Possible improvement to "Disk Cleanup" applet

I've just thought of a great improvement to Microsoft's "Disk Cleanup"
applet. Why not include the "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch" folder in the list of
possible cleanup locations?

Let me know what you think of this improvement by replying to this post,
or by sending me an email at:

btaylor@wacoisp.com

-- Brandon Taylor.

Windows XP automatically cleans the prefetch files on
a regular basis. It is not wise to clean the entire prefetch
folder since it will slow your computer until the files
are rebuilt.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Brandon Taylor" wrote:

| I've just thought of a great improvement to Microsoft's "Disk Cleanup"
| applet. Why not include the "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch" folder in the list of
| possible cleanup locations?
|
| Let me know what you think of this improvement by replying to this post,
| or by sending me an email at:
|
| -- Brandon Taylor.

Really? Never thought of that one... Is there any place to go where I
can view or edit these settings?

-- Brandon Taylor.

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Windows XP automatically cleans the prefetch files on
> a regular basis. It is not wise to clean the entire prefetch
> folder since it will slow your computer until the files
> are rebuilt.

Windows XP's Built-In Optimization

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Brandon Taylor <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've just thought of a great improvement to Microsoft's "Disk Cleanup"
> applet. Why not include the "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch" folder in the list
> of possible cleanup locations?

There is no need to clean that folder.

> Let me know what you think of this improvement

What "improvement"? If you're talking about cleaning the entire folder:

"Benchmarking on Windows XP"
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx

"Windows XP Performance"
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/xpperf.mspx

"Fast System Startup for PCs Running Windows XP"
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/fastboot-winxp.mspx

--
d-d