Info on New LCD monitor

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi guys,

I will be purchasing a new desktop pc. I want a got flat screen lcd monitor. So i needed some advice as to which one is good.

I would be using my desktop pc for programming and games. I am interested in 19" monitors.

My budget would be upto $400. (a bit +/-)

which one would you recommend??? Moreover among Sony,Samsung and Hyundai which one tops.

Thanks,
JG

Anchoku

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
I prefer Sony because they often have a few extra details which you pay a little extra for.

Download the product specifications and really examine things like inputs, resolutions and timings supported, calibration features for the OSD and luminance (dimming) range.

Sometimes, an extra bit of money will buy a feature your old CRT had and you don't expect an LCD would ship without.

travbomb

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Take a look at either the NEC 90GX2 currently 399.99 which has a super bright screen very similar to sony's ultra bright. Or the 1970Gx which is only 289.99 at CDW right now which also has this super bright screen. Both of these are very good gaming monitors.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi,

After research I have purchased Hyundai 90D+ TFT monitor. Its good and has a response time of 8ms. I checked specifications of that monitor with sony's and most specs r the same. So why pay a little extra just for brank name.

JG

travbomb

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Hi,

After research I have purchased Hyundai 90D+ TFT monitor. Its good and has a response time of 8ms. I checked specifications of that monitor with sony's and most specs r the same. So why pay a little extra just for brank name.

JG
What did you buy?? I work in the monitor industry and I have never even heard of it. Good luck with that. I am sure they just buy it from some other no name anyway. Where did you find this monitor in the US anyway??

I am sure you will figure out why you should by well known brands after a short period of time here. Its one thing to buy your cothes from K-Mart cause they will probably still do the trick, but you need to make sure you buy electrtonics from reliable sources. Do you have any idea who even makes that Hyundai you bought?? what kind of panel it uses?? Who backs the warranty??? See with a well known reputable brand like NEC, Samsung or Viewsonic you know all of this.

You will also find that just matching the specs isn't the most accurate way to purchase a monitor. The main problem being that specs are not standardized. There are no standards for how you report response time and contrast so these numbers can be easily fudged.

By the way Sony is not that great of a brand when it comes to monitors. Very middle of the road.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback dude which kinda surprised me. I dont live in the US dude. I live in India. Here brands like Viewsonic etc is not really popular. Popular brands here are LG, Samsung, Sony .

I got this monitor becoz i was told its pretty good. Now its too late. All i can do it use it for a while and give feedback as to how it is.

I know someone who has also got a 17" LG so i can compare as to which one;s performance is better. (I got a 19")

thanks again for your feedback.

JG

travbomb

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I forgot LG. They make some decent product also. You will find that popular brands will vary from continent to continent quite a bit. South America and Latin America is almost all Viewsonic. Wierd how it works.

TRENDING THREADS