Converting VHS Tapes to DVD!

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I recently purchased the Plextor 708A DVD-RW. I now want to convert my old VHS tapes to DVD. I was looking at the Adaptec VideOh! PCI card. It was $115 on computers4sure. Has anyone used this product, or have any input on which devices work good? Here is my system:

Athlon XP 2400+
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Corsair 512 MB DDR400
GeForce 4 Ti4200
Western Digital 80 GB w/8MB
Seagate 20 GB
Plextor 708A DVD-RW
Plextor 48x24x48
Antec 1080 AMG Case w/430 watt

<A HREF="http://www26.brinkster.com/amdgamer1/main.html" target="_new">http://www26.brinkster.com/amdgamer1/main.html</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most VHS tapes can't really produce better quality than standard VCD, which is low resolution. Most cheap capture cards can capture low resolution smoothly.

On the upside, you can fit an hour of VCD on a CD, you might not need the expensive DVD media.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Well, I already have the DVD burner and the media. I don't want to go VCD, because I have had issues with set-top boxes and VCD's. I want to stick with DVD. I know I am not going to get better quality because VHS tapes don't have the same quality as DVD. From a Maximum PC article, I can get around 2 hours of VHS tape on a DVD. This is a medium quality setting where you get 1 VHS tape= 1 DVD. Will any capture card work? The Adaptec VideOh PCI card has audio and video inputs, so I want need any converters from RCA to 1/8 jack for audio. My only question is, has anybody used this card, or have any input on cards that work well?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've never tried that particular card. When I'm comparison shopping I usually jump from the cheap cards to the expensive ones without much consideration for those in the middle. Hardware encoding tuner cards with A/V inputs start at around $100, while software encoding versions start at around $15. I can't see paying for added features on $50-$100 software cards. Hauppauge has some nice cards you might want to look at.

Oh, and I can't see paying a bunch of money for an A/V input card when a tuner card with A/V input and similar hardware goes for around the same price.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>