Possible HD problems. At the end of the rope here.

muninn

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Hello,
Lately I have been going nuts trying to identify a problem that is totally messing up my computer.
I will start from the beginning:
Certain time ago, I have been getting graphical glitches at the boot. Garbled screen and such as soon as i start the computer. After few resets it used to go away once it gets to windows. Once running windows I have no problems. At restarts as well... Only happened when I tried to boot after turning my computer off.
Then real problems started:
when booting windows I used to get an error messege <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe cant be found (or such)
Again, after few reboots/retries, it used to go away.
Few weeks later I get a blue screen of death during the boot, talking about software/hardware incompatibility.
couldnt start windows in safe mode or otherwise. No new hardware or software was installed prior to that.
Thinking that it might be the HD crapping out on me, and trying to salvage any data I could I bought Seagate 120 GB Barracuda HD. Installed windows on it, updated etc. (same graphical stuff at the boot)Next time I try to boot, it takes a loooong time to find the drive, and my HD is making a really weird, repeated noise, kinda like... "err, err, err" (dont know how to describe). Eventually it boots and works fine then. A week later i am faced with the same system32 error followed later on by a blue screen of death. Cant load win again.
slow startup and weird noises - I think its a mechanical defect. Replace the drive at the store, install windows again etc. Next boot - system32 error. No huge detection times or weird noises this time. Once I get to windows, run the diagnostic on the HD and it shows up fine.

I have no clue where the problems are. I have cleaned the computer of dust. Reseated all the components, checked and replaced IDE cables. Im going nuts.

my specs :
win XP prof.
Asus a7n8x deluxe
Ati Radeon 9800
M-Audio Audiophile 24/96
500megs of Ram (cant think of it specs off the top of my head)
Plextor DVD burner.

Please help me because me and everyone I know are stumped.
If its in the wrong forum, please let me know.

-Maciej

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Here's a wild guess - SWE IDE chipset drivers. Your mobo's got the nForce chipset right?

I've heard of problems with those chipset drivers, some say the newer one's are better. Don't know which version u got, nor really what the problems look like. But you might look into it.

The solution is reported to be rolling back to the MS standard IDE drivers.

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE