
    strength of 4. So, it is a stand-off, and the French definitely don't
    move
    in. The standard rules work fine here, there is no ambiguity. Sorry
    for
    the correction.

    The following reasoning is mistaken, see the paragraph I just wrote
    above:

    > But, do the French sneak in? The rule book is ambiguous! Because it
    > did not
    > use three distinct terms, "attack," "stand-off," and "face-to-face",
    > any
    > reasonable person could interpret this in two ways:
    > 1. The French do sneak in, after all, neither the Italians nor that
    > new
    > great power moved.
    Wrong.

    > 2. The French do not sneak in because while it is true that that new
    > great
    > power does not move with respect to the Italians, it is also true
    that
    > the French with respect to this new great power clearly have less
    > support and
    > thus are not allowed to move in. That is, when you say a unit does
    not
    > move,
    > it has to be with respect to every other unit under consideration.
    >
    > So, the later ruling is the most usual.
    The later ruling is the only interpretation using the rules as given
    in the opening paragraph of this revised post.

    > But now the majority view rightly says, "Hey, so why aren't you
    looking
    > independently at the interaction between the Italians and the French
    in
    > our Scenario 5?"
    >
    > They would also say, if the minority view did this, they would also
    > conclude
    > that there is no way the French could take Venezia under scenario 5.
    >
    > And they are absolutely right!

    Sorry, my conclusion is wrong. As stated above, the Italians and the
    Austrians both do not move. There is no relationship to consider
    with the French as they are under no such restriction.

    > The rule book either intended the majority view, or the rule book in
    > condensing
    > its language, inadvertently opened the door to allow the majority
    view
    > rightly claim itself legitimate.
    >
    > My conclusions at this time, based only on the text we have examined
    in
    > this
    > and the previous two articles, is that the rule book blows it big
    time,
    > and
    > is ambiguous.

    My conclusions were faulty as reasoned about above in the new inserted
    text.

    > My next article will look at the sample scenarios the rule book
    offers
    > to see
    > what they add to the discussion. But, there is no doubt in my mind
    > that the
    > primary text defining the rules, allows ambiguity and different
    > interpretation.
    >
    > Thanks
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    Hi,

    Okay, the rule book for 1976 is ambiguous after all! I did
    not have the correct scenario in front of me.

    For the above scenario, the 1976 rules work fine, but they
    fail miserably for this scenario, where any unit in a
    generic stand-off does not move:

    Scenario 7:
    France:
    Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    Italy:
    Army in Apulia to Venezia.
    Army in Tuscany supports Apulia to Venezia.
    Austria:
    Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    Army in Tyrolia supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.

    If we literally follow the 1976 rules, then the Italians
    and the Austrians are in a strength 2 generic stand-off
    over Venezia, and neither unit involved would move.

    So now what happens? Literally following the rule,
    the French would walk into Venezia with a strength of
    only 1, because there is no rule to apply to the French
    saying that they cannot move.

    As far as I know, this seems wrong to me, and probably
    wrong to everybody else. But, technically, we would then
    have to look through all the examples in the rule book and
    see if we found one which would contradict this adjudication.

    Assuming we could find a strong contradiction to this
    adjucation, we can then conclude that the rules are
    ambiguous.

    I will not look for an example contradicting the above
    adjudication right now, but will keep my eyes open
    for it (that is, I certainly don't right off the bat recall
    seeing such a similar scenario in the rule book).

    Thanks
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    Hi,

    The following scenario will be under
    consideration, Scenario 8:

    Scenario 8: Venezia occupied at start of turn.
    France:
    Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    Army in Tuscany supports Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    Italy:
    Army in Trieste to Venezia.
    Army in Roma supports Army in Trieste to Venezia.
    Army in Apulia supports Army in Trieste to Venezia.
    Austria:
    Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    Army in Vienna supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    Army in Budapest supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.

    Let's also throw in Scenario 9 while we are at it:

    Scenario 9: Venezia unoccupied at start of turn.
    France:
    Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    Italy:
    Army in Apulia to Venezia.
    Army in Tuscany supports Apulia to Venezia.
    Austria:
    Army in Trieste to Venezia.
    Army in Tyrolia supports Army in Trieste to Venezia.

    I've just gone over the year 1976 rule book, and it seems to support
    the
    minority viewpoint at the exclusion of the majority viewpoint. Okay, I
    know
    I made some errors in my posts, even saying the opposite, but that
    happens
    when you are on an exploratory journey.

    Just for clarity, then, let's adjudicate both positions above.

    For Scenario 8: The Austrians and the Italians are in an equal
    strength
    generic stand-off and simply don't move; the French have no
    restrictions on
    their movement given the rules, so the French with a strength of 2
    capture
    Venezia and dislodge the Austrians from Venezia.

    For Scenario 9: This could be a shocker, it was to me when I first
    looked at
    it and applied the rules, but here goes: The Austrians and the
    Italians are
    again in a generic stand-off with a strength of 2 and are not allowed
    to move;
    the French, with only a strength of 1 capture Venezia. It's a mind
    blower,
    but appears consistent with the rules.

    Okay, let's repair a few of my previously inaccurate posts and consider
    few side-variants for scenario 8.

    Scenario 8 modified only as follows:
    1. A new major power is introduced attacking Venezia with a strength
    of 2.

    As before, the Italians and the Austrians simply do not move in their
    generic
    stand-off. Another stand-off of strength 2 occurs between the French
    and this
    new, major power. Conclusion: no units move.

    Scenario 8 modified only as follows:
    1. The Italians now have one additional support for their attack into
    Venezia making their attack strength now 4.

    There is no stand-off of any kind, the Italians having the strongest
    force
    move into Venezia and dislodge the Austrians.

    Scenario 8 modified only as follows:
    1. A new major power is introduced attacking Venezia with a strength
    of 3.

    As before, the Italians and the Austrians do not move by the rule
    because they
    are clearly involved in a generic stand-off. The new major power
    clearly
    beats out Frances meager attack strength of 2, therefore, the new major
    power
    captures Venezia and dislodges the Austrians from Venezia.

    Scenario 8 modified only as follows:
    1. The Italians now have one additional suport for their attack into
    Venezia making their attack strength now 4.
    2. A new major power is introduced attacking Venezia with a strength
    of 4.

    The Austrian counter-attack of strength 3 does not equal 4 which is the
    strength
    of the Italian attack, so at this stage, those Italians can still
    legally move.
    But then we find that there is a generic stand-off between the Italians
    attacking with a strength of 4 and this new major power attacking with
    strength of 4, thus, by the rule, neither the Italians nor this new
    major power
    are allowed to move. The only player who can move is France, and it
    legally
    over-whelmes Venezia with its lower-rated strength of 2 and dislodges
    the
    Austrians from Venezia.

    Okay, so the above is how I interpret the 1976 rules. Now that I have
    clarified some of my previous posts, my next article will explore to
    see if
    the year 2000, fourth edition rule book changes my holding of the
    minority
    opinion.

    Thanks
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    You can't do this, because you have to do the conceptualizing
    of the algorithm first. As I said, you don't understand the
    use of the word algorithm.... think of the word equation.
    You need to have a general way of writing a single equation
    for each unit, that encompasses ALL of the possible things
    that it could do, and how it could be adjudicated given ONE
    single move. But I don't think we'll get anywhere this way,
    you don't seem to have enough Mathematics or Computer Science
    background and if I speak more precisely I'll just confuse
    you worse.

    Hi Jim,

    Thanks for the explanation. Please feel free to
    elaborate, I enjoyed reading your discussion. There
    is nothing wrong with me being confused
    while I'm learning.

    Thanks
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    Hi Jim,

    Good point. As I have been studying, I have come to learn
    that there is not difference in how you define the generic
    stand-off, whether it be an attack against a defending unit,
    a head-to-head battle, or a stand-off.

    Your other views are very important also:
    It is important what I said in the
    other note, that the Calhamerian views of the game are NOT
    worried much about the mechanics of move ordering, except
    that they be proper and consistent. The key is the Diplomacy
    and the balance of power.

    So, I'm pretty sure that when I play, I'll be playing
    the "simple version," and that being that any unit
    involved in any kind of generic stand-off does not move.
    And, I can do this knowing that it meets the one
    minimum requirement: it is a consistent rule.

    Thanks for your fresh-air idea, I think it gives everyone
    a context within which to play the game, even if their
    exact take may not match exactly some other persons.

    Thanks
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    Hi Randy,

    You have been very kind and patient with me.

    I guess the next interesting topic, if you will, is
    why you all see it so differently than I do. What is
    it specifically that makes our interpretation so
    different?

    I don't want to wear out my welcome here. I have
    had fun exploring the rules. Albeit, it appears that
    everyone thinks I have been exploring them incorrectly.
    I accept that. But it has still been fun. Now, it would
    be nice if we could actually figure out what we are
    reading that makes us interpret it differently.

    I will return, but let me rest a bit so that I don't quickly
    wear out my welcome. When I come back, I
    will focus on your posts exclusively, and the goal is
    not necessarily that one convince the other of any
    particular idea, but to understand why one interprets it as
    they do. Unfortunately, which may not reflect well on
    my IQ, English is my first language.

    Everyone who speaks here, even if indirectly, pretty
    much agrees with you: my interpretation is wrong;
    at least, that is my current understanding, but if
    anyone has said differently, I apologize.

    Again, you've been a good, honest guide. Through
    you, eventually, I may actually hold your beliefs about
    the rules.

    Thanks again, and my next posting, which will be about
    a week or so, I will specifically address your responses
    to my posts. Again, the objective is to focus on what
    I can't see, that you all see; that is, I will try to be in
    the role of student, who before venturing off making
    up his own rules, should at least understand why
    everyone else clearly and strongly believes in a
    different set of rules.

    This thread has become sloppy to the extent that it
    has been an exploration. But, my last posting, while
    it may reflect an incorrect reading of the rules, at least,
    I hope, is consistent. And, it will allow me to play my
    first Diplomacy game too.

    Thanks again!

    Randy Hudson wrote:
    > In article <1106860907.999798.172200@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    > NewsGroupUser <Google2007@mailinator.com> wrote:
    >
    > > The most important aspect of the 1976 rule book is that if a unit
    is
    > > involved in any kind of generic stand-off, whether you want to call
    it an
    > > equal strength head-to-head battle of units in adjacent provinces,
    or a
    > > stand-off of a province that the attacking units are not currently
    in, or
    > > an attack upon a province which is occupied and defends itself
    equally,
    > > the major point is that these units so involved simply do not move.
    > >
    > > So, if two powers are in a stand-off over a province that neither
    > > currently occupies, and they are both attacking this province with
    > > strength of 3, then neither moves, and if there is another attacker
    with
    > > just a force of 1, that other attacker will enter the province. At
    least
    > > that is how I read the 1976 rule book.
    >
    > Sigh.
    >
    > Perhaps English isn't the language in which you're most comfortable.
    But
    > you seem to be translating the rules, somehow, into saying something
    > different than what they actually say.
    >
    > You seem to restate rules as meaning something different than what
    they say,
    > note that the restatement is ambiguous, and then conclude the rules
    are
    > ambiguous. When you reach that point, you then have to go back and
    see
    > whether it was your restatement that introduced the ambiguity. In
    these
    > cases it was.
    >
    > Despite dozens of paragraphs of mixed-line-length, difficult-to-read
    > reassertions of your own beliefs, you have not bothered to actually
    respond
    > to what I've written.
    >
    > Units which fail to move, fail to move. They aren't "converted to
    hold";
    > and, with only one exception, they continue to have effect on the
    space
    > where they attempted their move.
    >
    > The one exception is if they were dislodged by a unit moving from
    that
    > space. In that case, there is a rule which explicitly states that:
    IX.7,
    > Dislodgement of a Piece Participating in a Standoff. There, the
    author
    > points out that the rules state what you deny they state, and then
    creates
    > an exception:
    >
    > | It follows from the above rules that, where two or more equally
    > | well supported units are ordered to the same space, neither may
    move...
    > | however, if ... one of them is dislodged by a unit coming from
    that
    > | space, then the other unit may move... a dislodged unit has no
    effect
    > | on the space its attacker came from.
    >
    > In your view, the last clause should have simply said "a unit which
    fails to
    > move has no effect." But that's not what the rules say.
    >
    > > The main effect of this rule, wherein any unit involved in any kind
    of
    > > generic stand-off doesn't move, is that the game becomes much
    simpler!
    > > Quite a few of the scenarios in the DATC would then be considered
    faulty.

