Sign in with
Your question

new laptop help (3000$ max budget)

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
September 23, 2008 9:20:21 PM

Hi, I'd like some help with a new laptop. I was considering a macbook pro since it's rumored they are gonna be update soon but I can't really wait anymore.

1_What is your budget?

2000$ - 3000$

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

17in minimum

3_What screen resolution do you want?

1920x1200 for 17in

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?

don't really know. The more the better i guess. I'll say 4-5hours.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

not really. I'd like to be able to play starcraft2 and diablo3 whenever/if they get release but other than that i don't think I'll play much. Spore maybe, on medium-high?

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
I need it to program, (c++, c#, java) and to use flash cs4 and illustrator.
Maybe some video editing
web, music and movies also...

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
around 250go

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
not really, but I live in canada

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
about 4-5 years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.

I can invest a high budget on that one (3000$) so I'd like a great laptop that I can keep for a long time. I don't think I need a blu-ray player though... Is there really any use except watching hd movie on a 17in screen?

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

thats the basic problem, I dont really know anything about any laptop brand

13_What country do you live in?

canada

More about : laptop 3000 max budget

a b D Laptop
September 24, 2008 4:16:06 AM

I strongly suggest you do not buy a macbook pro. You'll spend twice the cash and get half the power of a corresponding PC.

You're not an extreme gamer, but you want performance. A low config of the Sager NP5796 is my suggestion. With your screen requirements, you're knocking out a lot of competitors.

The only problem is your battery life. 4-5 hours and 17" screen is pretty much impossible on a single battery. I would put 3 hours as the cap on any 17" notebook.
September 25, 2008 1:13:43 AM

hey thanks for the infos!
I'll look into that.
!