Sign in with
Your question

Dell Alienware M11x R3 Mobile Broadband Issues

Last response: in Mobile Computing
May 12, 2011 12:23:30 PM

Ok so, i got my M11x R3 yesterday after a long wait from the US and it's all working brilliant except for a few things (as always, nothings perfect).

I got a Dell DW5620 Mobile Broadband card in the laptop, and an at&t SIM which is completely useless as you can imagine. (I'm from the UK by the way) I bet you can guess what the problem is without me telling you, but yes, it is locked to a specific provider. Namingly Verizon, which is strange considering an at&t SIM was installed.

Anyhow, i've done plenty of research and the modem can still support our networks and what not, it just needs activating and unlocking.

After installing the Dell software for the device it loads up and instantly says the device needs activating. Upon clicking this however it says 'Hey! Lets connect to Verizon to activate your card when its thousands of miles away!' - It fails. I've tried changing the operator for the device but the only one you can select is Verizon from the list and creating new profiles in the software does nothing.

I've tried other software which has detected the card such as Sony's OneClick software which detects the device, says it needs activating, tries to activate it, and fails, except without all the Verizon advertisements and rubbish.

Anyway, its clear to me that the card needs to be somehow unlocked, but i can't find a how-to anywhere as i believe its a fairly new card. I can buy the same card on eBay for £60 setup for T-mobile, but i'de rather not purchase the same thing twice.

If anyone can help that'd be great. The card is a Gobi 2000, made by Qualcomm. However it says it's a Novatel on the card settings. If you need any information i'll try and provide it. Thanks.
June 5, 2011 6:53:28 AM

Spizzy said:
Ok so, i got my M11x R3 yesterday after a long wait from the US and it's all working brilliant except for a few things (as always, nothings perfect).

I got a Dell DW5620 Mobile Broadband card in the laptop, and an at&t SIM which is completely useless as you can imagine. (I'm from the UK by the way) I bet you can guess what the problem is without me telling you, but yes, it is locked to a specific provider. Namingly Verizon, which is strange considering an at&t SIM was installed.

Anyhow, i've done plenty of research and the modem can still support our networks and what not, it just needs activating and unlocking.

After installing the Dell software for the device it loads up and instantly says the device needs activating. Upon clicking this however it says 'Hey! Lets connect to Verizon to activate your card when its thousands of miles away!' - It fails. I've tried changing the operator for the device but the only one you can select is Verizon from the list and creating new profiles in the software does nothing.

I've tried other software which has detected the card such as Sony's OneClick software which detects the device, says it needs activating, tries to activate it, and fails, except without all the Verizon advertisements and rubbish.

Anyway, its clear to me that the card needs to be somehow unlocked, but i can't find a how-to anywhere as i believe its a fairly new card. I can buy the same card on eBay for £60 setup for T-mobile, but i'de rather not purchase the same thing twice.

If anyone can help that'd be great. The card is a Gobi 2000, made by Qualcomm. However it says it's a Novatel on the card settings. If you need any information i'll try and provide it. Thanks.

Hey Spizzy. In the Novatel window, click the inverted triangle in the upper-left hand corner to get to the menu and from there it should allow you to select your network. It's not locked, just defaulting to Verizon.
!