_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
So... some components, drives and PCI controllers I believe, recommend not going over 18" in cable length. Is there a performance penalty or some other major danger to increasing some of these to 24"?

It would sure make for an easier routing configuration in my case. The way it is now, I have two flat cables stretched almost tight in front of my CPU fans...I'd like to get a pair of 24" round cables to go from the PCI card to the HDD drives and DVD-RW and have a little extra to route them around the airflow path.

....WW (4.0)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The faster the transfer, the more easily corrupted. The longer the cable, the weaker the signal. You can see how that could limit cable length, especially with high speed transfer.

24" is probably fine for optical drives, but too long for hard drives.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Have to agree with Crashman. But if you think about a computer case, your hard drives are 3.5 inch, which normally are located right near the motherboard connectors. Therefore you would only need 18" max. As for optical drives, which are located farther away, 24" is not a concern due to the transfer speeds. I really need to get some round cables myself.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Actually my case is a Chenbro SR104 Medium Tower. The HDD cage is located above the motherboard, alongside the PSU. The PSU is tilted on its side and the cage is next to it...directly opposite the optical bays. The cables from the mobo are fine, however I have two channels on a PCI controller that need to go around the monster graphics card, clear the bracket mounted fans for the Zalman CPU heat sink and still make it up to the HDD cage. 18" will make it, but they are stretched pretty tight across the fans. Maybe I can find some round cables in 20" lengths...:)

....WW (4.0)