    > I believe that rules variant would be unplayable, because of frequent
    > adjudication paradoxes, where there were multiple possible outcomes
    from a
    > particular order set depending on what order one converted bounced
    moves to
    > holds. At any rate, that is not what the rules currently say.
    >
    > > But, let's focus on some important points here. If a unit can not
    move,
    > > it can not possibly appose any other unit.
    >
    > Why not? You keep asserting this, without any support or evidence,
    and you
    > dismiss all the evidence to the contrary as "the rules are
    ambiguous." The
    > rules are clear that "does not move" and "has no effect" are two
    distinct
    > concepts; they are explicitly contrasted in rule IX.7, quoted above.
    (The
    > other case where a unit has no effect is when its convoy is
    disrupted, rule
    > XII.3: "...the army to be convoyed remains in its original province
    and has
    > no effect on the province to which it was ordered." Again, the two
    concepts
    > are kept distinct.)
    >
    > --
    > Randy Hudson
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    Hi Randy and Jim Burgess,

    Randy, as I said somewhere early on in this post, I'd love
    to hear from someone in the know about the rules. Maybe
    Jim did speak out about them, and if so, let's assume that
    I did not initially understand. Keep in mind that posts don't
    show up her in temporal order, but are nested by how
    people responded to which sub-topic.

    Here is what Jim wrote in one post:

    -----------------------------
    Those of us who know and
    talk to Allan Calhamer have some conception of the process of rule
    definement and his views. It is important what I said in the
    other note, that the Calhamerian views of the game are NOT
    worried much about the mechanics of move ordering, except
    that they be proper and consistent. The key is the Diplomacy
    and the balance of power.
    -----------------------------

    If Jim Burgess is in the know, can you, Jim, comment on
    this directly? As far as the year 2000, fourth edition rule
    book goes, can you set me straight and say, for instance,
    "your interpretation that any unit involved in a stand-off
    doesn't move and has no effect on the province it
    attempted to move to is basically wrong." And, "Randy
    is basically right."

    Then I will know from an inside, person in the know, what
    that inside view is. Or maybe there is no "inside" view,
    just consistency. I guess another way of saying it is
    this, is there such a thing as a main-stream way of
    playing that was intended by the year 2000, fourth
    edition rules, and if so, am I basically interpreting it incorrectly?

    My general impression is that, in advance,the answer
    will be that I'm not interpreting it correctly. Then the
    next question is this, by using the scenarios and
    outcomes as shown by DATC, which presumably
    Randy agrees with, is this the correct way as
    intended by the year 2000, fourth edition rule book?

    Once we get an insider view, then how I interpret the
    rules does, one must conclude, seem rather
    irrelevant, perhaps.

    Thanks
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    In message <1106842097.394823.28020@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    NewsGroupUser <Google2007@mailinator.com> writes

    >However, compare this to a slightly modified scenario, Scenario 6:
    >Scenario 6:
    >France:
    >Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    >Army in Tuscany supports Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    >Italy:
    >Army in Albania to Venezia.
    >Army in Serbia supports Army in Albania to Venezia.
    >Fleet in Adriatic Sea supports Army in Albania to Venezia.
    >Austria:
    >Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    >Army in Vienna supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    >Army in Budapest supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    >
    >Instead of having a face-to-face battle of equal strength, now we have
    >stand-off (of equal strength) in Trieste. Note that the Italians
    >certainly
    >do not protect the Austrians' rear in Venezia, and that the French do
    >indeed
    >attack and conquer Venezia in scenario 6.

    Albania, and Serbia, do not border Venezia, so two of these orders are
    invalid. I assume that this is a simple error. In what follows I shall
    assume that all the orders were valid, and that Albania and Serbia do
    somehow border Venezia.

    Even so, I do not understand your interpretation at all. Why should
    there be a stand-off in Trieste, when only one unit is trying to move
    there?

    Here is my adjudication.
    The army in Venezia goes, unopposed, to Trieste.
    The army in Albania goes to Venezia, as it has more force than the army
    in Piemonte.
    The army in Piemonte stays where it is.

    Nick
    --
    Nick Wedd nick@maproom.co.uk
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    Jim Burgess wrote:
> [...]
    incorrectly?

    > >My general impression is that, in advance,the answer
    > >will be that I'm not interpreting it correctly. Then the
    > >next question is this, by using the scenarios and
    > >outcomes as shown by DATC, which presumably
    > >Randy agrees with, is this the correct way as
    > >intended by the year 2000, fourth edition rule book?
    >
    > >Once we get an insider view, then how I interpret the
    > >rules does, one must conclude, seem rather
    > >irrelevant, perhaps.
    >
    > >Thanks
    >
    > Again, don't try to slide "minority/majority" to "insider/outsider".
    > It isn't helping. There are tens of thousands of Diplomacy players
    > worldwide and we all play the game almost entirely the same way
    > as far as adjudication goes. Every once in a while we find a
    > small hobby sub-group that plays with some strange rule

    Hi Randy and Jim,

    Randy, I'd say that Jim's comments about sum it up.
    I see no reason at this stage to comment on your
    follow-ups. You all play the game almost entirely
    the same way as far as adjudication, and I understand
    the mechanics of this adjucation process, so I don't
    at this time have a question about that.

    In a sense, if I may, hopefully accurately, interpret
    Jim's comments:
    > But still, the key point is that A.B.C. almost
    > never writes about these kinds of finer points except to say
    > that he tried to get all the consistency stuff worked out so
    > they could get on with the Diplomacy

    is that based upon the above paragraph, your saying
    that the "finer points" may actually be undefined or
    perhaps even ambiguous,
    but what is important from a practical point of view
    is that everyone plays by the same rules.

    If it be so that the "finer points" are perhaps undefined
    and perhaps even ambiguous, then perhaps there is
    hope for my IQ after all, in that my interpretation was
    perhaps at least possible, it just is not the way that
    the game is played.

    As far as I'm concerned, you gentlemen have answered
    my questions sufficiently, and I appreciate your time.

    Thank again.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    "NewsGroupUser" <Google2007@mailinator.com> writes:

    >Jim Burgess wrote:

    >> >Hi Jim,
    >>
    >> >I think I have a related question. Let us assume that the
    >> >purest adjudication algorithm has not yet been implemented.
    >> >Can you adjudicate Scenario 1 in this thread the way the
    >> >purest adjudication algorithm would? Or would this not be
    >> >possible without first constructing the purest adjudication
    >> >algorithm?
    >>
    >> I'm not sure you understand the use of the word algorithm,
    >> in this case it is the same as an adjudication for a unit.
    >> And I can't because you don't have the whole board in your
    >> example.
    >>
    >> Jim-Bob

    >Hi Jim,

    >Here is Scenario 3, it is given a different name to differentiate
    >it from Scenarios 1 and 2 which have been discussed in this
    >thread (even though Scenario 3 may seem identical or very similar
    >to Scenarios 1 and 2).

