Sign in with
Your question

laptop for developers

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
September 30, 2008 11:12:25 AM

1_What is your budget?
1000-1500$
2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" and above

3_What screen resolution do you want?
1280*800

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

5_How much battery life do you need?
more than 3 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
not a necessarily

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
play music, watching movies

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
above 250GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the lin
ks to them.
http://www.sonystyle.com

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
more than 3 years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
should be able to rurn some servers and moderate heavy IDES (Eclipse, Visual Studios)

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
prefer - hp, vaio, compac
13_What country do you live in?
Singapore

More about : laptop developers

October 1, 2008 6:25:25 AM

hi dudes,

i am looking for a laptop that is suitable for my development purposes. i should be able to run some server softwares and parallel run my moderate heavy IDEs such as Eclipse or Visual Studios. Should also allow me to watch some movies.

if guys can recommend me some good models that you have comeacross or experienced with, please share with me and please share any key features that i should be looking into.

Thanks
October 1, 2008 1:39:32 PM

Hey kbird.

I have been working for a web development company for 2 months now and we use Dell Vostro 15.4" Notebooks.

Have been using Visual Studio to do all my work, along with Adobe CS3. Also been using SQLyog to access and store data in databases!

But to be honest mate, any laptop with 2GB RAM or more should be able to handle VS!! I find its more about dealing with the size of the framework.
Related resources
October 1, 2008 4:06:28 PM

For dev* work, I've used Dell Latitude D600 series, Compaq EVO (N160, N800), Acer TravelMate 2434 and IBM / Lenovo T22, T23 (SXGA+) and T42p.

Things I've learned:
  • How much memory do you need? More. Run a 64-bit OS if you can.

• On that note, discrete video is your friend. You don't care what it is. Just make sure it's discrete and not UMA/SMA.

• Screen real estate is critical. For using the laptop as is, you want the highest resolution you can get without going price bonkers: SXGA+/1400-1050 for standard or WUXGA/1920/1200 for wide.
    For dual monitor, a docking station makes running dual monitors easier. If you run a single widescreen monitor (also at least WUXGA, but larger dimension: like 22" minimum), you don't need a docking station for the monitor if the laptop has the appropriate output.

• I always wish my hard drive was faster (don;t we all?). If I had a choice I would go for 7200RPM or $olid$tate ($$$).

*dev work: Started with java applets, then full blown J2EE, then ASP.NET, then LAMP, now its Java with Eclipse and DB2.
    October 1, 2008 4:57:16 PM

Ok, recommendations, if you are wont to value screen size over anything else, then:
    17:
    MSI GX700 -- comes in 17in screen with either WSXGA+ or WUXGA and you can get the WUXGA at right under $1500.
    HP 8710w -- also has the option for WSXGA+ or WUXGA
    15.4:
    Dell Precision M4300 / M4400 (see if you can get a good deal)
    Sager NP2096 / Compal JHL90 (WSXGA+)
    HP 8510W -- The 15.4 inch version of the 8710W
    Lenovo T61 (WSXGA+)
    Lenovo W500 (WSXGA+ or WUXGA)

I didn't see anything from Sony that beats features of above at the given price range.
    !