My XP crashes allways for following reason

Anthony77

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
Hi

My newly installed WindowsXP seems to crash pretty much. I have tried removing second RAM-chip from my computer (I had 2 of them, one was brand 'Green-memory' and another some american company starting with S..:p) since I heard the reason can be my RAM is not working together with different RAM producer. But no GO, my system still halts and restarts.

But I managed to track this error from System log, and seems XP crashes allways for same reason, which is this :

------------------------------
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
----------------------------

Can someone help me out here, I have had hard time localizing the error. Is this because of RAM memory or something else?

My system :
AMD Thunderbird 1.2GHz (non overclocked)
Hercules Radeon 8500LE (non overclocked)
IBM Deskstar
Plextor CD-drive
Hitatchi DVD-drive

I set my bios in "Optimized defaults", but this didnt work either.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
How about just regular defaults for bios?

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
<A HREF="http://ryanw.kicks-ass.net:8080" target="_new">Homepage</A>

rikitiki

Distinguished
May 22, 2002
IF my memory does not fail: IO port 0x70 its used by motherboard chips to control ACPI or to do Board monitoring (not sure wich one does), but IO ports (address) are diferent from ram address, IO port are read/write address used to comunicate the system (proc) to the hardware like sound card, video cards, what ever.. it has nothing to do with memory.

now this sounds as a ACPI trouble. meaning bad bios set up, or bad drivers (not in this one, unless u are using board monitoring software), or bad XP set up (kind of drivers tho) device manager/type of pc.

So i recomend u to pay attention to your bios set up; mostly all ACPI or power saving options. and winXP set up. and of course check if your bios its WinXP compatible.

Now: one option its to disable all the ACPI and power savings options on bios, and change the type of PC in the device manager, from ACPI to standard. or do all backwards (bios and XP) , i dont use ACPI so i always turn off all of that.

read the "Installing ACPI Support" thread before this one to learn some more about it.

P.S. another 2 cents here: when u describe your system always put your motherboard name-brand-model on it, motherboards are just way important to leave unmentioned.
Cos everything its allways sooner or later attached to it!.

G

what is your motherboard?

<i>if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy ...</i>