Contents of Word file disappeared

A colleague who never uses his dial-up account on his new Dell laptop, had
typed in 32 pages in a Microsoft Word file. He saved his work about twice on
every page he typed. Yesterday he switched on his computer, opened the same
Word file and began typing material on the 32nd page. Suddenly the words all
disappeared and he found himself staring at a Word file totally devoid of
input. And it had gone down to being only one single page. We searched his
relatively few files and folders but could not find any copy of the file. The
filename is still listed in My Documents: the odd thing is that when one
places the cursor over the filename, it indicates that the file contains 23.5
kb of material.

We dialled up, downloaded Google and then Google Desktop, but nowhere could
we find any of the material. I do not know if this is an XP question, and it
is something outside my experience. I would be grateful if anyone with some
knowledge of this sort of problem could please advise.
--
Neil UK
4 answers Last reply

    You may wish to visit the Word newsgroup and repost your question:

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Neil UK wrote:
    > A colleague who never uses his dial-up account on his new Dell
    > laptop, had typed in 32 pages in a Microsoft Word file. He saved his
    > work about twice on every page he typed. Yesterday he switched on his
    > computer, opened the same Word file and began typing material on the
    > 32nd page. Suddenly the words all disappeared and he found himself
    > staring at a Word file totally devoid of input. And it had gone down
    > to being only one single page. We searched his relatively few files
    > and folders but could not find any copy of the file. The filename is
    > still listed in My Documents: the odd thing is that when one places
    > the cursor over the filename, it indicates that the file contains
    > 23.5 kb of material.
    >
    > We dialled up, downloaded Google and then Google Desktop, but nowhere
    > could we find any of the material. I do not know if this is an XP
    > question, and it is something outside my experience. I would be
    > grateful if anyone with some knowledge of this sort of problem could
    > please advise.

    This is not just a Word problem, but can happen in any application if
    the user's palm on the laptop touchpad causes erroneous mouse actions.
    It is possible to invoke a single, double, or triple click
    inadvertently. Many typists report the cursor jumping, entire text
    blocks selected and deleted, and just about anything else injurious to
    the health of the document. The solution is to place the hands in a way
    that they are clear of the touchpad, or if the design does not allow
    this, disable the touchpad or the tapping function and use a mouse.

    "Neil UK" <NeilUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > A colleague who never uses his dial-up account on his new Dell laptop, had
    > typed in 32 pages in a Microsoft Word file. He saved his work about twice
    on
    > every page he typed. Yesterday he switched on his computer, opened the
    same
    > Word file and began typing material on the 32nd page. Suddenly the words
    all
    > disappeared

    That can happen if you accidentally "Select All" text (CTRL+A) and type a
    character. It replaces the selected text with a single character.

    > ..the odd thing is that when one
    > places the cursor over the filename, it indicates that the file contains
    23.5
    > kb of material.

    Even a blank word document can report 20kb to explorer.

    What he should have done is to hit undo as soon as he realised something had
    happened.

    In future he should save seperate copies.... File -> save as -> Ver1, Ver2
    etc rather than using just File -> Save. The latter overwrites the same file
    each time and is more dangerous.

    CWatters wrote:
    > "Neil UK" <NeilUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>A colleague who never uses his dial-up account on his new Dell laptop, had
    >>typed in 32 pages in a Microsoft Word file. He saved his work about twice
    >
    > on
    >
    >>every page he typed. Yesterday he switched on his computer, opened the
    >
    > same
    >
    >>Word file and began typing material on the 32nd page. Suddenly the words
    >
    > all
    >
    >>disappeared
    >

    > That can happen if you accidentally "Select All" text (CTRL+A) and type a
    > character. It replaces the selected text with a single character.
    >

    >>..the odd thing is that when one
    >>places the cursor over the filename, it indicates that the file contains
    >
    > 23.5
    >
    >>kb of material.
    >

    > Even a blank word document can report 20kb to explorer.
    >
    > What he should have done is to hit undo as soon as he realised something had
    > happened.
    >
    > In future he should save seperate copies.... File -> save as -> Ver1, Ver2
    > etc rather than using just File -> Save. The latter overwrites the same file
    > each time and is more dangerous.

    Word has a feature that allows you to "Always create backup copy." To
    activate it, in Word choose "Tools > Options", then click the "Save" tab
    and make sure the "Always create backup copy" check box has a check mark
    in it. Then click OK. Now, each time you save your document, Word will
    save the old copy of your file before saving the new copy each time you
    issue the "Save" command.

    Let me know how this works.

    Brandon Taylor

Dial Up Connection Windows XP