Sign in with
Your question

burn DVDs using a regular CD-R/RW

Last response: in Storage
April 18, 2004 5:21:49 PM

Okay i was just wondering if there is a software out there that lets you burn your DVD movied or downloaded ones using a regular CD-R/RW also if there is which one can let you play it on the DVD player.

More about : burn dvds regular

April 18, 2004 7:51:34 PM

What you want to do is create a VCD. You will have to reduce the quality of the DVD movie down to 700MB though. Maybe the movie will take 2 disks. If you're downloading them you'll see this first hand.

As far as burning DVD's on a CD burner that's obviously not going to work. You don't burn cd's in your floppy drive and you don't burn DVD's in your cd-burner.

<font color=red>___________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://www.subservientchicken.com/" target="_new">Get chicken the way you like it!</A></b>
Related resources
April 19, 2004 3:20:49 PM

i mean i see all these softwares out there that say "burn DVD just by using your CD-R/RW'' so are they lying and ofcourse i am going to download movies that is also a question that i wanted to ask. Where can i download movies thiat will work? please tell me and also tell me about the software that i will burn DVDs with so they can also work on my DVD Player not just my computer.
THANK YOU
April 19, 2004 6:35:19 PM

Quote:
i mean i see all these softwares out there that say "burn DVD just by using your CD-R/RW'' so are they lying and ofcourse i am going to download movies that is also a question that i wanted to ask. Where can i download movies thiat will work? please tell me and also tell me about the software that i will burn DVDs with so they can also work on my DVD Player not just my computer.
THANK YOU

Sorry I really thought it was a joke post. A DVD can contain all the way up to 9.4 Gigabytes of Data for a dual layer DVD, a single layer DVD can contain up to 4.7 Gigabytes of Data, a Gigabyte (Gb) is 1000 Megabytes (Mb) so you,re talking 9,400 Megabytes for a Dual Layer DVD and 4,700 MB for a Single layer DVD, a CD Disk can contain 700 Megabytes, so the only way you're going to put 4,700Mb on a 700Mb disk, is to compress the hell out of the Data, resulting in a severe loss in the quality of the DVD Playback. One of the most popular compression softwares on the market is DivX, DivX will compress the DVD Data down to an acceptable viewing level at around 1200Mb which can be burnt to 2, 700Mb CD Disks, giving you the playback quality of a VCR Tape and its called a VCD, with some serious unpleasant quality reduction and glitches compared to an actual DVD playback. A TV component DVD Player would have to have the capability of playing back a VCD, to play the recording in the first place, just a straight out DVD Player will not playback VCDs.

In my personal opinion with DVD burner prices as low as they are today it would be a complete waste of money to even put any money at all into going that route, some of the ripped(Def Below) DVD movies today even have to be compressed a little to fit on a single layer disk unless you use 2 DVD disks, but thats a very slight amount of compression compared to the compression it takes to fit the DVD to a CD Disk. I reccommend to you to get yourself an all format DVD Burner, I saw a LiteOn all format 8x burn rate DVDRW for less than $150.00, my CDRW new, cost me more than that, if you're determined to go the VCD route I'll post information sites for you below, but I strongly urge you to go with a DVDRW.

Ripped= Using a software program like Smartripper or DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink ETC. and a DVDROM drive to copy the DVD Data files to a hardrive, to either convert or straight burn to either a DVD or CD disk.

These links below will lead you to whatever you need.

<A HREF="http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/dvd_utils_co..." target="_new">I Still Suggest</A>

<A HREF="http://www.dvdsoft.net/" target="_new">Going the DVDRW route</A>

I hope this answers some of your questions and again I apoligise for the joke crack! Ryan

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Rig</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 04/19/04 03:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 24, 2004 10:56:01 PM

How big is the typical movie? If it is bigger than one dvd can you burn dual level? And if you do, and get the 9.6gigs on one dvd then do you have to flip over the disk in the middle of the movie? Whats a decent software to backup dvds?
April 25, 2004 2:49:12 AM

Dual Layer DVD Burners will be the next advancement step, usually the actually ripped from disk movie itself is around the average 90min movie will fit on a 4.7g disk with no compression. A 120min actual movie will be over 1 4.7g disk, so it will actually need to be compressed some to fit on the disk. I use Smartripper to rip the DVD Data from the DVD disk and Intervideo DVD copy to burn to the DVD-R disk.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Rig</A>
!