Need help running old dos game

I suddenly have the urge to start playing Microsoft Space Simualtor...and old
DOS game that allowed you to explore the cosmos. However it wont run in
XP...since it really doesnt have a dos component. Does anyone know how I can
get old dos games running in XP? So far ive come across the following options:

1. Install MS-DOS 7.0 on my comp. However, that would require a new HDD
partition, which would make me have to format, which i really dont want to do.

2. Use a DOS emulator. This looks like the most promising option, but i cant
seem to get any of them to work. Basically im not sure how to install and use
one.

Any suggestions?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

XP has Compatibility Mode - trying running it from there.

"KingofGCN" <KingofGCN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I suddenly have the urge to start playing Microsoft Space Simualtor...and
>old
> DOS game that allowed you to explore the cosmos. However it wont run in
> XP...since it really doesnt have a dos component. Does anyone know how I
> can
> get old dos games running in XP? So far ive come across the following
>
> 1. Install MS-DOS 7.0 on my comp. However, that would require a new HDD
> partition, which would make me have to format, which i really dont want to
> do.
>
> 2. Use a DOS emulator. This looks like the most promising option, but i
> cant
> seem to get any of them to work. Basically im not sure how to install and
> use
> one.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi King,

When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available.

With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.

If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/faq.php and
http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :)

--