Replace Rambus with DDR on Dell 8250?

nixhex

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I've been told by Dell that my 8250 is directly linked with having to use Rambus Ram. It's a p4 2.4ghz with 256mb of Rambus. I think it's the 800mhz version also. Is it possible that the motherboard would limit me to having to use Rambus or are they screwing with me? It's going to cost my $350 more dollars just to buy another 256 megs in 2 sticks, and DDR would be SOOOOOOOOOOO much cheaper (and faster as far as i can tell). Any input guys?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Rambus uses different chipsets than DDR. Also the slots are different. You can't change a Rambus board to use DDR, you would have to replace the entire board instead.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

nixhex

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
wheres the best place to buy cheap rambus? and is ddr faster?
also, would it be easier and cheaper to buy a new motherboard and ddr ram? if so, which ones do you guy suggest?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nixhex on 04/19/04 10:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
PC1066 on the i850E was the fastest combination available for the 533 bus. Other memory and bus speeds tend to favor DDR more or less. Dell probably used PC800-40 because of Intel's refusal to validate PC1066 on their chipsets.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Someone posted a link a while back but I can't seem to find it. You could try finding a vender through Pricewatch, but you'll want to check their ratings or ask around about a vender before making an order from one you're not familiar with.