    >Scenario 3:
    >France:
    >Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    >Army in Tuscany supports Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    >Italy:
    >Army in Trieste to Venezia.
    >Army in Roma supports Army in Trieste to Venezia.
    >Army in Apulia supports Army in Trieste to Venezia.
    >Austria:
    >Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    >Army in Vienna supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    >Army in Budapest supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.

    >That is the core scenario consisting of 8 units. That leaves
    >34 - 8 or 26 units that are not in the scenario. Assume
    >that for whatever reasons, the major powers decided not
    >to build these units when they had the opportunity in the
    >past to do so. So, only these 8 units are on the board.
    >However, if your algorithm will not work unless all 34 units
    >are on the field, assume the remaining 26 units are French
    >where they all have hold orders and 19 of them are fleets
    >in water provinces, and the remaining 26 - 19 or 7 French
    >units are holding as Fleets in Constantinople, Ankara,
    >Armenia, Smyrna, Syria, Tunisia, and North Africa.

    I don't actually have an algorithm since I'm setting up
    a straw man, I don't think that's actually the way to do it,
    but if I did, there would be a system of 8 algorithms, one
    for each unit that you would want to be able to solve
    uniquely for a single adjudication for all 8 units.

    >Assume it is either a Spring or Fall turn, but if it matters to
    >the algorithm which it is, assume it is a Spring turn.

    It doesn't matter.

    >Jim, please adjudicate this position as your purest algorithm
    >(as described previously) would, and let us know the results.

    You can't do this, because you have to do the conceptualizing
    of the algorithm first. As I said, you don't understand the
    use of the word algorithm.... think of the word equation.
    You need to have a general way of writing a single equation
    for each unit, that encompasses ALL of the possible things
    that it could do, and how it could be adjudicated given ONE
    single move. But I don't think we'll get anywhere this way,
    you don't seem to have enough Mathematics or Computer Science
    background and if I speak more precisely I'll just confuse
    you worse.

    >Thanks

    simultaneous movement means simultaneous movement. You
    consider ALL the moves together and have ONE outcome
    for each unit that is unique. That's an adjudication.

    Jim-Bob
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    "NewsGroupUser" <Google2007@mailinator.com> writes:

    >Hi Nick,

    >Sometimes I may say, "I believe," but I usually like to use the term
    >minority view
    >and majority view.

    Why? There is zero evidence to label them and you're just trolling.
    I won't respond any more to any message that uses those terms,
    speaking for myself. I'm not upset at you, there just is no
    reason to use incorrect language and start arguing about what
    is a majority and minority view.

    Jim-Bob

    >The minority view holds as you have written, that:
    >that in Scenario 4 the
    >French army moving with a strength of two gets in to Venezia, while the

    >Italian army moving with a strength of three fails to get in to
    >Venezia.

    >That is the minority view. In my previous articles in this thread,
    >thanks to
    >Randy offering kind suggestions (although Randy does not agree with the
    >minority view), I have attempted to address what rule or rules bear on
    >this topic and how one specific rule may be misinterpreted.

    >So, I will give my thinking, but not repeat all the gory details that I
    >have
    >already written about today and yesterday:

    >The Italians attacking from Trieste into Venezia meet or stand-off
    >with the Austrians attacking from Venezia into Trieste. This is a
    >stand-off and no units move that are involved in this stand-off.
    >This is a rule.

    >Now, this rule can be inacted on the eastern sector of the board,
    >while another rule can be active on the western sector of the board
    >as concerns the French invasion of Venezia. The French are not
    >in a stand-off, they function under the different rule wherein the
    >French
    >attack from Piemonte to Venezia with a strength of 2 and overwhelm
    >and dislodge the Austrians who attempted to hold in Venezia only
    >with a strength of 1.

