HD'S, RAID, and Performance

kennethlm

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2004
So here's my scenario:

I currently have 1 36GB WD Raptor (running XP PRO and Apps) and 1 120 GB WD PATA drive for storage.

I work Primarily in Photoshop and work with large files (300MB to 700MB) and am looking to upgrade the performance and security of my system. I've been thinking about two possible configurations below but I'm really at a loss on what to do.

1st:

(1) 36GB Raptor for OS and Apps
(2) 36GB Raptor drives in Raid 0 for a working drive and temporary storage (meaning I would be using this to run and store my current photoshop projects on, it would also be my scratch space)
(2) WD 120 PATA drives in Raid 1 for storage (MP3's and other stuff not backed to CD or DVD. My 40 gigs of music needs to be safe afterall. This would have to be setup using a software Raid

2nd:

(2) Raptor Drives in Raid 0 for OS, Apps, Working Drive
(2) SATA 120 GB drives in Raid 1 for storage and a photoshop sratch Disk.
(1) 120 GB WD PATA drive for misc storage and all the crap I download.

I really at a loss as to what to do exactly and could use some advice. I need good perfomance because of the size of the files I work but I also need security...Any other possible scenarios would be great as well...Will I see that much of a performance increase using 2 36 g raptors in raid 0 versus a single 74gb Raptor.

here's my system in a nutshell if it helps.

AMD athlon64 3200
Ausus k8v deluxe
1.5 GB corsair RAM
Maxtor Parhelia Video Card (3 monitors!)

Thanks
Kenny

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Absolutley the 1st setup. You'll be well-served to have a RAID 0 for your scratch disk. The single Raptor will be plenty fast for your OS and Apps, and you'll probably want the extra security of RAID 1 for storage of permanent files, depending on the value of the information of course.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
And the funny thing is that you will get WHOLE 1 second advantage in Photoshop loading after spending all the time to set the stuff up.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
I don't think he'll get any speed advantage in photoshop unless he just doesn't have enough RAM. Enough memory to hold large files would be a much better investment for the purposes of Photoshop than a RAID-0. RAID-0 is most helpful for applications like video, where information must be worked with quickly (want to get 29.97fps for NTSC so you can see your results) but it is impossible to have enough RAM to do it. (raw NTSC footage ~= 240 to 320 MB/second, GB's pile up fast...)

Whereas, in Photoshop, it is quite feasible to have enough RAM for any project you take on.

My suggestion:

1 x 36GB Raptor as system drive with windows, programs, and a little bit of space for stuff. Raptor drives are also supposed to be very reliable, so you don't have to worry as much about that drive as a normal PATA drive.

3 x 120GB drives, in a RAID-5 array. One drive can fail at any point, and the array will remain intact and working. Two drives fail, and you're buggered, but same for RAID-1 anyway, and with a 3x120GB RAID-5, you'll have 237 gigs of space to store anything you want. Also, if you get into any kind of space crunch and <i>NEED</i> to have space <i>right now</i> and can't wait for another drive to arrive, you can actually remove one drive from the raid-5, send it into degraded mode, and use it to temporarily store another 120GB of stuff. Of course, you'd put it back soon, when the new drive arrives.

When you get a RAID card, don't get one from Promise. I can back that up, but I won't go on that tirade right here right now. :wink:

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
I'd go for option 1 of the two you list. You'd certainly be better off w/ your scratch space on the RAID 0 array. Normally I'd say you probably wouldn't notice the difference, but if you're working with files ~700mb then I reckon you will. Grafix's point on RAM is definitely worth noting though.

In case you're interested, I currently use this setup:

1*Raptor - partitioned: OS // Downloads // Data Backups
1*Raptor - partitioned: Data // Misc // OS Backups
2*Raptors in RAID0 - partitioned: Apps // Games
1*Caviar - mp3s
1*Caviar - misc media storage

I'll prolly RAID1 the Caviars in the near future (if I can fit it all on!). If you do look into getting a RAID card I've had no problems with my Highpoint RocketRAID 1640.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
Most likely in Photoshop the biggest speed improvement you can make would be more associated with the amount of RAM that you have.

It's always safer to use RAID 1 on boot/system drives since on most controllers you can pop them off the controller and put them onto the motherboard controller and still boot. (Providing, of course, that the drivers are loaded?)

I am NOT a fan of RAID 0 except for work/temporary drives. (I think you have to be a real speed junkie to put your boot/system files on a RAID 0, not for me.)

I use RAID 5 when I need to have more storage than a single drive can give me, but I prefer to just stay with RAID 1.

RAID 1 saves a bunch of headaches, and gives you a lot of flexibility.

Also I just stay with "Basic Disks" as the "Dynamic Disks" bring a lot of side issues into the situation. (I'm still annoyed Microsoft NOW only supports software mirroring with "Dynamic Disks". Not really a problem for me, but an option was taken away.)

Raptors are great drives. Best used for boot/system drives, and other larger drives can be used for bulk storage.

I would vote for RAID 1 on the boot/system drive, and RAID 0, RAID 1, or RAID 5 on other drives where appropriate. (Whether that space is needed for speed, security, or size in corresponding order.)

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
I should mention, that I also work with RAID and Photoshop and huge files - made one print that was 57"x17", 300dpi, and had 92 layers... plenty big. I had 1GB of memory in the system I used for that print, and never once did it have to use scratch space for drawing in photoshop. The only hard drive accesses involved were upon save and load.

The "standard IDE" compatibility of Raid-1 is a good point. It makes things much easier when you can just unplug a drive from the raid array, plug it in to any brand of controller including ones that don't support Raid, and be able to instantly access the information. It also makes the files on the disk more easily recoverable in the unlikely case that a PS blows or something and both disks crash at once.

So, I stand by my suggestion to use the Raptor as a normal drive and do your work on it (it is almost as fast as a 2-drive raid-0 anyway) and build a second, redundant RAID system with other disks.