Installing Windows Server 2003 on a PC with WindowsXP - He..

June 23, 2005 4:43:01 PM

I want to install Windows Server 2003 operating system on a machine with
Windows xp . I have been advised, by various people, to do one of the
following
a) Install it over Windows XP (after backing up the hard drive) .
b) Partition the drive (after backing up the hard drive) and installing it
in the new partition.
c) Install it on an external drive.

I have only got the 180 day evaluation copy of Windows Server 2003 so I need
to move fairly quickly on this. So which option should it be?
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:56:14 PM

Mike, Liverpool wrote:
> I want to install Windows Server 2003 operating system on a machine
> with Windows xp . I have been advised, by various people, to do one
> of the following
> a) Install it over Windows XP (after backing up the hard drive) .
> b) Partition the drive (after backing up the hard drive) and
> installing it in the new partition.
> c) Install it on an external drive.
>
> I have only got the 180 day evaluation copy of Windows Server 2003 so
> I need to move fairly quickly on this. So which option should it be?

Your 180 days start after you install.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

You cannot install Windows Server 2003 "over Windows XP", nor
can you install it on an external drive. It must be installed only on
an available empty partition or drive. If you wish to retain Windows XP,
then you'll need a third-party partitioning program to create a new partition.

Partition Magic 8
http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mike, Liverpool" wrote:

| I want to install Windows Server 2003 operating system on a machine with
| Windows xp . I have been advised, by various people, to do one of the
| following
| a) Install it over Windows XP (after backing up the hard drive) .
| b) Partition the drive (after backing up the hard drive) and installing it
| in the new partition.
| c) Install it on an external drive.
|
| I have only got the 180 day evaluation copy of Windows Server 2003 so I need
| to move fairly quickly on this. So which option should it be?

June 23, 2005 7:57:42 PM

Partition the drive and install it to the new partition. You'll wind up with a dual boot scenario.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

The steps are the same to install Server 2003, run setup from within XP.

To non-destructively repartition your drive, you'll need a utility like Partition Magic or BootIt Next Generation.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Mike, Liverpool" <Mike, Liverpool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:51FA7BE2-E00F-451E-B9FB-3ED1F494AD02@microsoft.com...
>I want to install Windows Server 2003 operating system on a machine with
> Windows xp . I have been advised, by various people, to do one of the
> following
> a) Install it over Windows XP (after backing up the hard drive) .
> b) Partition the drive (after backing up the hard drive) and installing it
> in the new partition.
> c) Install it on an external drive.
>
> I have only got the 180 day evaluation copy of Windows Server 2003 so I need
> to move fairly quickly on this. So which option should it be?

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 10:27:44 PM

"Mike, Liverpool" <Mike, Liverpool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:51FA7BE2-E00F-451E-B9FB-3ED1F494AD02@microsoft.com...
|I want to install Windows Server 2003 operating system on a machine
with
| Windows xp . I have been advised, by various people, to do one of the
| following
| a) Install it over Windows XP (after backing up the hard drive) .
| b) Partition the drive (after backing up the hard drive) and
installing it
| in the new partition.
| c) Install it on an external drive.
|
| I have only got the 180 day evaluation copy of Windows Server 2003 so
I need
| to move fairly quickly on this. So which option should it be?

The safest, especially with a trial version would be to clean up and
remove
the HDD with WindowsXP. Then install Windows2003Server on a different
drive.
!