    >I have attempted in my previous posts to explain how this type of
    >reasoning could be seen to exist within the rules. Though, it is
    >more accurate to say that I went on an exploration, and now that
    >I have gone on this exploration, I still hold the minority viewpoint.

    >But, your remarks and discussion on this point are more than
    >welcome. The more views and discussion, the better, I would
    >think.

    >Thanks
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    Nick Wedd <nick@maproom.co.uk> writes:

    >In message <1106781554.184616.172380@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    >NewsGroupUser <Google2007@mailinator.com> writes
    >>Hi Nick,
    >>
    >>I just wrote an article in this thread that addresses your very concern
    >>it deals with the year 2000, fourth edition rule book, Diagram 25 on
    >>page 14; read it, and report back here. The issue that the minority
    >>view is saying is this:
    >>two units of equal strength mutually attacking themselves from
    >>neighboring provinces have no effect what so ever, they lose
    >>their move if you all, on the province they are attacking.

    >I understand that you believe the above three lines. I do not accept
    >them myself. For one thing, I do not believe that units can attack
    >"themselves", or other units; what units do is attempt to move to
    >provinces.

    This is most definitely correct. For those reading along who haven't
    been through this before, it generally does NOT help you in any way
    whatsoever to think of units on a diplomacy board as armies and
    fleets at war attacking each other. It is an abstract representation
    of expressing influence and trying to do something, move to
    a province or influence a move of another unit to a province,
    according to a set of foreordained constrictions called rules.
    A move is an attempt to move from one place to another, there is
    no intent, there is no presumption of battle, there only is a
    move from one place to another. An adjudication for THAT unit
    must resolve (a) is the move successful and (b) if not, is the
    unit dislodged from the place where it was. The default is that
    the unit remains where it was.

    Jim-Bob

    >Nick
    >--
    >Nick Wedd nick@maproom.co.uk
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    Nick Wedd <nick@maproom.co.uk> writes:

    >In message <1106842097.394823.28020@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    >NewsGroupUser <Google2007@mailinator.com> writes

    >>However, compare this to a slightly modified scenario, Scenario 6:
    >>Scenario 6:
    >>France:
    >>Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    >>Army in Tuscany supports Army in Piemonte to Venezia.
    >>Italy:
    >>Army in Albania to Venezia.
    >>Army in Serbia supports Army in Albania to Venezia.
    >>Fleet in Adriatic Sea supports Army in Albania to Venezia.
    >>Austria:
    >>Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    >>Army in Vienna supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    >>Army in Budapest supports Army in Venezia to Trieste.
    >>
    >>Instead of having a face-to-face battle of equal strength, now we have
    >>stand-off (of equal strength) in Trieste. Note that the Italians
    >>certainly
    >>do not protect the Austrians' rear in Venezia, and that the French do
    >>indeed
    >>attack and conquer Venezia in scenario 6.

    >Albania, and Serbia, do not border Venezia, so two of these orders are
    >invalid. I assume that this is a simple error. In what follows I shall
    >assume that all the orders were valid, and that Albania and Serbia do
    >somehow border Venezia.

    >Even so, I do not understand your interpretation at all. Why should
    >there be a stand-off in Trieste, when only one unit is trying to move
    >there?

    >Here is my adjudication.
    >The army in Venezia goes, unopposed, to Trieste.
    >The army in Albania goes to Venezia, as it has more force than the army
    >in Piemonte.
    >The army in Piemonte stays where it is.

    >Nick

    Thanks, Nick, it is that simple. This trying to distinguish standoffs
    from face-to-face battles is not helpful, which is why it doesn't
    appear in recent versions of the rules. Those of us who know and
    talk to Allan Calhamer have some conception of the process of rule
    definement and his views. It is important what I said in the
    other note, that the Calhamerian views of the game are NOT
    worried much about the mechanics of move ordering, except
    that they be proper and consistent. The key is the Diplomacy
    and the balance of power.

    Jim-Bob
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.diplomacy (More info?)

    Hi Randy,